Who are your 2012 premium upgrade targets?

Started by Patrician, November 09, 2011, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrician

Last year, I had Swan, Deledio (yeah, I know), Selwood, and Ablett as my upgrade targets.

My main reasons were cash, avoiding doubling up on too many players in one team, and also being unsure exactly how they were going to perform.

In 2012, we don't have weekly byes which is great. So I'll probably have Swan, Ablett, Judd and maybe Goddard down as players to watch. Although the Goddard one would probably be a big risk.

So who are you targetting for upgrades?

Ringo

This contradicts my previous post somewhat but I am targeting Buddy as an upgrade target basically due to the fact that I think his price will fall due to the Hawks initial hard draw.
Another upgrade target and I have done around 13 is Adam Goodes who always finishes strongly.
I have learned to keep an eye on the prices of premiums in the first few rounds and attempt to pick them up at their lowest eg Ablett  bottomed out at under $500k (I brought him in Round 10 at $533k).  Not as easy as said though. There are failure in this system too Higgns and Didak spring to mind.

Also remember we do have 6 team byes in Rounds 11 - 13 but have not heard yet how SC is treating them

Patrician

Oh yeah, those multi-bye rounds may be tricky to manage.

bowyanger

Ive had a bit of a look at the draw.
I will be targeting Lids and or Cotchin around rd 8 because of their tough start, may even hold off until rd 11 because of the tigers not so bad run home.
Lions have a painful start as well so will be looking at Redden, Rockliff or Luenberger around rd 8 also.
Ive been thinking about a strategy of not getting anyone over the $550K to start with. There were a few players I had last year such as Swan, NRoo & Goddard that really lost me some coin. That coin would have been handy elsewhere to start with...dunno really about this strategy though, so mentioning that, if I do go down that path, I would be targetting also anyone that starts over the 550K such as MMurphy, Mummy, Pendles etc

Torress

goodes is the first to spring to mind, or even ROK as a forward.

more or less prem forwards is where i'm looking to upgrade and stacking from the start elswhere. most likely start buddy and cloke and look for mid priced types after that. looking to bring in goodes/fyfe/stevie j/ ect during season, as forwards can be hot and cold.

Quote from: bowyanger on November 09, 2011, 04:28:35 PM
Ive had a bit of a look at the draw.
I will be targeting Lids and or Cotchin around rd 8 because of their tough start, may even hold off until rd 11 because of the tigers not so bad run home.
Lions have a painful start as well so will be looking at Redden, Rockliff or Luenberger around rd 8 also.
Ive been thinking about a strategy of not getting anyone over the $550K to start with. There were a few players I had last year such as Swan, NRoo & Goddard that really lost me some coin. That coin would have been handy elsewhere to start with...dunno really about this strategy though, so mentioning that, if I do go down that path, I would be targetting also anyone that starts over the 550K such as MMurphy, Mummy, Pendles etc

mate can't say i've even looked at the draw that closely yet but spot on. tigers do have a tough start. prob lids will be my only tiger anyway tho and will start.
its hard to get the balance right. not every player over 550k will start on fire. so who to start huh?? prob is if you don't start anyone over 550k you may slip too far away overall to have any shot at the 50k!!!

bowyanger

Quote from: Torress on November 10, 2011, 03:37:34 PM

its hard to get the balance right. not every player over 550k will start on fire. so who to start huh?? prob is if you don't start anyone over 550k you may slip too far away overall to have any shot at the 50k!!!
Yeah I see your point, but $ = PPG, so whatever you save on the expensive guys, you re invest $ (PPG) elsewhere into other players anyways??
The main point is starting without one of the top 3 players in the comp, SC score wise, your putting yourself behind the front runners by not having a decent captain. So I guess regardless I got to start one of the most expensive players...now just need to monitor pre season fitness and the first say 8 rounds that player (captain) will be playing against. Sydney have a relatively easy start in the 1st 4 games, Mummy looks a candidate at this stage to be my only player over 550K to fullfill  the captaincy role...hes not top 3 SC performer though.