All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DazBurg

ok for my pick i'm very happy he has slipped through i want this guy cause well his a great player and very versatile

Adam Goodes

Early career

Goodes was drafted by Sydney into the Australian Football League as the No. 43 pick in the 1997 AFL Draft, Sydney's third round draft pick. Goodes spent the 1998 season in the reserves competition, but broke into the first team the following year, and went on to win the league's Rising Star Award.

During 2000 and 2001, Goodes played in a variety of positions, developing his game but lacking consistency at times. He played every game during this period. In early 2002, however, his form had slumped and it had been suggested that he may be dropped. However, coach Rodney Eade resigned mid-season, and under interim (now permanent) coach Paul Roos, Goodes found himself playing more in the ruck. In the second half of that season, his form improved dramatically, resulting in some of the best football of his career. After injuring his knee twice in the ruck, Goodes moved to play on the wing, and went on to win two Brownlow medals.
[edit] 2003: Brownlow Medal success

In 2003, Goodes returned to the ruck position for significant parts of the year, in what became his best season so far. He played a critical role in the Swans revival and eventual Preliminary Final spot that year. In particular, his efforts were crucial in the Swans' win against Port Adelaide in the qualifying final.

At the end of the season, Goodes won the club's best and fairest award (the Bob Skilton Medal) and All-Australian selection for the first time. However, his greatest achievement was winning the league's highest honour, the Brownlow Medal, along with Collingwood's Nathan Buckley and Adelaide's Mark Ricciuto. This was the second time in the history of the medal that the award was shared between three players (the first time was in 1930). Adam Goodes attributes his great success to his long time mentor John Winter.
[edit] 2004â€"2005

Goodes suffered an indifferent 2004, just like his team the Swans, who only managed the Semi-Final stage of the Finals series. He did not repeat his heroic efforts of 2003, mainly due to niggling knee injuries, yet he still managed to play every game. Those knee injuries were due to an awkward fall during the season while playing in the ruck against the West Coast Eagles. Many expected Goodes to have suffered a posterior or anterior knee ligament damage, but he battled on. After this injury, coach Roos announced that Goodes' rucking days were over, and that he would be used in other positions. Goodes played in the backline for the remainder of 2004.

Goodes returned to form in 2005, playing mainly in the midfield. His year was highlighted with a near match-winning 33 disposals in round 18 against the Adelaide Crows. Goodes played well in the 2005 Grand Final, kicked a goal and gathering 20 possessions as the Swans won their first premiership since 1933.[4] He was also awarded life membership of the Swans after playing his 150th game during the year.[5]
[edit] 2006: Second Brownlow Medal

In Round 7 2006 Goodes played his 150th consecutive match, an amazing effort for the injuries he endured in his 2004 year. By the end of the 2007 season, he had played 191 consecutive matches. Goodes returned to the Ruckman position in 2005 and 2006, but only occasionally around the ground, and not in the centre bounce where his knee injury occurred.

In 2006 Goodes had another extraordinary year and once again won the Brownlow Medal. He came into the count as a heavy favourite and he is only the twelfth player to have won two or more Brownlow Medals, the first Aboriginal to win two and the first player to win two with a non-Victorian club.[6] Goodes said of his performance, "I'd like to think with another couple of years in the midfield I could improve again.".[7] Goodes had a poor performance in the first half of the 2006 Grand Final versus the West Coast Eagles in a repeat match of 2005. However, he turned on the heat in the second half with his team coming agonisingly close (losing by one point).

At the end of the year he was once again selected in the All-Australian team.
[edit] 2007â€"2011

Seasons 2007â€"2008 saw Goodes drop off in form which was inevitable due to the high standards set during 2006 but was still instrumental in Sydney's finals campaigns in 2007 and 2008. He was hit with Brownlow Medal-threatening suspensions and charges during both years, and 2008 saw Goodes miss games through suspension and/or injury for the first time since 2000. His 2007 season ended incredibly strongly for him as he received 16 of a possible 18 votes in the last six games of the year.

Goodes played his 250th game in 2009, against Geelong. Adam was arguably one of the best players throughout the 2009 season, having to help out in the forward line because of Barry Hall's mid season departure. He finished the season with 38 goals and averaged 21 disposals. From 2006â€"09 Goodes amassed 84 Brownlow votes which equated to 21 per season, easily a winning tally in years gone by considering he had drawn 22 votes during 2003's success. Interestingly 2009 was between 2007â€"2009 Goodes played career best football in the eyes of some critics and perhaps even better than 2003 or 2006 as evidenced by a career high 8 goal haul against Fremantle in 2008 and more accurate goal kicking when thrust into the forward 50. Goodes played some breathtaking football in 2009 in what was a relatively disappointing season in which the Swans finished 12th and failed to make the finals for the first time in 6 years. He also polled three Brownlow Medal votes in the round 7 match against Geelong which Sydney lost by 51 points.

His mark against Hawthorn in round 2 2009, running goal directly from a centre square bounce against Richmond in 2008 and incredible snap goal against Collingwood in round 21 2009 has led to some believing he was more worthy a recipient of the Brownlow medal in 2008 or 2009 in particular than in 2003 or possibly even 2006.

In 2010, Goodes averaged about 20 disposals and 2 goals a game having been at the forefront at Sydney's revival. They finished the season in 5th position. Having started the season at CHF and providing a good target inside 50 for much of the year, Goodes was shifted into the midfield to great success. Goodes finished 6th in the Bob Skilton Medal and was named in the initial 40 man All-Australian squad but not in the final side. He was also named captain of the International Rules squad to play in Ireland in October.

After a stellar 2009 season and an occasional move to half forward, Goodes was selected last but managed to sneak into the 2009 All-Australian team on the interchange bench.

Goodes has started 2011 playing mostly in the Swans' forward line. While his ball-winning is as good as ever, his goal-kicking has been quite inconsistent so far. In a match against Essendon that season, Goodes had a chance to win the game for Sydney with his team down by 2 points, but his shot at goal drifted to the left, losing the game for Sydney by only a solitary point.

Goodes played his 300th AFL game when the Sydney Swans tackled Hawthorn in the second semi-final, lost by 36 points. He became the quickest player in AFL history to reach the milestone, breaking 2003 joint-Brownlow Medallist Mark Ricciuto's record by 274 days. His late-season surge in form saw him selected in the 2011 All-Australian team, in the forward pocket. It is his fourth selection in the team.

In 2011, he started 2nd favorite for the Brownlow but finished 8th overall and won the 2011 Sydney Swans Best and Fairest beating home Josh Kennedy and Rhyce Shaw who tied for second.

Playing career1
Years    Club    Games (Goals)    
1999â€"    Sydney    300 (352)    
Representative team honours
Years    Team    Games (Goals)    
2008    Victoria    1 (0)    
International team honours
2001â€"2010    Australia    3 (3)    
1 Playing statistics to end of 2011 season .
Career highlights

Sydney premiership player 2005
    Sydney captain 2009â€"
    The Deadly Awards Most Outstanding Achievement 2006
    Brownlow Medal 2003, 2006
    Bob Skilton Medal 2003, 2006, 2011
    All Australian 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011
    Indigenous Team Of The Century
    AFL Rising Star 1999
    Quickest player in AFL history to play 300 AFL games

DazBurg

and for my 2nd pick a true great of the game that i believe gets sold short sometimes
and the last position i need filling

Dustin Fletcher

Playing career

Fletcher was a member of the "Baby Bombers" (Essendon's 1993 premiership team) in his first AFL season. He is the only member of that side still playing AFL football. He also played in Essendon's 2000 premiership win and received the club's "Best and Fairest" award (the Crichton Medal). He was selected as an all-Australian player in both 2000 and 2007.

Fletcher was the goalkeeper for Australia in the International Rules series in 2005, 2006 (as co-captain), and 2010.

In Round 13 of 2008, Dustin and his father Ken claimed the record of most VFL/AFL games played by a father-son combination, with 552 games between them. Fletcher played his 300th game in Round 5, 2009. He is playing his 19th season in 2011, and many regard him to be one of the top defenders in AFL/VFL history.[2]
A banner congratulating Fletcher.

In round 9, 2010, Fletcher played in his 322nd AFL game against the Richmond Football Club, overtaking a long-standing record for the second most games for the Essendon team, held by Dick Reynolds; however, at that stage, he still needed 57 games to overtake the outright record holder, Simon Madden.

He is currently the oldest player in the AFL, at the age of 36, and is also the only player remaining from Essendon's 1993 and 2000 premiership sides still playing today. Fletcher will play his 19th AFL season in 2011 after signing a one year contract.[3]
[edit] Playing style

Fletcher's execution of the torpedo punt was often used as a set-play clearing strategy by coach Kevin Sheedy. In a game in 2007, Fletcher kicked a 75 metre torpedo punt goal from ten metres behind the centre square. Again, in round 20 2009, Fletcher kicked another enormous goal, again a torpedo, in the game that ended the St Kilda Saints 19 match winning streak. According to The Sunday Age, it was the fifth longest kick in the history of the VFL/AFL.[4]

Playing career1
1993â€"    Essendon    347 (68)    
International team honours
2005â€"2010    Australia    6 (0)    
Career highlights

1993 Essendon premiership player
    2000 Essendon premiership player
    2000 W. S. Crichton Medal
    2000 All-Australian team
    2007 All-Australian team

i say his sold short because of how the journo's always say scarlett is so great as a FB yes fletcher doesn't always play there anymore but then again he was taking on the modra's , ablett, dunstall's, before scarlo even made his debut

ossie85

Matthew Scarlett! Woo!

B: Matthew Scarlett, David Dench, Wels Eicke
HB: Jock McHale, Paul Roos, Ron Clegg
C: Keith Greig, Ian Stewart, Greg Williams
HF: - Doug Wade, Des Forthergil
F: Lou Richards, Bob Pratt, Dick Lee
Foll: Roy Cazaly, Ron Barrasi jnr, Nathan Buckley
Inter: Jack Sheedy, Harry Collier, Colin Watson -

BratPack

Quote from: ossie85 on November 15, 2011, 06:30:50 PM

BUCKS!!!

plz. No reasons needed.

It was the one year at Brisbane right?  ;)

c4v3m4n

I just couldn't let him slip any further...

...even though it does present some positional issues...

...but whatever.

I choose...

Glen Jakovich.

c4v3m4n's Titans

FB: Bernie Smith, Vic Thorp, Syd Coventry
HB: Craig Bradley, Glen Jakovich, Geof Motley
C: Vic Cumberland, Barry Cable, Stan Heal
HF: Albert Thurgood, Stephan Kernahan, Ted Whitten
FF: Jack Titus, Austin Robertson Jnr., Jack Dyer
R: Gary Dempsey, Leigh Matthews, Horrie Gorringe
INT: Jim Stynes, Jack Mueller, __________, __________

BratPack

Excuse me Mr Sid....but I believe it's my pick before yours  :P

And I was tossing up between two....Since C4 took Jakovich...I'LL take McLeod

FB: Geoff Southby, Peter Burns, Gavin Wanganeen
HB:Andrew McLeod, Tom Fitzmaurice, Walter Scott
C: Bill Hutchinson, Russell Ebert , Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn
HF: Alex Jesaulenko, Dermott Brereton, George "Specka" Moloney
FF: William "Nipper" Truscott , Tony Lockett, Jack Moriarty
R: Graham "Polly" Farmer, Kevin Bartlett, John D. Daly
INT: Merv McIntosh, Graham Arthur, __________, __________

CrowsFan

AFEV

Quote from: BratPack on November 16, 2011, 04:37:04 AM
Excuse me Mr Sid....but I believe it's my pick before yours  :P

And I was tossing up between two....Since C4 took Jakovich...I'LL take McLeod

R: Graham "Polly" Farmer, Kevin Bartlett, John D. Daly
INT: Merv McIntosh, Graham Arthur, __________, __________

Getting ahead of myself! lol sorry BP :-[
My pick will be up shortly :P

I suppose this is what happens when you go to pick at quarter to 4 :P

AFEV

Instead I will take

Brisbane Lions premiership captain 2001, 2002, 2003
Brisbane Bears Club Champion 1995, 1996
Brownlow Medal 1996
All-Australian Team 1996, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003
Brisbane Lions captain 1997â€"2006
Merrett-Murray Medal 2000, 2001, 2003
Leigh Matthews Trophy 2002, 2003

He, along with a string of other players in the team, can play in the midfield.

FB: Reg Hickey, Stephen Silvagni, Tom Mackenzie
HB: Kevin Murray, Albert Collier, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, Lindsay Head, Robert Flower
HF: Michael Voss, Royce Hart, Darren Jarman
FF: Laurie Nash, Peter Hudson, Peter Daicos
FOLL: Len Thompson, Steve Marsh, Dick Reynolds

I/C: Harold Oliver, John Coleman, _______, _______

Boomz

I'll take Mark Ricciuto :)

FB: Kelvin Moore, Jack Regan, __________
HB: Shine Hosking, Dan Moriarty, James Hird
C: Tim Watson, Jack Clarke, Francis Bourke
HF: Barrie Robran, Wayne Carey, Bob Hank
FF: George Doig, Ken Farmer, Mark Ricciuto
R: John Nicholls, Haydn Bunton Sr, Bob Rose

INT: Tom Leahy, Mark Tandy, Robert Harvey, __________

AFEV

Got the first pick it seems...or at least I hope (gee that'd be embarrassing) ...

Chris Judd

•West Coast premiership captain 2006
•Brownlow Medal 2004, 2010
•West Coast Club Champion Award 2004, 2006
•All-Australian Team 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
•Ross Glendinning Medal Rd 3 2005, Rd 20 2005, Rd 6 2006
•Norm Smith Medal 2005
•West Coast captain 2006â€"2007
•Leigh Matthews Trophy 2006, 2011
•Carlton captain 2008â€"pres
•John Nicholls Medal 2008, 2009, 2010

You'd expect him to add a couple of B&Fs to that tally as well, who knows maybe even a Brownlow or a Premiership :o

FB: Reg Hickey, Stephen Silvagni, Tom Mackenzie
HB: Kevin Murray, Albert Collier, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, Lindsay Head, Robert Flower
HF: Michael Voss, Royce Hart, Darren Jarman
FF: Laurie Nash, Peter Hudson, Peter Daicos
FOLL: Len Thompson, Dick Reynolds, Chris Judd

I/C: Harold Oliver, John Coleman, Steve Marsh, _______

BratPack

Two in mind....But I'm going to lean the way of

Dane Swan

Achievements

• Brownlow Medal
1st - 2011 3rd - 2010 6th - 2007 

• Copeland Trophy (Collingwood Best & Fairest)
2008, 2009, 2010 

• JF McHale Trophy Trophy (4th Collingwood Best & Fairest)

• AFL Premiership Player

• AFLCA Champion Moves Coaches' award

• Leigh Matthews Trophy (AFLPA MVP Award)

• Jim Stynes Medal (Best player of the Australian International rules team)

• Lou Richards Medal

• All Australian (AFL team of the year)
2009, 2010, 2011

R: Graham "Polly" Farmer, Dane Swan, Kevin Bartlett
INT: Merv McIntosh, Graham Arthur, John D. Daly, __________

c4v3m4n

I also had two in mind, but how could I go past the Little Master...

...Gary Ablett Jnr.

Playing Career: 2002 - (Geelong 2002 - 2010, Gold Coast 2011-)
Games: 212
Goals: 280

Geelong leading goalkicker 2006
Geelong premiership side 2007, 2009
Leigh Matthews Trophy 2007, 2008, 2009
AFLCA Champion Player of the Year 2007, 2008, 2009
All-Australian team 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Carji Greeves Medal 2007, 2009
Brownlow Medal 2009
Gold Coast captain 2011â€"
Gold Coast Club Champion 2011

c4v3m4n's Titans

FB: Bernie Smith, Vic Thorp, Syd Coventry
HB: Craig Bradley, Glen Jakovich, Geof Motley
C: Vic Cumberland, Barry Cable, Stan Heal
HF: Albert Thurgood, Stephan Kernahan, Ted Whitten
FF: Jack Titus, Austin Robertson Jnr., Jack Dyer
R: Gary Dempsey, Leigh Matthews, Horrie Gorringe
INT: Jim Stynes, Jack Mueller, Gary Ablett Jnr., __________

ossie85

I will take:

JONATHAN BROWN

Tough call though!

B: Matthew Scarlett, David Dench, Wels Eicke
HB: Jock McHale, Paul Roos, Ron Clegg
C: Keith Greig, Ian Stewart, Greg Williams
HF: - Jonathan Brown, Des Forthergil
F: Lou Richards, Bob Pratt, Dick Lee
Foll: Roy Cazaly, Ron Barrasi jnr, Nathan Buckley
Inter: Jack Sheedy, Harry Collier, Colin Watson, Doug Wade

DazBurg

damnit C4 i wanted ablett jr to go with snr....lol

i'll take Jimmy bartel

AFL career
[edit] 2002â€"2006: Early career

Bartel was drafted by the Geelong Football Club with their first selection, and the eighth overall draft pick, in the 2001 AFL Draft.[2] After making his debut in the opening round of the 2002 AFL premiership season, which was a heavy defeat to Essendon, Bartel went on play in 11 out of a possible 22 senior games over the course of the year.[3] After gathering 21 disposals in Round 4, Bartel was awarded an AFL Rising Star nomination.[2] Having been dropped back to the club's VFL team to play out the second half of the season, Bartel went on to play a key part in helping a young Geelong reserves side capture the 2002 VFL Premiership.[2] In helping the Cats defeat Port Melbourne by 22 points, Bartel saw the club secure its first major piece of silverware since 1982.[4]

Despite an impressive debut season, Bartel struggled to maintain his spot within the team during the 2003 AFL season, featuring in only 13 senior games. Averaging just 12 disposals a game, Bartel was unable to help the Cats qualify for the finals series for the third successive season.[3] After just two senior appearances to begin the 2004 AFL season, Bartel was again dropped back to the VFL and instructed by coaching staff to work on particular aspects of his game. Despite compiling a series of impressive games in the VFL, Bartel was deliberately made to work hard over a two month period before earning a Round 10 recall into the senior side.[5] Bartel's re-introduction to the senior team coincided with Geelong winning ten out of their final twelve games and securing a top four spot ahead of the finals series. Although Geelong were eliminated in the preliminary final by reigning premiers Brisbane, Bartel's averages of 22 disposals and 5 tackles a game over the course of the season had seen him secure his position within the team's midfield rotation.[3] His performances during the second half of the season, during which he averaged 29 disposals and 5 tackles a game,[3] also saw him recognised as the highest-polling Geelong playerâ€"with 13 votes in totalâ€"during the 2004 Brownlow Medal count.

Bartel continued to build on his reputation as a tough, courageous midfielder during the 2005 AFL season, earning his first nomination for the AFLPA Robert Rose Award for Most Courageous Player in the league.[5] Averaging 19.6 disposals a game, Bartel again helped Geelong qualify for the season-ending finals series, where they met Sydney in the semi-finals. After developing a slim lead for much of the game, Geelong struggled to maintain their advantage during the final minutes of the match. Bartel was restricted to just 9 disposals as the Swans eventually won through to the preliminary finals, defeating Geelong by 3 points.
[edit] 2007â€"present: Individual and team success

During the 2007 season, Bartel established himself as one of the premier ball-winning midfielders in the competition, averaging over 27 disposals per gameâ€"the second highest possession average in the leagueâ€"and finishing amongst the top 10 within the league for total disposals (632), total handballs (291), total tackles (122), and tackles per game (5.3).[3] After helping the Cats claim the McClelland Trophy, he was again nominated for the AFLPA Robert Rose Award as the game's most courageous player,[6] and was also rewarded with his first All-Australian jumper.[7]

Bartel's standout season continued when he was awarded the prestigious Brownlow Medal, winning with 29 votesâ€"the highest amount of votes ever by a Geelong medalist, and the third highest ever by any player under the current polling systemâ€"in a season that included eight best on ground performances.[8] Despite missing the final two games of the regular season due to a burst appendix,[8] Bartel also set an AFL record alongside teammate Gary Ablett, Jr., for polling the most combined votes ever by two players of the same club.[8] In addition, the pair combined with teammate Joel Corey to set another AFL record for most votes ever polled by three players of the same club, at 61 votes.[8]

Capping off a finals series in which he had averaged 29 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, and a goal a game,[3] Bartel won his first premiership medallion when he helped Geelong claim the 2007 AFL Premiership. Bartel's 28 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, and 2 goals in the 2007 AFL Grand Final helped the Cats claim an AFL-record 119 point victory over Port Adelaide.[3]

Bartel didn't drop off the pace at all in the 2008 season. He had a relatively quiet start to the season for his standards, but by mid-season he seemed to have hit full throttle and was close to best on ground for a number of weeks consecutively. After 21 rounds, Bartel was second in the competition in disposals (589) behind teammate Joel Corey.

Bartel was a very important player in Geelong's 2009 Grand Final victory over StKilda, earning him his 2nd AFL Premiership Medallion.

With three goals in the 2011 AFL Grand Final win over Collingwood, Bartel earned his first Norm Smith Medal and 3rd Premiership Medallion. Jimmy's natural ability to read the flight of the ball, reading the play, and ability to play in and under, and ability to take strong overhead marks combined with his accuracy on goal make him one of the greatest players of all time, and an undisputed big game performer.

Jimmy obtains the nickname of "Jimmy Everywhere" (and "Jimmy you Superstar") from some of his fans for his ability to pop up on all parts of the ground. He is a very important playmaker for The Cats, creating important passages of play off Half Back, off The Wing, and at Half Forward either assisting goals or kicking the goals himself.

Jimmy is now part of an elite group of individual footballers who have a Premiership Medal, Norm Smith Medal, and Brownlow Medal. Others in the elite group include Simon Black, James Hird, Chris Judd, and Greg Williams.

Playing career1
2002 â€"    Geelong    205 (136)    
Representative team honours
2008    Victoria (Australia) Victoria    1 (0)    
2 State and International statistics correct as of 2008.
Career highlights

AFL

AFL premiership medallion (2007, 2009, 2011)
    2-time NAB Cup premiership winner (2006, 2009)
    Brownlow Medal (2007)
    2-time All-Australian (2007, 2008)
    AFL Rising Star Nomination (2002)
    Norm Smith Medal (2011)

Geelong

VFL Premiership (2002)

TAC Cup

All Australian U/18 (2000, 2001)
    TAC Cup Team of the Year (2000, 2001)
    TAC Cup Premiership (2000)
    Vic Country Most Valuable Player Award (2000)
    Vic Country U/18 (2000, 2001)
    Vic Country U/18 Captain (2001)
    Geelong Falcons Captain (2001)
    Geelong Falcons Best & Fairest (2000)
    Runner-Up Geelong Falcons Best & Fairest (2001)

Other

Geelong Advertiser Bendigo Bank
    Sports Star of the Year Award winner (2007)
    Sports Performer of the Year Award Nominee (2007)