WXV: Sao Paulo Pumas

Started by CrowsFan, November 14, 2011, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FisherSaints

Yeah as a delisted free agent I think

CrowsFan

Yeah they did maca, as FS Said as a free agent. I reckon he should do well there :)

Maca24

I think he will as well! I'd make a play to get him to Mexico but I don't think it would be worth it ;)

CrowsFan

Quote from: Maca24 on December 23, 2012, 03:20:40 PM
I think he will as well! I'd make a play to get him to Mexico but I don't think it would be worth it ;)
Going from last years averages he is my 9th best scoring defender, but I really think he will improve a lot this year at a new club so not wanting to trade him :)

ossie85

CrowsFan

DazBurg

is it just my browser or does only 3 pictures come up?

ossie85

CrowsFan

Quote from: DazBurg on December 24, 2012, 08:35:34 PM
is it just my browser or does only 3 pictures come up?
Think it might just be your browser daz (or a slow internet connection), all 41 pictures come up for me. Do all the names come up?

CrowsFan

Simon Showing the White Stuff

When the AFL was disbanded and the WXV announced Simon White was worried that he wouldn't get picked up by a club. After all at the time he was a 23 year old defender who had only managed to play 12 games for the Blues in the AFL, not one of the best prospects going around. It was a relief then when White heard his name called out by the Pumas with their 34th pick of the draft (610th overall). Many believed that White had just been picked up to add some depth to the team and wouldn't play many games at all for the Pumas.

There was little surprise when these pundits turned out to be correct. White struggled with injury during the early stages of the season and only managed to break in to the Pumas reserve team, the Oncillas, during the back end of the season, playing the final reserve game of the home and away season then playing the first 2 finals for the Oncillas. After just 3 games for the Oncillas White was called up to the big time, making his debut in the preliminary final for the Pumas against the Suns. Sadly they lost this game so White could not complete the fairy tale and line up in the grand final!

After getting that taste of senior football it has appeared that White wants more of it. He has hit preseason training with intensity and is one of the hardest training of the group so far. Gavin Brown, one of the many coaches at the Pumas had this to say about White earlier this week, "He's flying! "For mine, he's the one who's really stood out. He looks really strong, he's quick, his skills are good, and he's doing nearly every session. He's a good size, a real competitor. If he stays injury-free, he'll be a terrific acquisition to the side." These statements have put the other defenders on notice that White is willing to fight for a spot in the starting XV and if they don't work as hard they will be replaced. Could 2013 be the season we see the best of Simon White?

CrowsFan

With the completion of the rookie draft the Pumas squad list has been updated. Check the first two posts to see the team in full, plus what changes have occurred during the post season break :)

CrowsFan

Terrible news today after it was confirmed new recruit Matt Buntine will be out for around 2 months after puncturing his lung during a practice match yesterday. The Pumas wish him all the best in his recovery and hope to see him back on the park soon...

ossie85

Buntine would have been struggling for your best XV I think, but never good when a player goes down...

CrowsFan

Yeah not quite there yet, but as a top draft pick it's sad to see his development stunted by injuries...

CrowsFan

A Solid Start Sees the Pumas Purring

Two games in to the 2013 season and it is clear to everyone the Pumas are looking to atone for a terrible finals performance last year. After leading for the entire year it was a shock to all when the Pumas did not even make the grand final, but for the players it was heartbreak! The players were distraught with what was their worst performance of an almost perfect season and so have been putting in the extra yards at training over the summer, the players deciding that 2013 would be the season of redemption!

And so round 1 came around and it was plain to see the determination in the eyes of every Puma player who ran out on to the ground that night. Delivering what can only be described as their best match so far they made modest work of the PNL Reindeers defeating them 173 to 137. New recruits to the club Andrew Walker and Stephen Hill mesmerised the crowd showing why the Pumas worked hard to bring to the club, whilst typical inspired performances from captain Ablett, big Will Minson and defensive duo Waters and Hartlett meant that the Pumas opened the season in style!

One week later and the Pumas were back at it, playing another home game in São Paulo, this time hosting the Beijing Bears. Not quite as ferocious at the ball compared to the opening week, the game was a little more subdued, but the Pumas again walked away to 45 point win 142 to 97 without even leaving 3rd gear. Minson again was admirable, and the midfield solid, but the forward line was disappointing, but still managed to kick a winning score against a below par Bears brigade.

So two rounds in and Pumas are back in familiar territory, sitting atop the table with a mighty percentage of 134! A position they're not going to give up without a fight. Some things change, but some things stay the same, and in this case the Pumas sitting top and undefeated is all to familiar to all involved. The Pumas are back doing what they do best... winning!