WXV: Sao Paulo Pumas

Started by CrowsFan, November 14, 2011, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrowsFan

Round 9 - Pumas Show Some Majak to Defeat the Tigers

New Delhi Tigers (17.6.108) lost to Sao Paulo Pumas (20.16.136)

Best
New Delhi: R Bastinac, J Podsiadly
Sao Paulo: R Sloane, G Ablett jnr, S Hill, W Minson

A total of 6 changes were made to the squad that went down to Dublin last week, some were forced, but others due to poor form. The most notable in was Majak Daw who was making his debut for the Pumas after biding his time for the first 2 seasons without getting a game. It was a relatively subdued affair by both clubs and certainly not one for the highlights reel, with scrappy football played by both teams resulting in a low scoring spectacle for the viewers.

Sam Jacobs got injured early on, however Minson did a fine job rucking solo for the majority of the match, getting the ball in to the hands of Sloane, Ablett and Hill with great frequency. Majak Daw didn't look out of place on debut, and even helped out a little in the ruck when required. The big news however was young forward Marco Paparone picking up the rising star nomination after a superb match up forward. The future looks bright for this young lad as long as he keeps working hard.

Although the game was low scoring it was great for the Pumas to bounce back so quickly after the defeat last round, and with a tricky match against the Samurai next round now is as good as time as any to get some runs on the board.

Reserves

Mumbai Elephants (14.8.92) defeated Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (10.6.66)

Best
Mumbai: K Cheney, W Langford, R Bail
Rio de Janeiro: D Smith, M Wallis

Another loss for the Jaguars against the mighty Mumbai who haven't lost a game yet. After being rested for the seniors Devon Smith put in a MOTM display, and is looking very refreshed, ready to come back in to the Pumas team next round. Mitch Wallis and Taylor Adams were both influential in the midfield after spending a few weeks each on the sidelines. That depth may be important late in the season when fatigue and injuries can take their toll.

Nige

This is the bit where I would taunt Sao Paulo if we hadn't had such an inconsistent year and they didn't almost break a record last week.  :P

CrowsFan

Round 10 - Roaring Pumas Put Competition on Notice

Sao Paulo Pumas (28.17.185) defeated Tokyo Samurai (19.10.124)

Best
Sao Paulo: Jarryd Roughead, H Hartlett, G Ablett jnr, D Zaharakis, S Hill, S Jacobs, R Sloane, B Houli, D Smith, A Walker
Tokyo: K Jack, L Shuey, L Parker, G Ibbotson

Technically Pumas can't actually roar, but with a performance like that we'll let that slide... Well what can be said about this match against the Samurai? The Pumas put on their best performance in the history of the WVX, setting a club record for highest score ever, but sadly sit second on the list behind rivals Buenos Aires for highest score by any club. This 61 point victory over Tokyo reminded all other clubs to not write off the Pumas from going back to back, after many had narrowed it down to a 3 team race for the flag, omitting Sao Paolo from calculations.

Not a single foot was put wrong this round and the whole team has to be congratulated on a fine performance. Too many contributions to name them all individually, which is what has been missing most weeks, with usually only 3-4 really stepping up each week, so it was great to the whole team busting their gut for each other. This performance needs to be backed up next week against the tough and unpredictable Cairo Sands.

Reserves
Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (7.8.50) lost to Yuzawa Typhoon (15.8.98)

Best
Rio de Janeiro: L Lowden
Yuzawa: J Rivers, P Ambrose, N Suban, S Ross

The Jaguars just can't buy a win at the moment. But what was great to see was Luke Lowden make his debut for the Jaguars after being on the list since the formation of the WXVs. It was an emotional moment for the lad when hew was told he was finally due to make his debut for the reserves. It's just the first step on the road to making his Puma debut and we wish him all the best.

CrowsFan

Quote from: NigeyS on June 13, 2014, 03:30:23 PM
This is the bit where I would taunt Sao Paulo if we hadn't had such an inconsistent year and they didn't almost break a record last week.  :P
Haha we have been pretty up and down with our scoring too. You just have to hope Ablett doesn't turn up ;)

elephants

I really should have listened to you when you told me 1000 times last off-season that Polec is a gun and offered a trade... :(

CrowsFan

Quote from: elephants on June 14, 2014, 12:47:45 PM
I really should have listened to you when you told me 1000 times last off-season that Polec is a gun and offered a trade... :(
Everyone should listen to me when I say people are guns (or going to be) ;)

What was the offer between us? Some type of swap for Vlastuin right?

elephants

Quote from: Honey Badger on June 14, 2014, 01:59:16 PM

Yeah I can't remember, that does ring a bell though :( We traded Vlasty for picks 11 and 14 who we used on Nank who will be an SC star and Garlett who... ugh.

Nige

Quote from: elephants on June 14, 2014, 02:09:16 PM

Yeah I can't remember, that does ring a bell though :( We traded Vlasty for picks 11 and 14 who we used on Nank who will be an SC star and Garlett who... ugh.
Garlett was always a huge risk, just a shame it didn't pay off.

Got him rotting in our Euros forward line too.

elephants

Quote from: NigeyS on June 14, 2014, 02:28:53 PM
Quote from: elephants on June 14, 2014, 02:09:16 PM

Garlett was always a huge risk, just a shame it didn't pay off.

Got him rotting in our Euros forward line too.

Huge risk, huge reward :'(

Playing down South somewhere now...

Nige

Quote from: NigeyS on June 13, 2014, 03:30:23 PM
Some kind of reverse psychology?  ??? :P

CrowsFan

Round 11 - Pumas Whimper During Sandstorm

Cairo Sands (26.12.168) defeated Sao Paulo Pumas (22.16.148)

Best
Cairo: D Prestia, J McGovern, P Hanley, B Smith, A Carrazzo, S Mumford, E MacKenzie, N Malceski, S Dwyer
Sao Paulo: D Zaharakis, R Sloane, S Jacobs, R Harwood, G Ablett jnr, M Paparone

Sao Paulo fell to their 4th loss of the season against a very strong Cairo squad, however the loss was even more disappointing because of the inconsistency shown in the Pumas outfit. Fresh off the best ever Pumas performance last week the team scored almost 40 points less and looked all round disinterested in the match. The usual suspects Ablett and Sloane wore their heart on their sleeve like they do every week, whilst Zaha is in a rich vein of form. Youngsters Harwood and Paparone were both very impressive, but apart from them the rest of the team was quite poor. Things weren't helped when superstar midfielder Hartlett went down injured very early in the match, causing us to play most of the match a man down. Barring Paparone none of the other forwards fired, which showed drastically on the scoreboard.

A disappointing week, but true champions put defeats behind them immediately and start focusing on the upcoming game. Let's hope the Pumas can do just that when they take on Seoul next week.

Reserves
Alexandria Hieroglyphics (14.12.96) defeated Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (9.8.62)

Best
Alexandria: T Chaplin, S Rowe
Rio de Janeiro: T Adams, M Wallis

A disappointing performance by the reserves again this week, condemning them to their 6th loss in a row. Promising midfielders Taylor Adams and 2012 Rising Star Mitch Wallis were solid, but will need to show consistency in their performances if they want to have any chance of breaking back in to the senior squad. Adams played 10 games in his first year as a Puma last year, whilst Wallis made 19 appearances in 2 seasons, yet neither have featured for the Pumas yet this year. They need to knuckle down and work hard if they want to get back in the squad with other mids passing them in the pecking order.

CrowsFan

Round 12 - Pumas Dine on Stale 'Pies

Sao Paulo Pumas (24.15.159) defeated Seoul Magpies (18.12.120)

Best

Sao Paulo: G Ablett jnr, S Jacobs, M Wright
Seoul: M LeCras, B Gibbs, S Coniglio

The Pumas are back on the winners list in fine fashion, downing Seoul by a whopping 39 points. With few standout players this week it was more of a solid team effort pumping the Pumas to a score of 159. The best player in the world Ablett again led the way, but was aided by superb work by ruckman Sam Jacobs all day. Comentary along the lines of "Jacobs taps it down to Ablett, who avoids a tackle and spears the pass in to Wright. Matty goes back and slots the goal," was heard consistently throughout the game.

Seoul was no match for the Pumas this week, but they must remain focused and not get complacent when they come up against Wellington next week who have shown some form the last few weeks with the return of their marquee player Tex Walker.

Reserves
Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (13.14.92) defeated Pyongyang Chollimas (11.8.74)

Best
Rio de Janeiro: C Masten, T Adams, S Kersten
Pyongyang: M Weller, H Hocking

JAGUARS WIN! JAGUARS WIN! JAGUARS WIN!
A six game losing streak was broken this week against Pyongyang. It was well deserved for the hard work they have all been putting in at training. Masten was BOG for the Rio, with Adams backing up last weeks display with another fine effort. Shane Kersten and the Pumas' second pick in last years draft Zak Jones both made their debut for the Jaguars. Despite picking up BOG honours Masten will be disappointed that he has been relegated to a reserves spot, having spent the last 3 matches playing for Rio. It's been a difficult year for Chris, who after performing so well last year has struggled with form and consistency this year, a trait shown by many in the squad to be fair, but which seems to be affecting him more. Well down on last years output Chris needs to get his head right if he wants to fight for his spot back in the Pumas lineup before the finals start.

CrowsFan

Round 13 - Warriors Surrender to Pumas

Wellington Warriors (20.16.136) lost to Sao Paulo Pumas (24.20.164)

Best
Wellington: I Smith, L Taylor, B Deledio
Sao Paulo: S Jacobs, G Ablett jnr, S Hill, R Sloane, W Minson, D Smith, R Harwood

Despite improved recent performances by bottom of the ladder Wellington, they were never really in this match with the Pumas strolling to a 28 point victory to keep the pressure on the top 3. Sam Jacobs was the star of the day winning contest after contest giving first use of the ball to superstars Ablett, Sloane and Hill. With the improvements of Hill and Zaharakis this year the Pumas midfield is looking far more dangerous than previous seasons when it was mostly left to Ablett and Sloane to shoulder the burden. But with Hill and Zaha both stepping up it means that we have been able to cover the desperately out of form Chris Masten and the little niggles picked up by Hartlett and Polec.

Others to impress in this match were youngsters Devon Smith and Ryan Harwood. Devon has really improved his output up forward this year. After playing 10 games in his first 2 years at the club, Smith has now doubled his games tally and is looking very comfortable up forward. Whilst Harwood is in a similar position defensively, having played 9 games in his first 2 seasons, he has already played 7 this year and looks like he will be adding to that each week. In a season fraught with defensive issues, the improvement of Harwood has been a blessing.

Finally, last years second pick for the Pumas in the international draft, Zak Jones, made his debut on the weekend, and did not look out of place in the back half. The future looks bright for the young tough nut.

Reserves
Wellington Warriors (14.8.92) lost to Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (17.13.115)

Best
Wellington: N Foley, T Colyer
Rio de Janeiro: J Stringer, T Adams, M Wallis, C Masten

Two in a row for the Jaguars, who are improving each week, but just have to hope they haven't left it too late to challenge for a spot in the top 8 after that disastrous losing streak mid-season. Jake Stringer impressed up forward and was supported by a brilliant midfield trio of Adams, Wallis and Masten. Rookie listed Blaine Johnson made his Jaguar debut and performed ok.

CrowsFan

Round 14 - Major Injury Sours Regulation Win

Sao Paulo Pumas (22.17.149) defeated Pacific Islanders (17.12.114)

Best
Sao Paulo: J Gunston, R Sloane, D Zaharakis, A Walker, H Hartlett, S Jacobs
Pacific: M Bontempelli, S Gibson

What was meant to be a simple win and percentage booster for the Pumas turned into a disastrous weekend, with club captain and superstar Gary Ablett dislocating his shoulder, forcing him out of the game. The extent of the injury is still unknown, but early speculation is saying he will miss at least 4 weeks, meaning he may not be available until the second week of the finals series. With PNL and Moscow breathing down the Pumas necks pushing for that 4th spot, it is all the more vital to try and maintain 4th so we get that second chance, just in case Ablett can't return. More details will come when the full extent is known...

On to the game though and plenty of stars picked up the slack in the absence of Ablett. Sloane, Zaha and Hartlett dominated the midfield battle, giving the ball to Gunston up front who could not be stopped by the Islander defense. When the ball did occasionally venture in to the Islanders forward 50 Andrew Walker was there to mop it up most of the time, putting in his best performance of the season. Walker hasn't hit the heights of last season that won him the leagues MVP, but he has been solid none-the-less down back this year.

Next weeks match against the Cobras poses many questions for the Pumas... How will they cope without Ablett leading the team? Who will captain the side? Is the back to back premiership dream over? All these questions and more will be answered in the upcoming weeks...

Reserves
Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (20.21.141) defeated Port Morseby Iguanadons (20.16.136)

Best
Rio de Janeiro: W Minson, S White, M Wallis, J Stringer
Port Morseby: S Day, J Witts, L Brown, B Sheppard, D Terlich, R Stanley, L Thomas

What a performance by the Jaguars!! Will Minson who was being rested for next weeks clash against the Cobras was dominant all day leading the Jaguars to an impressive win. Three wins in a row now for the Jaguars who are pressing hard to get in to the top 8. Brett O'Hanlon made his first appearance for the Jaguars since 2012.

ossie85