Average 113.55
High Score 179 Round 23 v West Coast
Low Score 59 Round 13 v North Melbourne, injured around half time from memory
Century Scores 15 out of 20 games played
High Price $554,700 Round 24
Low Price $418,200 Starting Price Round 1
Predicted 2012 Price (Fan Planner) $603,100

Summary

After averaging 97 through the last 13 rounds of 2010 young Rockliff was worth a risk for a few SCers in 2011, but most saw him as a don't touch, mid priced second year (well played one game in 2009) player.

He opened the season with an 81 and a 75, immediately testing the faith of those that had taken the risk and picked him up. He soon dispersed those fears with a magnificent 163 in round 3. He had a very average 68 in round 7 against the Gold Coast in their loss to their cross town rivals, followed up with an injury in round 9 against North which saw him miss 2 weeks and return a paltry 59. He returned in round 12 for another average score of 90. At this stage he was averaging a touch below 98, and was not exactly returning the faith placed in him by those who took the risk at the start of the season.

This is the point his season turned around with his weekly score not falling below 108 and found him averaging 124.5 for the remainder of the season. Rockliff was only in 2.69% of teams at the end of the season, just over 10,000 so was quite unique, especially for arguably a player that earned himself 'super premium' status in 2011.

Decision

Will not be cheap at $600K plus, and some will argue that there are more proven players out the for there same price or less. The positives to me outweigh the negatives. He is young, should have some improvement left in him, the Lions should improve this year, (well they cannot get any worse!) so they should get a more significant chunk of the 3300.

I would be surprised if Rockliff doesn't increase his average in 2012 to 120+ and I think he will still be quite unique at the start of the season. It is for these reasons that in 2012 he will be Locked and Loaded.

Torpedo10

Locked and Loaded. Will be the next Swan and would be worth to replace Swan with Rockliff at the start of the year and upgrade someone else later in the season to Swan. Swan is a bit pricey at the start of the year.

Voldemort

charliesheen

Nieso FC

Torpedo10

Ringo

Will be locked and loaded.  Only worry is with his break out year will he start being tagged by teams.  Will just have to wait and see how he handles it. Rich did not handle his to well.

Was going to do a profile on him myself Sam but you beat me to it.

Turkies

IMO, Pendles, Swan and Ablett all come before him. Then Hayes and Barlow for value.

Most likely I will see how he goes with the added attention, if him and redden are still pumping out big scores, i'll get one, or both.

charliesheen

Reckon D.Rich will get the tag about 80% of the time.

Rocky is an interesting pick, has an awesome DT:SC ratio, which suggests he will always manage to get the ball.

The question for me, if he maintains rather than improves his average, is he still worth getting?

Turkies

Quote from: charliesheen on October 30, 2011, 03:52:08 PM
Reckon D.Rich will get the tag about 80% of the time.

Rocky is an interesting pick, has an awesome DT:SC ratio, which suggests he will always manage to get the ball.

The question for me, if he maintains rather than improves his average, is he still worth getting?

Yeah, 112 average, VERY consistant, that's worth getting.
But if you think he's going to maintain it, it's not worth having him start. For starters you really want the ultra premiums, or the ones you think will improve.

charliesheen

hmm, okay heres a question

Who in 2011 pushed a 115 average that was not in the top 8? 

Only person I can think of is Boyd and Ablett, and it took Boyd several years to reach that level.

Turkies

Quote from: charliesheen on October 30, 2011, 03:59:15 PM
hmm, okay heres a question

Who in 2011 pushed a 115 average that was not in the top 8? 

Only person I can think of is Boyd and Ablett, and it took Boyd several years to reach that level.

I don't know if that's entirely fair. Generally, teams don't make the 8 because they have worse players than teams in the 8. So better players are more likely to be in a top 8 side, doesn't necessarily mean they can't exist in a bottom 10 side.

I agree it is easier to get big scores in a good side, but he is accompanied by redden and rich in the midfield, so he isn't surrounded by shower players, and I think Brisbane will do better this year than last, plus those 3 are all young so there is room for improvement....

That said, he isn't locked for me just because there are more proven and better value premiums IMO. He could end up averaging 115+ next year, but there is more risk he declines. I'd rather just pick a safer premium and just wait and see how he does.

Voldemort

Quote from: Ringo on October 30, 2011, 03:41:42 PM
Will be locked and loaded.  Only worry is with his break out year will he start being tagged by teams.  Will just have to wait and see how he handles it. Rich did not handle his to well.

Was going to do a profile on him myself Sam but you beat me to it.

teams still put their best taggers on Black, wouldnt be worried about tags, more about breakout blues

charliesheen

I'm talking about historical data.   If you were to go back and look at the records, it would be rare to have someone who averages ~115 SC and that did not play finals.  Which is what Rockliff will probably need to average, which is certainly not impossible.

It has nothing to do with whether team A is superior to team B because they finished higher in the ladder.

Given North Melbournes Fixtures, I actually think there is a strong case for Andrew Swallow as well, especially considering he is at the right age bracket.

Turkies

Quote from: charliesheen on October 30, 2011, 04:30:56 PM
I'm talking about historical data.   If you were to go back and look at the records, it would be rare to have someone who averages ~115 SC and that did not play finals.  Which is what Rockliff will probably need to average, which is certainly not impossible.

It has nothing to do with whether team A is superior to team B because they finished higher in the ladder.

Given North Melbournes Fixtures, I actually think there is a strong case for Andrew Swallow as well, especially considering he is at the right age bracket.

Nathan Buckley had his best year from a DT perspective in 1998 when the pies finished 3rd last. I only know this because i'm a pies supporter. It wasn't 115, but keep in mind disposals were harder to come by in those days.