WXV: The Pacific Islanders

Started by c4v3m4n, November 14, 2011, 01:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3m4n

Waves of Prosperity

by Brittany O'Doyle

It's amazing what can happen in the space of just one year. This time last year, the AFL surprised us all with the announcement that it was to be disbanded at the end of the season. The shockwaves of the announcement were felt throughout the world and biggest hit were the senior AFL players and their clubs.

However, this was not the end for them. A young entrepreneur by the name of ossie85 radically suggested bringing the AFL game to the world stage and so the World 15s were born. Like the AFL, there would be 18 teams and a full senior list of 46 players. Countries from all of the world bidded for the right to a franchise, and the unlikeliest of regions was awarded a team; the Pacific Islanders.

The team would be based in Fiji, but there would be opportunities for games to be held in Samoa, Tonga and Nauru as well. The four countries banded together to provide an ambitious sporting platform unlike the region has ever seen. 3 entirely new stadiums and a massive redvelopment of another along with a dedicated training facility for the team. The biggest selling point was a brand new state-of-the-art 75,000 seat stadium to be build in Fiji. It would not only host most of the Islanders matches, but in future it will look to host FIFA OFC matches, Rugby World Cup matches and even the World Youth Games.

In October of 2011, the first players were drafted to the Pacific Islanders. Come December they would have a team. Upon arrival to the Pacific, the players and staff were all greeted like rockstars. People came from all corners of the Pacific to welcome in their newest sporting idols. This was the beginning of something magical for the Pacific region.

The first few months were tough due to the Pacific's early on-field losses, however the fans kept coming to watch. With wins on the board and the Pacific a buzz, it was easy to see that there was going to be a tourism and economical boom that will bring prosperity to the region unlike anything ever seen before.

Not long into the season, hotels, motels and caravan parks were booked out for the entire season. Pubs, clubs, restaurants and cafes were enjoying increased patronage. Local shops and businesses were having to expand due to the demand. Even countries like Tuvalu, Vanuatu and New Caladonia were enjoying an increase in tourism.

The end of the season is now here and the economical growth within the Pacific region is staggering. The following table outlines the economic growth as a percentage change of GDP.

Name of Country     2011 GDP2012 GDPGrowth
Nauru~$5,000 per capita     $12,500 per capita     241%
Tonga$4,220 per capita$7,760 per capita54.3%
Samoa$3,451 per capita$5,068 per capita46.8%
Fiji$3,984 per capita$4,876 per capita22.4%
World$1,002 per capita$1,006 per capita4.5%

These statistics sure paint an amazing picture of the staggering economic growth in the Pacific region. Another interesting thing to note, 6 of the fastest growing countries in terms of their GDP growth in the top 10 are Pacific nations, the other being Vanuatu and Kirabati.

But what about the future for the Pacific region? Can the Pacific Islanders sporting team continue to bring futher prosperity to the region? We asked James Walsh, Senior Economonist at the International Monetary Fund (Asia Pacific Department) his thoughts about the future economic growth.

Quote from: James Walsh, Senior Economist"The economic growth in the entire Asia-Pacific region has been mind-blowing. In a time where so many countries are experiencing recession, its simply astounding to see Australian rules football having such a overwhelming effect on the local economy."

"Naturally, the growth within this sector will slow over time but it should remain stable for years to come. Without putting pressure on the Islanders, but their success on the field will also have an impact on future growth as you would normally see with any club. However, world economists including myself will have their eye firmly fixed on the Pacific region for many years."

It's an exciting time for the Pacific region, and it seems like we have the Pacific Islanders Australian rules football team to thank for it.

c4v3m4n

Pacific Islanders Fan Appreciation Weekend

The Islanders have collectively decided against winding the season down and instead have decided to host a special Fan Appreciation Weekend this weekend.

The weekend will feature a several special events perfect for the entire family, including a scratch match where you the fans could be part of!

Date: Saturday 11th August and Sunday 12th August
Time: 10am - 6pm
Location: Pacific Islanders Training Facility, Laucala Bay Road, Suva, Fiji

Fan Appreciation Match

At 2pm on Sunday, the Pacific Islanders will be holding a once-off scratch match featuring Islanders players and we are holding a special competition giving you the chance to part of the teams!

24 winners of this competition will join the two teams and be given a chance to play with the Islanders in this scratch match! Clothing and footwear will be provided for all winners.

To be part of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, fill out an entry form on Saturday or Sunday at our information desk. Winners of the competition will be announced at 12pm.

The two teams that will be playing have been chosen and are as follows:

Petrie's Panthers

DEF: Josh Gibson, Matthew Watson, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, ?
MID: Daniel Kerr, David Swallow, Anthony Miles, ?
FWD: Jamie Elliott, Curtly Hampton, Matt Campbell, ?
RUC: Drew Petrie
INT: Nathan Blee, Nick Suban

Blacky's Bulls

DEF: Lee Spurr, Nick Smith, Tom Simpkin, ?
MID: Simon Black, Sam Gibson, Levi Greenwood, ?
FWD: Andrew Walker, Quinten Lynch, Todd Banfield, ?
RUC: Darren Jolly
INT: Jonathan Simpkin, Jacob Townsend

Training Facility Tours

A special behind-the-scenes look at the brand new multi-milltion dollar training facility. Free tours will be available every 15 mins and take approximately 45 minutes. The first tour will begin at 10:30am and the last tour will take place at 4:45pm.

Photos, Autographs and Presentation

All of the current Pacific Islanders players will be present on the day for photos and autographs. Keep an eye out for them during the day! At the closing stages of the day the players will be presented to the fans.

Live Entertainment

Live entertainment will be available throughout the day. Some of Fiji's best artists will be on stage from 11am each day. The list of performing artists will be available ASAP.

Footy Clinic

On Saturday, the Pacific Islanders players will be taking a special football clinic for all the youngsters! Everyone is sure to learn some new skills while having a sensational time. There are three sessions: 12pm, 2pm and 4pm.

This clinic is very limited to the first 600 children (200 per session) registered which start at 10am and close at 11:30am.

Merchandise and Club Membership

Visit the Islanders club store during the weekend and receive 15% off any purchases! Club membership renewals or sign-ups will also be available through the club store.

Purple 77

All your work c4........ its just so professional...... you would make an AFL club proud if you worked for them doing this stuff!

The Interview was an awesome read, and this Fan Appreciation Weekend is very creative and clever

I think everyone would agree with me that you have been an awesome inclusion in the World 15s competition  8)

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 12, 2012, 10:18:33 AM
All your work c4........ its just so professional...... you would make an AFL club proud if you worked for them doing this stuff!

The Interview was an awesome read, and this Fan Appreciation Weekend is very creative and clever

I think everyone would agree with me that you have been an awesome inclusion in the World 15s competition  8)

Cheers P77. Means a lot. :)

c4v3m4n

Jim Stynes Medal Wrap-up

by Antonio Grotoluni

The inaugural Jim Stynes Medal Count was held on Friday night, with the night being heralded as an amazing success for everyone involved. Players, coaches and their guests from every WXV club were in attendance and all were represented well. The early focus of the night was of course the Red Carpet, where the males strutted their stuff in their suits and the ladies dazzled in the superbly elegant dresses.

Everyone was exquisitely dressed and heads were turning with every passing couple. Simon Black from the Pacific Islanders and his wife, Catherine Black were one couple that received fantastic comments from critics and the public alike. Simon Black was dressed in a tailor made suit made by Pernac Paris and his wife, Catherine wore a stunning dress made by renowned fashion designer Lisa Ho.

The count got underway at 7:30pm, where the entire room went silent as ex-AFL administrator Andrew Demetriou began to read out the votes with the help of Berlin Brewers senior coach, Purple 77 and the Seoul Magpies head coach ossie85.

Brent Stanton and Gary Ablett lead the count early-on but throughout the night, Gary was the focal point due to his overwhelming favouritism.

Pacific Islanders' captain Chris Judd polled very well early on receiving 8 votes in 7 matches. Collectively, the Islanders polled 24 votes from their first 7 matches in the World 15s.

After a couple rounds with no votes, the second half of the season proved to be more successful as the Islanders polled 28 votes in 8 rounds. Drew Petrie, Darren Jolly and Chris Judd all finished strongly with multiple votes.

But in the end, the praise and congratulations went to Sao Paulo Pumas' captain Gary Ablett who finished with 29 votes, 8 clear of second placed Scott Pendlebury.

Chris Judd just edged out Drew Petrie for the best polling player from the Islanders, 13 to 12. Youngsters Dion Prestia, David Swallow and Sam Reid also managed to poll, showing the competition that the future is bright in the Pacific. The following table outlines all of the vote-getters from the Pacific Islanders and how the scored in each round.

NAMER1  R2  R3  R4  R5  R6  R7  R8  R9  R10  R11  R12  R13  R14  R15  R16  R17  TOTAL   PLACE
Chris Judd - 2 3 - - - 3 - - - - 1 2 2 - - -   13  14th
Drew Petrie - - - - 3 - - - - - 3 - - 3 3 - -   12  17th
Darren Jolly - - - - - - - - - - 2 3 - - - - 3   8  35th
Daniel Kerr - - - 2 2 - - - - - - - - - - - 1   5  59th
Simon Black 3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -   3  87th
Sam Reid - - - - - - - - - - - - 3 - - - -   3  87th
Josh Gibson - - 2 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -   2  111th
Dion Prestia - - - - - 2 - - - - - - - - - - -   2  111th
Cameron Wood      - - - - - - - - - 2 - - - - - - -   2  111th
David Swallow - 1 - - 1 - - - - - - - - - - - -   2  111th

The Pacific Islanders medal count will be held LIVE here Wednesday night from 7:00PM.

c4v3m4n

Fans turnout to Appreciation Weekend

by Shaun Webster

The teal and white was out in full force at the Islanders Training Facility this weekend with over 8,000 members and fans turning out for the inaugural Fan Appreciation Weekend.

In a special treat, notable Fijian sportsmen Waisale Serevi, Petero Civoniceva and Lote Tuqiri made special guest appearances to the event to the delight of the fans. Islanders CEO Mark O'Connor took the opportunity to present them each with an Islanders guernsey, each with their respective names and the numbers for which they are famous for.

At the conclusion of each day, senior coach c4v3m4n introduced the full playing list to the crowd, with Serevi, Tuqiri and a young group of Islander supporters wishing the team the best for future.

On what was a fantastic, sunny weekend the crowd enjoyed a range of fun festivities including a football clinic, live entertainment, a player autograph and photo session and an exclusive tour of the Islanders new training facility.

But perhaps the highlight of the weekend was the scratch match the Pacific Islanders players put on. The match even included members of the public who had won a special competition to take part in the match. The two teams, Petrie's Panthers and Blacky's Bulls played a spirited contest, and amazingly the game resulted in a draw, 87 all! (NB: I added up each players SC score from this weekend and I kid you not, 869 points a piece! :o)

The Pacific Islanders would like to thank everyone that came out on the weekend for the Fan Appreciation Weekend. :)

ossie85

Top stuff as usual c4, looking forward to the B&F!

c4v3m4n

Quote from: ossie85 on August 13, 2012, 07:33:45 AM

I'm going in a slightly different direction than others for my B&F; it's going to be very interesting to see who wins but early money is on Judd.

Should be a great night. :)

Purple 77

Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 13, 2012, 09:17:17 AM

I'm going in a slightly different direction than others for my B&F; it's going to be very interesting to see who wins but early money is on Judd.

Looking forward to it!

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 13, 2012, 11:27:00 AM

Looking forward to it!

Well, I've finally cast my votes, counted them and we have a winner!

Who will win the inaugural Pacific Islanders Club Champion Medal? All will be announced in a LIVE presentation this Wednesday night!!!

c4v3m4n

Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 13, 2012, 10:45:38 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on August 13, 2012, 11:27:00 AM

Looking forward to it!

Well, I've finally cast my votes, counted them and we have a winner!

Who will win the inaugural Pacific Islanders Club Champion Medal? All will be announced in a LIVE presentation this Wednesday night!!!

IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, the Pacific Islanders Club Champion Awards night has been postponed until next Wednesday night.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

ossie85

What! My tux is already laid out :(

CrowsFan

Damn! The Pumas had already boarded the plane to attend the presentation since they had the week off. Looks like they'll just e enjoying a pacific holiday instead for a few days...

c4v3m4n

Quote from: ossie85 on August 15, 2012, 03:36:28 PM

What! My tux is already laid out :(

Quote from: CrowsFan on August 15, 2012, 04:12:19 PM
Damn! The Pumas had already boarded the plane to attend the presentation since they had the week off. Looks like they'll just e enjoying a pacific holiday instead for a few days...

I dont remember ever sending you two invitations... ??? lol jk :P

There's still a bit of work that needs to be done and I wasn't gonna have it done by tonight...so had no option but to postpone it.

Trust me, it'll be worth the wait.

Maca24