3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Justin Bieber

Name: Ivan Maric.
Position: Ruckman.
Height: 200cm.
Weight: 102kg.
Predicted Price: $294,600

Maric isn't a Dean Cox like Ruckman who can get alot of stats around the ground. Over several seasons, he usually ends up with around 10 possessions more often than not. I'm serious. In 2010, out of 22 games, he ended up in 10 of those games with 9-11 disposals, just something that interested me. He isn't a man of many disposals, and when he does choose to get rid of the ball, he prefers to handball, which he's pretty much doubled his kicks with handballs 3 of the past 4 seasons (2008 was close enough with a 1:1.8 ratio). All these signs point to a Ruckman who isn't built for the fantasy game. His best SC season was in 2008 where he only averaged 72, which is OK. The potential for Maric lies with his hitout ability and tackling statistics. These aren't worth alot and are harder to come by, but they are able to add quite a bit to his points if he can add them to the tally. He's not exactly a beast in the Ruck (370 hitouts in 2010, 61 ahead of his next best in 2009). His tackling though is handy, racking up 40+ tackles from 2008-2010 before he was dethroned in the Crows lineup. His influence on games means he's more suited to SC than DT as he can play the ball to advantage a bit.

He basically played second fiddle last season as Sam Jacobs broke out at the Crows, pushing Maric into the shadows and forcing a move elsewhere to get games. He ends up at Tigerland, a place where they need a decent Ruckman. Maric will have to contend with Angus Graham for a spot in the lineup. Graham is 1 year younger than Maric but they are similar type of Ruckman. I wouldn't say Maric will start every week, but I believe the Tigers should play both of them with the other resting up forward as another Tall target with JRoo and Vickery.

Fantasy Relevant? I'd be leaning to Who Knows right now. He's been playing AFL for 6 seasons now but hasn't shown alot fantasy wise. Ruckman do take time which means he could be reaching his prime around now. He's priced just over $295k for SC which means he could be a handy second ruck option. He's risky though if Tigers choose to take one ruckman into games with say Vickery to pinch hit. For those interested in him, I'll keep an eye out Pre Season to see how both Him and Graham go as it may decide who plays #1 for the Tigers. But he knows how to Ruck which is my I feel he could be worth more in SC than the DT game. Doubt he'd fit into my side but not to say a solid pre season and certain games couldn't persuade me. He's Risky no doubt though!

Ringo

Seriously considering this structure Prem Ruck (Berger, Mummy or Goldie), West, Maric and Rookie.  With the price of both Maric and West gives you good ruck cover compared with a second Prem/mid price ruck.

PowerBug

Quote from: Ringo on November 12, 2011, 09:35:07 AM
Seriously considering this structure Prem Ruck (Berger, Mummy or Goldie), West, Maric and Rookie.  With the price of both Maric and West gives you good ruck cover compared with a second Prem/mid price ruck.
Yeah, that's an interesting strategy. My thought similar to that, was go both Vardy and West, incase Vardy gets the gig over West. I think it's still cheaper than 2 premo's 2 rookies.

Torpedo10

Justin Bieber

Quote from: PowerBug on November 12, 2011, 11:51:16 AM
Quote from: Ringo on November 12, 2011, 09:35:07 AM
Yeah, that's an interesting strategy. My thought similar to that, was go both Vardy and West, incase Vardy gets the gig over West. I think it's still cheaper than 2 premo's 2 rookies.
My guess is that both will play as they played both Ottens + Vardy/West this season. It's interesting who'll get #1 Ruck as Vardy was ahead of West but West came home strong 8).

Be patient fellas, I'll have a profile on West in a couple of days (somebody requested him) :P.

meow meow

The difference is that West and Vardy will be battling eachother for games and game time. Maric will take the majority of the ruck with Vickery giving him a minor chop out. Maric has more potential to score due to more game time.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: meow meow on November 14, 2011, 06:49:15 PM
The difference is that West and Vardy will be battling eachother for games and game time. Maric will take the majority of the ruck with Vickery giving him a minor chop out. Maric has more potential to score due to more game time.
I'd like to think Maric may have some competition from Graham. I think Vickery will be sticking up forward after this season to provide solid backup to JRoo. Will have to watch pre season to see if he can gain #1 Ruck spot but also see if Tigers will opt for two rucks playing rather than another player pinch hitting.

Cats used two rucks this season (Ottens with Vardy/West) so I believe they will go down a similar route next season unless they choose to have Hawkins pinch hit. Although Hawkins needs stability rather than shifted around the field so hoping that Vardy/West both play. West's performances when he got the chance were nothing worthy of being dropped for as was Vardy when he played. Both are still young so both should back each other up. But this discussion if for another topic ;).

Torress

bloody rucks are going to be tricky next year in regards on who to start
really hope in a prick of a way someone or a few key players get injured opening the door for someone from somewhere to do majority of rucking!!!

Bluesman

Have we forgoten the 'X' man (Tom Derickx)??? Not that i profess to know what the Tigers are up to, I'm pretty sure Derickx was very close to a call up last season before getting injured. The way i look at things is that the Tiges are looking for a replacement for Graham hence the appointment of Maric. But i wouldn't be surprised if they also play Derickx as he seems the versatile type - and who knows... as i wouldn't call Maric a gun that has his spot cemented. So I think it might go Maric (to see how he goes and then try Derickx if Maric isn't a standout (to combine with Vickery up forward wih JRoo)??  :-\