Trent West an option now that Ottens retired?

Started by 4820, October 31, 2011, 02:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottens retired, West a good SC Option?

Yes
26 (61.9%)
No
5 (11.9%)
Maybe
11 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 4

bomberboy0618

I'll be picking him as my second ruck for sure.

Ziplock

geelong just picked up a 30 year old ruckman in the draft.

Just saying. Nobody picks up a 30 YO ruck if he's not going to make an immediate impact.

Torress

yea i don't think this 30 year old will factor, with both ottens and blake gone in the same year, west had injuries they just need to cover their stocks imo. if west comes up good start of season he is every chance considering his price and the price tag of premium rucks

Ringo

Quote from: Ziplock on November 25, 2011, 11:53:44 AM
geelong just picked up a 30 year old ruckman in the draft.

Just saying. Nobody picks up a 30 YO ruck if he's not going to make an immediate impact.
Agree Zip

I am now looking at a ruck structure of best out of Berger, Mummie, Glodie or H Mac, then West, Maric,Stephenson who must be rookie priced.

If rotations are correct should be some good scoring potentil.

charliesheen

Oren & Giles, man we are gifted !!

IMO, West just needs to string together 3 solid games to have a massive price hike.  With the way rucks are being weighted, that doesn't sound too out of reach.

Just look @ the price increases of Griffin, Clark and even D. Hale.

So many options with the rucks...

bomberboy0618

I am probably going a Berger/Kreuzer and West combo. West will however be dependent on how he was scoring when Ottens did not play. That I am interested in.

charliesheen

IMO, West will become a quality ruckman, rate him.  He will be turning 25 too so should be hitting his straps soon.

WEST / OTTENS / VARDY

R17: 82, DNP, 41
R18:   98, DNP, DNP
R19:   82, 103, DNP
R20:   93, DNP, DNP
R21: DNP,  78, DNP
R22: DNP, DNP, 33
R23:   54, 75, DNP
R24: 50, 112, DNP
QF: 57, 130, DNP
PF: 72, 77, DNP
GF: 51, 76, DNP

bomberboy0618

Quote from: charliesheen on November 25, 2011, 02:49:30 PM
IMO, West will become a quality ruckman, rate him.  He will be turning 25 too so should be hitting his straps soon.

WEST / OTTENS / VARDY

R17: 82, DNP, 41
R18:   98, DNP, DNP
R19:   82, 103, DNP
R20:   93, DNP, DNP
R21: DNP,  78, DNP
R22: DNP, DNP, 33
R23:   54, 75, DNP
R24: 50, 112, DNP
QF: 57, 130, DNP
PF: 72, 77, DNP
GF: 51, 76, DNP
Legend CS!
Should average around 85-90 then in the absence of Ottens. Locked in.

Maca24

I'd stay away with the recruitment of Orren Stephenson.
Just my opinion though.

I see more value in the Leuy/McEvoy and HMac.

charliesheen

I would be more wary of HMAC.  He has never been great around the ground.  Game has changed, be interesting how his preseason goes.

Holz

Quote from: charliesheen on November 26, 2011, 03:40:16 PM
I would be more wary of HMAC.  He has never been great around the ground.  Game has changed, be interesting how his preseason goes.

I believe the plan is for him to take the CHF position, your right he was no cox in the ruck but i thought he moved ok, when he used to go in the forward line for a rest i personally felt he wasn't too bad. IM just worried that we may have too many forwards as crazy as that sounds with petrie, hmac, edwards, pedo, hansen.

IM looking at west, for me it comes down too is orren going to take the number 1 spot or are they using him as a safety net if west or vardy get injured. Its a bit simular with freo, i have been looking at zach clarke, but im not sure if griffin is there just in case or if they plan on him being the sole ruck if sandi goes down.

charliesheen

I think Vardy will be eased through the season from his surgery.  Orren should share the ruck with West for most of the first half of the season I assume.

Hippo

im seriously thinking i will start Orren on the field as 2nd ruck with Burger, a 80+ is not out of this realm imo

charliesheen

Its interesting.  I think you need to treat it like your mid field.  You know the premium mids generally score better than any other position in the ground.

So it is worth sacrificing a premium spot in your midfield to play an extra rookie (who will potentially average ~80) ?

For example, in 2011

Cox averaged 120+
Sandilands was averaging 120+ before he did his toe
Goldstein averaged 113
Mumford averaged 110

Now in the forward line, only Franklin pushed 110+ in 2011.  In the backs, not one single person averaged above 110 in 2011.  If I were to sacrifice a premium positions, it would probably be in the back line, assuming the rookies were good enough (S. Morris, T. Mohr, etc).

Right now I have mixed feeling about this, though leaning towards having the 2 proven premium rucks.

Patrician