WXV: Sao Paulo Pumas

Started by CrowsFan, November 14, 2011, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Quote from: roo boys! on April 24, 2014, 10:58:27 AM
Quote from: Nails on April 13, 2014, 11:44:26 PM
Quote from: Honey Badger on April 13, 2014, 11:34:37 PM
Quote from: Nails on April 13, 2014, 11:32:07 PM
In other news Pumas thanking their lucky stars that they weren't fixtured against Dillos this week and were lucky to have Wolves.
Could say the same thing for last round. In fact I will...

Dillos thanking their lucky stars that they weren't fixtured against Pumas this week and were lucky to have Wolves.

We'll just have to see when we play in round 17 ;)

Toronto Wolves - the team to play when scoring just enough is good enough.
Bit late to reply to this...but unfortunately it is true.

I do remember knocking a certain Buenos Aires side out of finals a couple years back though

.... well, you'd remember wrong!

Justin Bieber

Quote from: ossie85 on April 24, 2014, 11:02:31 AM
In other news Pumas thanking their lucky stars that they weren't fixtured against Dillos this week and were lucky to have Wolves.

Dillos thanking their lucky stars that they weren't fixtured against Pumas this week and were lucky to have Wolves.

I do remember knocking a certain Buenos Aires side out of finals a couple years back though
OH SNAP *snap *snap *snap

Nice write ups CF as usual. Polec looks to finally be over his injuries and found a spot in a team's 22, and killing it :o.

CrowsFan

Thanks HP. Yep Polec is killing it! Certainly making my trade to get him look like it is going to pay off. Now I just need Buntine to start playing and I will have killed that trade (Cross for Polec + Buntine)! Buntine averaging 24 touches a game this season in the NEAFL, so surely will get a shot soon...

roo boys!

Quote from: ossie85 on April 24, 2014, 11:02:31 AM

That's a tad embarrassing, for some reason I remember winning the 2012 Semi Final against a PowerBug coached Buenos side. Checking my records and indeed I wasn't even close!

Nails

Buenos Aires are back to back prelim finalists RB.

So unless you made the granny one season... ;)

roo boys!

Quote from: Nails on April 25, 2014, 12:00:56 AM
Buenos Aires are back to back prelim finalists RB.

So unless you made the granny one season... ;)
Yeah, 2014

Nails

Anyway, back on topic

How are you tracking this week CF?

CrowsFan

Just the 2 played so far and both were average. Still playing with only 2 defenders, which is very frustrating!

CrowsFan

Round 6 - Four in a Row for Punishing Pumas

Sao Paulo Pumas (23.13.151) defeated Beijing Thunder (19.8.122)

Best
Sao Paulo: G Ablett jnr, R Sloane, M Wright
Beijing: J Aish

A dominant team effort has seen the Pumas march to their fourth straight win, downing the disappointing Thuder 151 to 122. As has been the case all season Ablett lead from the front and was backed by his able deputy Rory Sloane. Wright shone up forward. Apart from that it was just a solid team performance with the rest of the lot putting in good, but not excellent matches. Next round we face the Reindeer in France, so more of the excellent performances will be needed if we want to inflict PNL with their thier loss of the season and give some breathing space between us.

Reserves
Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (8.8.56) lost to Shanghai Storm (10.7.67)

Best
Rio de Janeiro: J Stringer
Shanghai: M Jones

A disappointing match in the reserves going down to the Storm. Jake Stringer performed admirably and if can continue that form may find his way back in the senior side in the future. Simon White also performed well down back. In good news for the club young guns Majak Daw and Jono O'Rourke played their first games for the season and were solid enough. Everyone is very excited with their potential and hopefully they can start to consistently get some games.

CrowsFan

Round 7 - Pumas Maul Tame Reindeer

PNL Reindeers (21.12.138) lost to Sao Paulo Pumas (23.21.159)

Best
PNL: C Rioli, K Simpson, F Ray, C Enright
Sao Paulo: G Ablett jnr, J Polec, Jarryd Roughead, S Jacobs, A Walker, R Sloane, D Smith

A punishing 21 point win over the Reindeer has put the rest of the competition on notice that the Pumas are back in form after a shaky start to the season. It's starting to sound like an echo, but once again Gary Ablett lead the way brilliantly. Jared Polec put in his best performance for the club and is going from strength to strength this season, it's amazing what a bit of confidence can do for a man. Other starring players were Roughy who had gone through a slight rough patch, and Sam Jacobs dominated the ruck duel.

More of the same is required for the next round as we host the up and coming Dublin Destroyers in what is being billed as the match of the round. Five wins in a row for the Pumas, but all that hard work could unravel this week if they don't show up against a star studded Destroyer outfit.

Reserves
Marseille Kings (24.18.162) defeated Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (11.9.75)

Best
Marseille: C Dawes, D Shiel, L McPharlin, L Casboult
Rio de Janeiro: J Stringer, M Paparone

A heavy defeat for the Jaguars this week against one of the strongest reserves sides going around. Jake Stringer put in his second MOTM performance in a row, whilst fellow forward Marco Paparone was also impressive. Majak Daw toiled away in the ruck, and rookie listed midfielder Ben Newton made his debut for the club and performed admirably.

ossie85

The one time Ablett goes bad....

Nige

Quote from: ossie85 on May 25, 2014, 06:28:05 PM

Read my mind Oss, was on my way to post the same thing.  :o

Nails

We both know he'll score 200 against Dillos or if he's not captain the guy playing for the Pumas will. It's BS. CF always manages to beat the Dillos.

CF - how does it feel knowing that every season no matter what you're guaranteed at least one win? Even if you went on a total rebuilding phase you'd still beat us.

CrowsFan

Quote from: ossie85 on May 25, 2014, 06:28:05 PM

Haha yeah I love it. I told him and Sloane that they should both take it easy during the representative round, since I didn't want them tiring for the back end of the season  :-X ;)

CrowsFan

Round 8 - Dublin Destroys Pumas Winning Streak

Sao Paulo Pumas (23.20.158) lost to Dublin Destroyers (26.18.174)

Best
Sao Paulo: G Ablett jnr, S Jacobs, W Minson, R Sloane, H Hartlett
Dublin: J Watson, J Selwood, N Dal Santo, T Rockliff, R Gray, D Mundy, A Rance, T Goldstein

Despite hitting the scoreboard with regularity against Dublin it was a leaky defense that ultimately gave the game away against a very strong Dublin side in this high scoring encounter which ended in a 16 point loss to the Pumas. It was the first loss in a while after Sao Paulo had compiled 5 wins on the trot, a set back that could prove costly later on.

The midfield was again dominant with Sam Jacobs and Will Minson getting it in to the hands of Ablett, Sloane and Hartlett with ease all day long. Sadly that was where it ended for positives, with the defense and the forwards having a day to forget, whilst fresh from his MOTM display against PNL Jared Polec was subdued, looking a little lethargic and tired.

Despite the loss there was still indications that the season is shaping up well for the Pumas. A match against fellow felines the New Delhi Tigers next round will hopefully get us back on the winning streak.

Reserves
Rio de Janeiro Jaguars (14.10.94) lost to Belfast Braves (16.13.109)

Best
Rio de Janeiro: M Paparone, M Daw
Belfast: S Grigg

Despite the loss there were some strong showings from forward Marco Paparone and forward/ruck Majak Daw. Good news considering how poorly the forwards did in the seniors, so some changes may be made for the next match. Stephen Hill played in the reserves after missing last week through injury, so may come back in to the side against the Tigers.