WXV: The Pacific Islanders

Started by c4v3m4n, November 14, 2011, 01:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Official Pacific Islander Stats:

Player, AFL Matches, WXV Matches, Reserve Matches, Average AFL, Average WXV, Average Reserves

Player   AFL12   WXV12   RXV12   AVEAFL   AVEWXVU   AVERES
David Swallow   7   7   0   85.14   85.14   NA
Dion Prestia   7   7   0   83.43   83.43   NA
Drew Petrie   7   7   0   82.14   82.14   NA
Daniel Kerr   7   7   0   81.43   81.43   NA
Sam Reid   7   6   1   51.14   56.67   18.00
Quentin Lynch   7   6   1   59.00   56.17   76.00
Chris Judd   6   6   0   116.67   116.67   NA
Simon Black   6   6   0   96.50   96.50   NA
Tim Mohr   6   5   1   70.67   70.00   74.00
Tom Simpkin   6   5   1   60.17   60.20   60.00
Darren Jolly   5   5   0   87.80   87.80   NA
Nick Smith   5   5   0   70.40   70.40   NA
Josh Gibson   5   4   1   83.00   80.00   95.00
Matthew Jaensch   4   4   0   72.00   72.00   NA
Matt Campbell   4   4   0   48.75   48.75   NA
Todd Banfield   7   3   4   53.86   60.67   48.75
Nick Suban   4   3   1   51.25   43.33   75.00
Cameron Wood   3   3   0   77.33   77.33   NA
Lewis Roberts-Thomson   4   2   2   49.25   49.50   49.00
Andrew Walker   3   2   1   86.33   87.50   84.00
John Anthony   3   2   1   40.67   56.50   9.00
David Ellard   2   2   0   66.00   66.00   NA
Jacob Townsend   6   1   5   42.33   44.00   42.00
Jack Newnes   3   1   2   42.67   54.00   37.00
Lee Spurr   2   1   1   60.00   50.00   70.00
Curtly Hampton   6   0   6   43.00   NA   43.00
Luke Delaney   5   0   5   44.20   NA   44.20
Anthony Miles   1   0   1   74.00   NA   74.00
Levi Greenwood   1   0   1   12.00   NA   12.00
Harry Cunningham   1   0   1   5.00   NA   5.00
Steve Clifton   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Jason Tutt   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Jarrod Witts   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Luke Brown   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Matthew Watson   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Tom Nicholls   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Jamie Elliott   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Andrew Strijk   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Tom Schneider   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Jordan Schroder   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Kelvin Lawrence   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Tom Mitchell   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Mitchell Grigg   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Nathan Blee   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA
Sam Gibson   0   0   0   NA   NA   NA

c4v3m4n

Why thank you ossie for those stats. :)

I did have my own copy I was going to publish, but thanks for saving me the effort! :P

c4v3m4n

Islanders and Cobras to play for UNICEF Cup

By Jesse Kabaletta

The Pacific Islanders in conjunction with the Cape Town Cobras today announced that this week's match at Oakley Arena in Tonga would take on special significance as the two teams would play for the first annual UNICEF Cup to help raise money for children in need.

UNICEF works in over 150 countries and territories to promote and protect the rights of children. UNICEF works in five priority areas for children (Survival, Education, HIV/AIDS, Protection & Emergencies), as well as rapidly responding to emergencies and conflicts.

For more information about UNICEF's work, head to unicef.org.au.

The Islanders have pledged to donate 50% of all profits generated from this week's match and the players have donated their time during the week to visit sick children in hospitals. Along with this, an auction will take place after the match where the players guernseys and the match ball will be auctioned off to raise further money for UNICEF.

Islanders head coach, c4v3m4n said that the players, coaches and staff were glad to help such a worthwhile cause. "UNICEF's work worldwide is absolutely amazing and we're indebted to them for all they've done for children everywhere. This is our way of helping them further their stellar humanitarian work".

The Cape Town Cobras have themselves pledged to donate $25,000 for every goal that is kicked during the match and will also hold their own auction post-game to raise money.

Cape Town Cobras midfielder Jobe Watson was quoted during the week as saying, "This is a fantastic initiative that the Cobras and the Islanders have undertaken. It's definitely going to be a special day and everyone here at the Cobras are excited to be part of it."

The match is already a complete sell-out with the last of the 42,000 tickets being snapped up earlier this week. Fans are also encouraged to donate a gold coin upon entry or head to unicef.org.au to make a donation.

c4v3m4n

PACIFIC ISLANDERS ROUND 8 LIVE POST-MATCH CONFERENCE

Pacific Islanders Head Coach c4v3m4n and their CEO, Mark O'Connor enter the room.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please be seated", says CEO Mark O'Connor.

"Before our Head Coach c4v3m4n address the media for his post-game conference, I would like to firstly take this opportunity to thank each and every person that turned out to today's fixture between the Pacific Islanders and the Cape Town Cobras. Today's game had a special meaning as we were raising money for children all-around the globe."

"Today's UNICEF Cup match was an absolutely amazing success and I would like to take this opportunity to run through some figures."

"Today's official attendance was 39,471. We are astounded with the turn-out, not only is that the highest home crowd for any Islanders match so far, but it goes to show that we have an enormous supporter base and hopefully more will turn out in the future once our flagship stadium is completed."

"As the goal count for today's game was 45, the Cape Town Cobras have generously donated $1,125,000 to today's cause. That is a amazing figure and we can't thank the Cobras enough for their generous support."

"Before the match the Pacific Islanders said they would donate 50% of all profits generated from todays game, which includes ticket sales, food and beverage sales, match-day sponsorship etc. After calculation, the Islanders will be making a donation of $1,807,600."

"Amazingly, we have had overwhelming support from local communities, general public and business wishing to make donations towards UNICEF. The total money raised from these outside donations was a whopping $2,412,733.65 taking the total amount raised to $5,345,333.65. We cannot thank you all enough for getting behind this cause".

"I now invite Mr. Anthony Lake, Executive Director and Head of UNICEF to the stage to receive this cheque made out to UNICEF for the sum of $5,345,333.65 and invite him to say a few words."

"Firstly, a big thanks to the Pacific Islanders, the Cape Town Cobras, businesses and members of the general public for the support. Your support means a great deal for UNICEF and we are ecstatic with the amount you have managed to raise."

"This money will be going directly to the crisis in East Africa, were currently over 13.3 million children are at serious risk. To provide some understanding of the scale of the donation, this cheque could buy close to 2.5 million plastic 10 litre water containers, 66,800 oral rehydration sachets, 72,200 boxes of nutrition bars or amazingly, protect 17.2 million children from Measles. This just goes to show you how important donations of this scale is and we are forever thankful.

"Thank you."

"Now, I will pass the floor to our head coach, c4v3m4n to discuss today's match and answer any questions you might have".

"Thank you Mark. I know this sounds repetitive, but thank you to everyone, the Cobras, the public, local business and the community for your generous and astounding support for UNICEF and their cause."

"Wow, what a match. I can't praise the playing group enough today, they came and grabbed the game by the scruf of the neck and gave it a real crack. While we didn't walk away with the four points, they are so many positives to take away from today's game."

"It was really great to see our forward line stepping up this week, led by a magnificent performance from Drew Petrie. His work inside 50 today was some of the best I've seen in his career. It was also great to see Quinten Lynch and Sam Reid bounce back after some poor form recently."

"David Ellard looks to have solidified his position for the time being while David Swallow is injured with a stellar performance on-ball and through the back-line. Dion Prestia, wow, he has been the surprise packet of the year so far. 3 matches over 100, it's been amazing to watch."

"Our work inside our defensive 50 was very ordinary and well need a lot of work during the coming weeks if we ar to continue to push for finals. Lewis Roberts-Thomson performed amazingly well in the Reserves match and will be definitely looked upon for selection for the next match".

"As for the Cape Town Cobras, well firstly congratulations are in order. They played extremely well and we always knew it was going to be a tough ask, and they certainly lived up to their reputation. I'm going on record to say they have the strongest midfield in the competition and could cause headaches for further teams."

"Today's game was a fantastic indication of where we are at within the competition. The Cobras are a strong unit and to come close to knocking them off, I think our aspirations to play finals couldn't be any higher."

"Next week's match against the Buenos Aires Armadillos is a must-win game if we wish to continue our push for finals and we'll be making sure we come out fighting hard."

"At this present time, we will be looking to make very minimal changes to the line-up for the upcoming game, but an official call will be made in the coming days."

"I will now open the floor to any and all questions."

Question 1. Will you be looking to hold any other Cup matches in the future due to today's success?

"It's a distinct possibility. At the moment we aren't pursing any other Cup matches, but are certainly open to all invitations."

Question 2. With the loss of David Swallow and Todd Banfield recently, are you at all worried about your depth?

Both were big losses and it was great to have Josh Gibson, Lewis Roberts-Thomson and Levi Greenwood back this week. Now, hopefully, Jacob Townsend and Curtly Hampton should be back next week which bolsters our playing stock and provides me with some selection dilemmas. Haha. So to answer your question about depth, yes we have been strained at times, but we've managed."

Question 3. Any updates on the naming of your reserves team?

"I'll take that if you don't mind c4v3m4n."

"The management staff have been discussing this and we'll be holding a press conference later in the week to answer this in full."

Question 4. Rumors have been circulating about Bryce Gibbs being unhappy at the Magpies and there are rumors that the Islanders have been talking to the Magpies about the possibility of a trade, care to comment?

"No such discussions have taken place. Not sure where you got that rumor from as it's clearly false."

"I think the media has been too harsh on Bryce Gibbs of late. It's amazing how quick you all are to attack someone after their first ever career form slump. He'll be back on top before you know it, just give the poor guy a chance."

Question 5. What is your take on the current state of the Paris-Nice-Lyon Reindeers?

"Being 0-8 has gotta take it's toll. With the evenness of the competition, it's been really surprising they are yet to win a game. I thought they played admirably against the Warriors, they really took it too them. They've got a talented list and I'm sure their first win is just around the corner, let's just hope it's not against us, haha."

That's enough questions for today. Thank you all for questions and your support and of course, as always, GO ISLANDERS! ;D

c4v3m4n

WXV Round 8: Pacific Islanders vs. Cape Town Cobras

The UNICEF Cup Match

Oakley Arena, Nuku'alofa, Tonga

Attendance: 39,471

Team Sheets and Scores

Position               Pacific Islanders          Scores                                        Cape Town Cobras                 Scores
DEF Tim Mohr63 Greg Broughton109
DEF Matthew Jaensch68Jack Grimes91
DEFNick Smith (HGA)94 Karmichael Hunt66
DEFJosh Gibson87 Alex Johnson47
MID Chris Judd (C)226 Joel Selwood140
MID Simon Black (VC)109 Josh P. Kennedy (C)264
MIDDaniel Kerr78 Jobe Watson (VC)111
MID Dion Prestia107 Trent Cotchin130
FWD Drew Petrie122 Ryan O'Keefe136
FWDAndrew Walker72Tom Hawkins67
FWDQuinten Lynch93Lindsay Thomas79
FWDSam Reid (SYD)81Colin Sylvia51
RUCDarren Jolly88Zac Smith86
INTDavid Ellard92 Craig Bird16
INTLee Spurr55 Sam Iles104
---
EMG 1 Tom Simpkin40James Gwilt-
EMG 2Jacob Townsend- Ed Curnow67
EMG 3 Lewis Roberts-Thomson95 Jeremy Cameron30

Game Notes

Q1: Islanders 5.1.31 vs. Cobras 5.1.31
Q2: Islanders 13.5.83 vs. Cobras 15.6.96
Q3: Islanders 19.6.120 vs. Cobras 20.9.129

SCORE: Islanders 22.12.144 def. by Cobras 23.12.150

Torpedo10

Why Cotchin get a Star?

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Torpedo10 on May 21, 2012, 07:14:17 PM
Why Cotchin get a Star?

He was voted by media commentators as the best and fairest player for the match. 29 possessions, 6 tackles, 3 goals (including the winner), he was a very worthy winner.

meow meow

= X factor (letter X). This player wasn't the best player on the ground but he played a vital role in winning the game.

Good to see Dion get you over the line.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: meow meow on May 21, 2012, 07:47:10 PM
= X factor (letter X). This player wasn't the best player on the ground but he played a vital role in winning the game.

You always find ways to ruin peoples fun dont you meow? lol jk :P

meow meow

Quote from: c4v3m4n on May 21, 2012, 07:51:47 PM

Haha there is a reason why I have over 300 boo's. Look, I'm still hurt over losing to you okay? It keeps me awake all night.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: meow meow on May 21, 2012, 07:54:55 PM
Quote from: c4v3m4n on May 21, 2012, 07:51:47 PM

Haha there is a reason why I have over 300 boo's. Look, I'm still hurt over losing to you okay? It keeps me awake all night.

Well if you can somehow make finals, we might meet again then, where you can have a chance to act your revenge.

Or wait until next year. Your choice.

c4v3m4n

PACIFIC ISLANDERS ROUND 9 POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

Head coach c4v3m4n and captain Chris Judd enter the room to face the media.

"Thank you ladies and gentlemen for coming to today's post-game conference."

"Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to address our fans, supporters and sponsors. On behalf of the Pacific Islanders Football Club, we apologize for the effort that we displayed on the weekend against the Armadillos. We are not going to be making any excuses and I as coach, accept full responsibility for last weekend's match."

"While we only lost by 26 points, we all felt that it was our worst performance of the season. Of course, congratulations to the Armadillos on winning the game, they certainly deserved the 4 points and we wish them the best for the rest of the season."

"We certainly looked dangerous early on and I'm very impressed by our younger players in Prestia and Ellard that keep stepping up each week. However, as you would have seen, our structure around the football in the second quarter along with the Armadillos forward pressure, was what ultimately destroyed us. Their ability to counterattack was fantastic; we obviously didn't handle the pressure well enough."

"Next week is going to be the Islanders ultimate test. The Toronto Wolves have an impressive list and unfortunately for us, are in great form at the moment. I will be having a chat with some of our senior players this week about their performance and you can expect that several changes will be made to the lineup."

"I'll now open the floor to any and all questions."

Question 1: This question is for Chris Judd. How have you seen your own performances of recent?

"I will admit that I haven't been playing my best football this year. I could use excuses like the long-distance travelling, the general workload, my age, my new family etc. but that's not who I am. My performances on the field have not been up to standard and I accept that but I will promise you that I will be working harder than ever in order to improve. The Islanders have got the best sports science and fitness staff in the competition, I have faith that they'll help me get my performances back on track."

Question 2: Again, this is for Chris Judd. Media commentators have suggested that due to these poor performances that you should step down as captain of the Islanders. Care to comment?

"I'll answer this one."

"The board, the coaching staff, the players and I believe and have always believed that Chris Judd is the right captain for the Islanders. While he has accepted that he has had a slip in performance of late, I think it's incredibly harsh and plain ridiculous to be calling for his resignation of captaincy after a few bad games. The Reindeers are 0-9, and you don't hear anyone asking for their coach to resign? Utter rubbish."

Question 3: Any news on Simon Black? Will he play this week?

"He's currently undergoing scans on his knee which was initially sustained playing with his eight-month-old son Lachie last week, and aggravated it against the Armadillos. So at the moment, I can't give you any more information as I simply don't know. But if the scans are fine and he trains well, then there's no reason why we'd leave him out for the Wolves."

Question 4: The London Royals have recently been described as 'flying under the radar', a strategy they even say is why they are premiership contenders. To regain some form, should the Islanders be looking to fly alongside the Royals, so to speak?

"No, the Islanders have no intention of 'flying under the radar'. One of the strong points of this club which has been applauded by most journalists as I'm sure you are aware, is the openness here at the Islanders. We pride ourselves on our open training sessions, on these press conferences and Q and A sessions; otherwise the fans and the public feel like they are cut off from the club and the players. That's definitely not something we wanted for our fans and the public. I'd rather lose matches and be open, then win matches and push fans and the public away."

Last Question: You have already expressed that you are looking to make changes to the line-up for the Wolves this week. Any thoughts on who will be coming in and who will be dropped?

"The recent performances of Tom Simpkin, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Levi Greenwood and Luke Delaney in our reserves side have been noted. They are all pushing for selection this week. As for who comes out, well Simon Black is a possibility, and there are few others that have been put on notice. But all selection changes will be addressed in the coming days."

"Thank you for coming today and as always, GO ISLANDERS!"

ossie85

PowerBug

Thanks for the kind words c4. :D

c4v3m4n

PACIFIC ISLANDERS ROUND 9 POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

Head coach c4v3m4n enters the room and sits down to face the media.

"Sorry to keep everyone waiting, lets get this show on the road", said c4v3m4n.

"This weekend's performance against the Wolves simply wasn't good enough. While we were competitive to begin with, winning the centre clearances and stoppages, we just dropped off after half time and the Wolves, they pounced and that was the end really."

"Of course the big talking point is Jack kicking 8 goals; we'd come here with game plans on how to shut him down, but it just goes to show you that things don't always go according to plan. We decided Tom Simpkin was going to our best option on Jack, but after the first half, we decided to shift things around and give Tim Mohr the chance and he did well for that third quarter, but ultimately, it was Jack's day.

"A big commendation to Cameron Wood and Jamie Elliott today. After Dion Prestia and Darren Jolly didn't get through pre-game fitness tests, it was our only choice to 'scratch' them and give Wood an Elliott a chance and boy did they take it. Cameron Wood has definitely the best player on the ground for the Islanders, and I'm hoping he can produce more efforts like that in the future. As for Elliott, he's definitely a work-in-progress, but after what I saw last night, he's making amazing progress and will be a star for the club, just you wait."

"Of course, if you took Wood and Elliott out, then realistically, there was only one other solid performer in Ellard. That's just plain unaccepatable in my eyes. I know these boys have the talent, we've all seen it in previous games but at the moment, something obviously not clicking and we'll work on that this week to find out what it is, but I can assure you, that when it does, it's game on."

"Questions?"

Question 1. Chris Judd said last week that he looking to improve, how did you see his performance this week?

*mumbles* "I knew this question was coming".

"I said this last week as well, it's amazing how quick the media lashes out at a player whose going through his first rough patch in 10 years. I can tell you all now, that he is working as hard as he as ever worked in his entire AFL career to break out of the current funk he's in."

"Next question."

Question 2. Some media commentators have suggested that your approach to the Wolves this week as very poor to the extent they felt the game was already over when you walked out onto the field, care to comment?

"Never in my history of coaching have I ever walked out onto a field and conceded defeat even before the first bounce. I don't think any coach has. Well, maybe Dean Bailey did when he was coach of Melbourne few years back."

"Whether we are playing the bottom team or the team that is currently undefeated, the Islanders will always believe we can win each and every game we play. Let me ask you all a question too, come Round 17, who do you think is going to be more scared, the Pumas when they are 16-0, or the Islanders? Cause I can tell you now, we sure as hell won't be." >:D

Question 3. After losing 3 weeks in a row and facing the rejuvenated Brewers, how important is the Round 11 match?

"Every game is as important as the last."

"Buddy was a clear-standout over the weekend for the Brewers and we'll be analyzing the footage from that game to work out ways to combat him. I wouldn't be adversed to placing two defenders on him, if that stops him."

"But in all seriousness, it's another must-win game, especially for our home fans. They are the most loyal and devoted fans in the competition and they deserve to see the Islanders win at home."

Question 4. Have the Islanders re-signed anyone to the team for future seasons yet?

"We have been holding discussions with all players throughout the past few weeks about their contracts and their playing future here at the Islanders. If any decisions are made by players, they will be announced at the appropriate time."

Question 5. Rumors are circulating around the WXV, that the Islanders are one of the 4 clubs looking at poaching Travis Cloke for the 2013 season, care to comment?

"For the record, the Islanders are not one of the clubs looking at Travis Cloke for the 2013 season."

"He was never on our radar to begin with."

"Thank you all, that concludes todays press conference and as always, GO ISLANDERS!"