Who are your 2012 must-have starting premiums?

Started by Patrician, November 09, 2011, 11:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrician

Quote from: Voldemort on November 14, 2011, 01:24:51 PM
I would start Lids later as he has a tough start (in the draw) but not GOD

Seems pretty logical.

Although, Deledio did pretty well vs Geelong and Collingwood last year, and apart from last year, he usually does pretty well vs Hawthorn.

ahhhh decisions decisions  ::)

Quote from: Impromptu on November 14, 2011, 09:51:56 PM
I currently have no locks in midfield... and Swan and Pendles don't look like having a spot in my team..

Wow...ok. I can understand just going for one, but neither? Do tell, whats your thinking on that?  ;D

charliesheen

Hm..  I'm guessing it may have to do with the Geelong, Pies, & Freo multi-byes?

Swan & Pendlebury are beasts, but at the same time Selwood & Mundy are really under priced.  Think you will have to make a compromise somewhere.

It may also take a few games for the pies to get used to the coaching changes.

Personally, I think Pendlebury and probably Ablett is too hard to ignore.  I've spoken to some of the S&C Coaches at Collingwood, and Pendlebury is actually the strongest trainer which is not surprising.  Expect him to add more size over the preseason. 

Patrician

charliesheen

Quote from: Patrician on November 15, 2011, 10:56:55 AM
Pendles to add more size? Crikey  :-\

can never have big enough trunks :P  I think many clubs are still behind in the S&C department tbh.

Patrician

Quote from: charliesheen on November 15, 2011, 11:46:54 AM
can never have big enough trunks :P  I think many clubs are still behind in the S&C department tbh.

Ya mum can never have bi.....nah, not going there.  ;)

Ok, new player discussion. Sandilands - 29 soon, being carefully managed. His team plays Port, Crows and Tigers twice. Am I crazy for not locking him in?

charliesheen

2011, Top 5 averages in rounds 1-10

1. Pendlebury - 123.56
2. Cox - 122.56
3. Mundy - 121.78
4. Sandilands - 121.25
5. Boyd - 121.00

I guess you need to decide is whether his average will offset the potential games he misses, when comparing other ruck choices.  Rucks are where things can get interesting in 2012 especially with the byes.

Round 11: Adelaide (S.Jacobs), Brisbane (Leuy), GWS (Giles), North Melbourne (Goldstein), West Coast (Cox) and the Western Bulldogs
Round 12: Collingwood, Geelong (West), Sydney (Mumford), Fremantle (Sandilands), Essendon (Ryder) and Melbourne
Round 13: Carlton, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda (McEvoy)

Patrician

Agreed. Its a tough choice. He's only ever played 22 games in one season.

On the one hand,  take Cox for example. He has a bad year in 2010, and there was a lot of talk of getting off him. And then he blasts back into form. Those who showed a little faith were well rewarded.

On the other hand, maybe consistency is better. Especially in the ruck where you only have two bench players. Maybe its ok to take chances with Rioli in the foward line, where you have MPP and 3 bench players in case he does his hammy. But not so ok, in the Ruck.

bowyanger

Quote from: Patrician on November 15, 2011, 09:46:27 AM
Quote from: Voldemort on November 14, 2011, 01:24:51 PM
I would start Lids later as he has a tough start (in the draw) but not GOD

Seems pretty logical.

Although, Deledio did pretty well vs Geelong and Collingwood last year, and apart from last year, he usually does pretty well vs Hawthorn.

ahhhh decisions decisions  ::)

Quote from: Impromptu on November 14, 2011, 09:51:56 PM
I currently have no locks in midfield... and Swan and Pendles don't look like having a spot in my team..

Wow...ok. I can understand just going for one, but neither? Do tell, whats your thinking on that?  ;D
Im not going pendles or swan either, had em both in 2011 from rd 1.
I wanna see what Bucks & the Pies dish up. Will the game plan get confused? How smart is Bucks REALLLLY.? Especially with the heat on pendles to go GWS from the media. Their draw is a bit tougher also.
They may end up being upgrades of course!

Grazz

At this early stage for me its, Swan, Pendles, Franklin, Gibbs, Goddard, no real suprises there but they are my only certain locks for 2012. I could probably throw Rockcliiff in that bunch also.

Patrician

Rockcliff is tempting. He seems a tad overpriced though....and then there's that rule about Premiums in less-than-dominant teams.

Ringo

As a Lions supporter I am a little wary on Rocky this year,  He will be tagged a lot more following his break out year and before paying the price would like to see how he handles the tight tag.  Just a risk I am highlighting and that is why I am going with Jack Redden over him at this point in time.

Grazz

Yes good points there Ringo, i to share similar concerns with him that you have highlighted and as Pat said his price puts him in the 50/50 basket. That's the reason he is only a probable lock at this stage, i'm a Redden fan also so there's another option should i decide against Rocky, how often did you see those two names at or near the the top scoring wise last year for Brisbane, almost a weekly occurence. I think  Brisbane will be alot better in 2012 but whether that translates to more wins remains to be seen. As Ive said at nauseam Nab cup form will make or break a lot of players for me.

Patrician

Redden as well.....I'm starting to think we need a poll  8)

On second thoughts, there'd be way too many players to make it meaningful.

Ringo

You are right too many players for poll at this stage.

My opinion is Redden at $546k represents a better risk than Rockliff at $603k at this point.

Grazz

Quote from: Patrician on November 17, 2011, 10:49:06 AM
Redden as well.....I'm starting to think we need a poll  8)

On second thoughts, there'd be way too many players to make it meaningful.

lol yeh the list would be as long as your arm. Theres alot of players in that risky price range that people will need to look at when picking their team in 2012.