WXV: The Pacific Islanders

Started by c4v3m4n, November 14, 2011, 01:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

With a game and percentage out of the 8, four weeks to go, do the Islanders consider themselves a chance for the finals this year?

ossie85

Would love a comment about the Chicken wing c4!

With the Islanders at 7-7, I think Judd being suspended for the rest of the season is a massive body blow.

CrowsFan

Yes would love to hear what the Islanders thought of it! Also with Petrie injured I think they may lose their shot of making the finals...

c4v3m4n

WATCH THIS SPACE!

Starting tomorrow, we take you exclusively inside the Pacific Islanders and look at all aspects of their season and their future. This exclusive five-part textual documentary is brought to you by the journalists at Fiji's number one news site, the Fiji Sun.

Monday: Part One of a full in-depth examination into the entire Pacific Islanders season, complete with statistical analysis.

Tuesday: Part Two of the examination.

Wednesday: An exclusive interview and Q&A session with Head Coach c4v3m4n about his first season as coach and his take on the future of the WXV.

Thursday: A crystal-ball-esque look into the future for the Islanders. Where they see themselves in 5 years and the steps they're taking to win the coveted WXV Premiership.

Friday: It's the players time for their input on their first season at the Islanders. Youngsters Dion Prestia and Jamie Elliott talk to us about life in the Pacific, their training regimes, and their love for the game.

Then next Wednesday is the big one. We bring you all the action LIVE from the Pacific Islanders Award Ceremony.

ossie85

Very much looking forward to it c4! I have all the stats recorded if you'd like some help

c4v3m4n

Quote from: ossie85 on August 05, 2012, 01:42:55 PM

Very much looking forward to it c4! I have all the stats recorded if you'd like some help

Thanks for the offer ossie, but I'm going far more in depth. c4 style. Ridiculously over the top. ;)

It's going to be fun writing this all up.

c4v3m4n

BREAKING NEWS!

The Pacific Islanders and the Berlin Brewers will play an exhibition match at the Jaber Al-Ahmad International Stadium in Kuwait on the weekend of the 17th of August.

The Islanders today confirmed the game would go ahead between the two teams marking the first WXV match to be held in the Middle East, after an agreement was reached with the Kuwait government.

Pacific Islanders CEO Mark O'Connor said the game would continue to promote the WXV on the international stage and provide growth within the region.

Quote from: Mark O'Connor
"The Middle East is one of the fastest-growing regions in the world in terms of economic prosperity, coupled with a booming population, it was a simple choice on where to promote the WXV next. There is already significant interest within the Middle Eastern community and we hope that this match then provides a platform for further opportunities in the future."

While CEO Mark O'Connor was pleased with the socio-economical benefits the match would bring to the Middle Eastern region, Pacific Islanders Head Coach c4v3m4n was more focused on the match itself.

Quote from: c4v3m4n
"End of the day, while we are here to promote the game and have some fun, there is still a game to be won. The boys have finished the season admirably and deserve a week off, but after that it's game on."

Like c4v3m4n, Berlin Brewers Senior Coach Purple 77 also had his sights on victory. In a brief statement, he was quoted as saying...

Quote from: Purple 77
"I don't mind if the Islanders and c4v3m4n can talk the talk, because I'm certain they can't 'walk the 'walk".

It has also been confirmed that the match between the Islanders and the Brewers will have modified rules (reminiscent of the old AFL competition), subject to player numbers.

• Instead of 15 players-a-side, the match will have 22 players-a-side.
  • The team structures will be 6 DEF, 5 MID, 6 FWD, 1 RUC and 4 own choice.
  • There will be a sub rule.
  • Being a neutral venue match, there will be no home ground advantage rule.

Asked for the reason behind the modified rules, head coach c4v3m4n was quoted as saying:

Quote from: c4v3m4n
"If we've got 22 fit players, then why not bring back the AFL rules just for one game. It is an exhibition match after all. However, should we be unable to field 22 players, then it will revert back to normal WXV rules."

The Pacific Islanders will head to Kuwait early next week to begin training.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 05, 2012, 12:47:14 PM
WATCH THIS SPACE!

Starting tomorrow, we take you exclusively inside the Pacific Islanders and look at all aspects of their season and their future. This exclusive five-part textual documentary is brought to you by the journalists at Fiji's number one news site, the Fiji Sun.

Monday: Part One of a full in-depth examination into the entire Pacific Islanders season, complete with statistical analysis.

Tuesday: Part Two of the examination.

Wednesday: An exclusive interview and Q&A session with Head Coach c4v3m4n about his first season as coach and his take on the future of the WXV.

Thursday: A crystal-ball-esque look into the future for the Islanders. Where they see themselves in 5 years and the steps they're taking to win the coveted WXV Premiership.

Friday: It's the players time for their input on their first season at the Islanders. Youngsters Dion Prestia and Jamie Elliott talk to us about life in the Pacific, their training regimes, and their love for the game.

Then next Wednesday is the big one. We bring you all the action LIVE from the Pacific Islanders Award Ceremony.

The two-part examination into the Islanders season will be merged into the Islanders Award Ceremony. There's a lot more work that needs to be done. ;)

Look out for the interview with head coach c4v3m4n TOMORROW night! :D

c4v3m4n

Up Late with Stephen Bradshaw

Interview Transcipt

SB: Hello and welcome to tonight's exclusive interview with the Head Coach from the Pacific Islanders, c4v3m4n. I'm Stephen Bradshaw. Let's get straight to it and introduce the forementioned coach, c4v3m4n. Thank you very much for coming.

C4: Absolute pleasure to be here tonight Stephen, looking forward to it.

SB: Tell us a little about yourself c4v3m4n. How did you become Head Coach of the Pacific Islanders?

C4: Jeez, where to start. I've coached various football teams throughout my career, most of which have been quite successful in their own competitions. But in 2009, I caught my lucky break and I was given the opportunity to be an assistant coach at the now defunct Western Bulldogs. After the collapse of the AFL and the formation of new WXV franchises, very few coaches weren't excited about being a part of this new revolution. Unfortunately I missed out on the initial opportunity to become a head coach of one of the new franchises, but I kept strong, because let's face it anything can happen. Amazingly, a few weeks into the World 15s draft, an opportunity arise at the Pacific Islanders and I just had to take that chance. Thankfully, I was awarded the job and well, here we are.

SB: Let's talk about that draft for a moment if I may. The previous coach Carltonrok took the Islanders first 10 picks in the draft before getting sacked. What are your thoughts about his choices? Would you have done anything differently?

C4: Who wouldn't have done things differently if they were given the chance? Even I can categorically say that I made a few drafting mistakes, but live and let live. As for Carltonrok's choices...there are a few I would agree with like Judd, Petrie, Swallow and Walker, but picking Josh Gibson at pick 2 was a little strange and picking a ruckman so late wasn't a great move, though Jolly has more than serviceable.

SB: In your thoughts, had you of been the coach from day one would your team been more or less successful?

C4: It's too hard to look back on the draft and speculate who I MAY have picked. It's just too difficult.

SB: Would Judd have been your number one choice?

C4: He's an amazing player, if not the best modern day player off all-time, but would I have picked him as our first pick had I have been coaching from day one? Sorry Judd, but no. I would have secured a ruckman first due to the strict talent pool. Who it would have been, I honestly don't know.

SB: Moving on now into the season, what were your thoughts after the pre-season WXV Challenge Cup where you had lost 3 out of 3 games?

C4: It was tough, there's no denying that. The media had already labelled the Islanders as favourites to win the wooden spoon due to this abysmal start, but I still maintained the belief that we were going to surprise a lot of teams. The players, assistant coaches, the fans, they all shared that belief and look at what we have achieved.

SB: Obviously you are quite pleased about the Islanders' inaugural season. After Round 7, the Islanders were sitting in 4th and 10 weeks later come the end of the season you've finished 12th. Are you disappointed that you didn't make the finals?

C4: To see the Islanders sitting in 4th place at the end of Round 7 was surreal. 5 wins from 7 games. At that point, I couldn't have been any happier with the performances that our players dished up. From wooden spoon favourites to flag contenders in the space of 2 months. We proved people wrong, something we set out to do and we will continue to do so next year. As for missing out on finals though, I think we can all see that we are more than proud of the season we have produced. So no, I am not disappointed at all, not one bit.

SB: During these early weeks, your health took a turn for the worse after a routine early morning jog. You collapsed on the Islanders training track, after which an ambulance was called, you were taken to the hospital and diagnosed with pneumonia. How did you cope through this time?

C4: I hadn't been feeling well all week. But routine is routine and I got up, got dressed and went for morning jog around the Islanders training ground as I have ever since I moved here. I don't remember much of the collapse, nor getting to the hospital. But once I awoke, my first thought and my family can attest to this, was that I needed to return to the club for work. The doctors then told me that I had pneumonia and I needed to rest. The more I rested, the quicker I could return to work. But all I could think about was the Islanders. Thankfully I had such an amazing group of assistant coaches that took the reigns during the week and took time to visit me so we could work out the team sheets. It was very difficult not being out there and amongst everybody, being involved and most of all, not being there when we won. But time passed and I eventually got better and boy was I glad to be back!

SB: Let's shift the focus slightly and take a look at your playing list. Who do feel has been your standout player, your most suprising and the most disappointing this season?

C4: Judd would have definitely been the standout had played every single game, but Drew Petrie has been amazing up forward. 52 goals, 14 behinds and a SC average of close to 100. He's come a long way in football, but what he has produced this year has been phenomenal. As for most surprising...it's a tough call, but I'm going to have to go with our pocket rocket, Jamie Elliott. Our 28th overall pick and pick number 498 in the draft. What a find he was. Not as good a find as Beijing Bears' Clancee Pearce, but amazing nonetheless. Every week he's getting better, he's going to be a superstar someday. Lastly, most disappointing. Would it shock you if I were to say that I find none of my players disappointing...

SB: No not at all. Everyone has been wanting to know your thoughts on this matter, so here it goes. The Chris Judd "chicken-wing" tackle. What were your thoughts on the tribunals findings?

C4: It's a tough and contentious decision, but I actually feel that the WXV Tribunal got it right. In 2010, Steven Baker got 9 weeks for "making unnecessary contact with an injured player". While Judd maintains that he didn't know what he was doing, the fact of the matter is that he was "making unnecessary contact with an injured player" and there was no escaping punishment.

SB: Looking to the future of the Islanders now. What areas of improvement do you need to make in order to make finals in 2013?

C4: Less injuries and suspensions would be nice. Haha. But in all seriousness, our main focus of the pre-season is finding more goalkickers and working on our forward pressure. More goals, more wins. It's that simple. We've got some amazing young talent coming through in Dion Prestia, David Swallow, Tom Simpkin, Tom Mitchell, Luke Brown and Jamie Elliott and we'll also look to add some more young talent in order to be a power team in the coming years.

SB: There are reported talks amongst your players that many of them are worried about being traded, including your top players. Can you offer any insurance to any of your players?

C4: A club is always striving to improve and be the best and to do so you need the best players. It's a natural process that teams go through when trading players in order to improve their list and we hope the players understand when we say that while we respect our players, our best interests are those of the club. I know that isn't an insurance, in fact its probably the opposite, but a club has got to do what its got to do to survive and grow.

SB: Are you looking at trading quite hard in this upcoming trade window are will you maintain the list you have?

C4: We have an idea of the direction we'd like to go with come trade week, but its not something I'd like to discuss. We've been in contact with various coaches in regards to the availability of certain players and we hope that it is a very successful trading period for all teams.

SB: One final question for you c4v3m4n, where do you see the Pacific Islanders in 5 years time?

C4: On top of the World 15s ladder with our hands firmly around the premiership cup. That's our aim.

SB: c4v3m4n, thank you so much for joining us tonight and thanks for this fantastic insight into your time this year at the Pacific Islanders.

C4: Cheers. Oh and remember, GO ISLANDERS!

Ringo

Nice script C4 - Well done and good read.  Hopefully the London Royals can assistyou in trade week in reaching your goals.

roo boys!

Great read c4, the effort you put into the Islanders is truly admirable - keep it up!

ossie85

love it c4, terrific read, really!

Hawka

Awesome read C4
Id like to put that detail into my teams but stupid year 12 haha maybe next year

BB67th

Great stuff C4, such an awesome read! You put in such great dedication to your team and you update your thread so often. I love it!

c4v3m4n

Reading all these praises makes it all worth it. :)

And don't worry there'll be more of these in the future. ;)

But I seriously encourage everyone to give it a go themselves. It doesn't have to be anything near what I'm doing, but a small news update here and there provides more interest and separates our competitions from being just about fantasy football scores.