WXV: Sao Paulo Pumas

Started by CrowsFan, November 14, 2011, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrowsFan

Gato Grande

And now it's time for what you've all been waiting for. The presentation of the Gato Grande... In 3rd place on 47 votes is this years MVP and the Pumas' Best First Year player, none other than Andrew Walker. In 2nd place, on 53 votes and just missing out on his second Gato Grande is Gary Ablett! Ablett has had a magnificent year, picking up a premiership medallion, the Jim Stynes Medal, the Ayres/McLeod Medal and also the O'Brien Medal. His list of achievements just keeps growing! But if Ablett came second, then who has won? That's right you guessed it... The winner of the Gato Grande with an impressive 61 votes is fan favourite Will Minson! Big Will was a revelation this year, dominating the ruck for the Pumas, to give our midfielders first use of the footy. So consistent was his year that he polled in 19 of the 21 matches this season. This consistency was rewarded with him captaining the side in the grand final match against Mexico City. Congratulations Will, this is a very much deserved award!

So there we have it folks, everything is just wrapping up here. Below are graphics of how everyone fared voting wise in every match this season. Congratulations to all winners, and congrats to everyone at the Pumas for such a terrific season!

Gato Grande

Gatinho

CrowsFan

Quote from: Purple 77 on September 02, 2013, 07:25:35 PM
2 from 2!

Duncan should make it 3, but Minson is ruining my plans!
3 out of 4 certainly isn't a bad effort ;)

Purple 77

Minson! Who ta thunk it?

Ablett wins the JS, and is up there with the MVP, but can't get the B & F haha

CrowsFan

Yeah who would have picked that at the start of the season! Interesting to see that even though everyone was doging on Hartlett almost all season he still ended up 4th in my B&F with 39 votes! As you can see with only 3 midfielders in the top 10 my voting system is definitely not mid friendly!

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Purple 77 on September 02, 2013, 07:42:48 PM
Minson! Who ta thunk it?

Ablett wins the JS, and is up there with the MVP, but can't get the B & F haha
I know right! I picked Ablett, Duncan, Minson and Walker, so only 2/4 right haha. Minson certainly had a massive year and his finals campaign was top notch :o. If Ablett can win most other big awards, but not the B&F like Purps said, scary thoughts with the talent you have :-X.

Great write ups CF, was a fun read! :D.

Jukes

Buntine 3 votes in the grand final, GOAT player

ossie85

Terrific read cf! Munson deserving winner, who was unlucky to miss All-Worlds selection

CrowsFan

Thanks guys :) Thought Minson winning my surprise a few, but Minson killed it towards the end of the season whereas Ablett dropped off and didn't register a vote in 3 of the 4 finals!

Jukes if Buntine had continued on that same scoring pattern and played the same number of games as Minson he would have polled 63 votes to win by 2 haha!

CrowsFan

Dual Gatinho Medalist Departs Club

Mitch Duncan has left the Puma Den in search of a more assured place in the senior team. He will however remain a cat, moving from the Pumas to the Tigers in New Delhi. It is sad to see such a promising youngster leave the team, but understandable that he wants more first team football. In the two years at the club Duncan played just 13 games for the Pumas, 12 of which were this year, and had looked like he had cemented his place in the team after playing the last 9 matches and being a part of the premiership winning side, but the lure of a higher pay packet and a greater leadership role at the Tigers was one he couldn't ignore. We caught up with Mitch after the announcement the trade had passed and he had this to say.

"Look, it's a hard time to leave the club after such success, but I just felt it was time to move on and try to show myself as an elite midfielder rather than be left behind the likes of Gary (Ablett), Rory (Sloane) and Chris (Masten). They are all great blokes, but with the strength and depth of the Puma midfield I just wanted to make a fresh start somewhere else where I can forge a name for myself.

I'm really looking forward to the move to New Delhi, elephants and Ricochet are great coaches and I want to be part of the team that helps turn around the fortunes of the Tigers after a poor season. I've tasted the highs at the Pumas, winning the premiership as well as winning the two Gatinho's, but now it's time to work hard and help a club fight to build it's way up.

I'll never forget my time at the Pumas, and I have a huge amount of gratitude towards coach CrowsFan who gave me my chance. During my first season I was getting frustrated that I was performing well at reserves level but couldn't break in to the Puma side. CF told me to just keep working at it and my time will come. I finally got my debut in the finals last year, but sadly that was a loss and we were out of the competition. So I worked hard all pre season ready to show what I could do. Again I started the season in the reserves, but again CF told me my time would come and I believed him. When I got my chance I took it and didn't want to give it up for anyone. I felt so lucky that I was part of the team to win the premiership, it was the best moment in my footy career so far.

Thanks so much to CF for everything he has done for me, and thanks to the rest of the playing group for making me feel as if I truly belonged in Brazil. A big thanks to the fans too who always supported me. I will miss this club a great deal, but I have high hopes for the rest of my career. Perhaps one day I will come back to the Pumas..."

So Duncan departs, but what do the Pumas gain in return? After the season finished CrowsFan identified the biggest issue in the squad was a lack of forward options. Walker has transformed himself as a defender and Whitecross unfortunately reruptured his ACL, so the forward depth was sparse. So unsurprisingly the Pumas have gained a forward in return, and in the usual CF manner it is a young forward with plenty of potential, Jake Stringer will be making the trip to Sao Paulo. Taken with pick 7 in the International Draft last year the Pumas are extremely pleased to secure this exciting prospect and hope to see him make his debut early next year. The rest of the trade saw international pick 57 go to New Delhi, whilst another promising youngster Ben Jacobs also moves to Pumas. Sadly Stringer, Jacobs and CrowsFan were all unavailable for comment at this point in time.

The list of young, exciting, promising players at the Pumas is endless, which should leave the Pumas in good stead to try and defend their premiership next season and remain a fighting force for years to come. Go Pumas!

Nige

Got a few accolades does Dunk.  :o

ossie85

And the Premiership side starts to crumble already! If Buntine leaves it will be a body blow....

Nige

I heard a rumour that Chris Masten wants to come back to Cairo.  :o ;)

Let the exodus continue!

Purple 77

Lol, he remains a cat, what a delightful coincidence haha, that was good  ;D

CrowsFan

Quote from: ossie85 on October 04, 2013, 04:04:14 PM

And the Premiership side starts to crumble already! If Buntine leaves it will be a body blow....
Everybody panic!!!

Hmm let's see how this plays out. My premiership team was...

Houli, Roberton, Harwood, Buntine
Ablett, Sloane, Masten, Duncan
Minson
Walker, Roughead, Gunston, Whitecross
Jacobs, Adams

Trades and positional changes can see my team line up like this (WhiteX injured)...

Walker, Waters, Houli, Roberton/Harwood
Ablett, Sloane, Masten, Hartlett
Minson
Roughead, Gunston, Devon Smith, Wright
Jacobs, Adams/Zaha/Hill/Wallis

The F4 spot still looks troublesome, but apart from that very strong team :)

CrowsFan

Quote from: NigeyS on October 04, 2013, 02:45:37 PM
Got a few accolades does Dunk.  :o
2013 Premiership Player
2012 + 2013 x Gatinho Medalist
2012 Reserves All-Worlds Team
2013 Vice Captain Reserves All-Worlds Team

Yeah not a bad achievement list ;)