All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFEV

Oh my it is my pick. Hah. Difficult one. Will be up in a minute.

AFEV

The first man to join Sid's Sheep is...

Tom Mackenzie

A member of the AFL Hall of Fame, Tom Mackenzie (along with Tom Leahy) was the first superstar of football in South Australia.
In 1902 he won his first Magarey Medal with West Torrens, 2 years later at the conclusion of the 1904 season he made the move to North Adelaide, where he would immediately enjoy the most successful season of his career. 1905 is considered to be the year he played his best football, winning the Magarey Medal, becoming a Premiership player and being named best afield in his sides victory at the final dance.

The next season (1906) Tom Mackenzie would become the first man ever to win 3 Magarey Medals, this coupled with his 20 appearances for South Australia cements Mackenzie on the list of elite players in the history of the game.

In 1911 Mackenzie was named the captain of North Adelaide, achieving mixed results before retiring from the game two years later.

BratPack

Quote from: Sid on October 28, 2011, 08:35:57 PM

Tom Mackenzie

A member of the AFL Hall of Fame, Tom Mackenzie (along with Tom Leahy) was the first superstar of football in South Australia.
In 1902 he won his first Magarey Medal with West Torrens, 2 years later at the conclusion of the 1904 season he made the move to North Adelaide, where he would immediately enjoy the most successful season of his career. 1905 is considered to be the year he played his best football, winning the Magarey Medal, becoming a Premiership player and being named best afield in his sides victory at the final dance.

The next season (1906) Tom Mackenzie would become the first man ever to win 3 Magarey Medals, this coupled with his 20 appearances for South Australia cements Mackenzie on the list of elite players in the history of the game.

In 1911 Mackenzie was named the captain of North Adelaide, achieving mixed results before retiring from the game two years later.

FLOWER YOU AND YOUR TEAM!  >:(

AFEV

Quote from: BratPack on October 28, 2011, 08:38:00 PM
Quote from: Sid on October 28, 2011, 08:35:57 PM

Tom Mackenzie

FLOWER YOU AND YOUR TEAM!  >:(
HAMICH MACINTOSH HAMISH MACINTOSH HAMISH MACINTOSH >:(....:P

BratPack

Anyway I'll go to the other one of my two then review

Peter Burns

Tall ruckman and full-back who became the game’s first superstar

Recruited by South Melbourne from Ballarat Imperials in 1885, Peter Burns went on to enjoy virtually unrivalled popularity in the Victorian game until his retirement as a player eighteen years later.  His combination of a neo-Herculean physique, immense courage, fervent athleticism, and irreproachable on field behaviour perfectly encapsulated the 'ideal of manhood' which was in vogue at the time.
On the field of play, Burns was an instant success, helping South to a premiership in his first season with the club, and to further flags in 1888-89-90. Burns was equally effective whether positioned at full back, or in the ruck, in which latter case he was perfectly capable of remaining on the ball all day.
The 1892 season saw Burns crossing to Geelong and he went on to give the Pivotonians excellent service for another ten years.  He captained Geelong in 1896 and 1900, and also captained Victoria's intercolonial team.  In 1902, at the age of thirty-six, he was compelled to retire after sustaining a serious leg injury, but he maintained his involvement in football until 1941 by acting as Geelong's official timekeeper.

Playing career: 1897-1902

Games: 89 Goals: 7

Player honors: Geelong captain 1900; Victoria (4 games, 0 goals).

CrowsFan

He has got some very rosy cheeks BP ;)

ossie85

BratPack

And now for the "Around The Horn" pick

John D. Daly

Widely acknowledged as the finest rover of his day, John 'Bunny' Daly was at the forefront of the game for almost twenty years.  Commencing at Norwood in 1887, his blistering pace and exquisite skills of evasion made him a virtual overnight sensation, and he was one of the main reasons for the Redlegs' hat trick of premierships between 1887 and '89.  In 1888 he helped his club to an emphatic triumph 3-0 over South Melbourne in a three match 'Test' series to determine Australia's champion club. After twelve seasons and roughly 130 games with Norwood, Daly was forced to move to West Adelaide in 1899 because of a new rule stipulating that players had to play for the club in whose electoral district they resided.  At the time, West Adelaide was consistently floundering near the base of the premiership ladder, and although 'Bunny' Daly continued to perform with great distinction, he was unable to improve the club's lot.  He retired at the end of the 1904 season after a total of precisely 200 games which spawned four premierships (all for Norwood) and saw him spend time as captain of both of his clubs.  He also played 7 times for South Australia.

Playing career¹
Team(s) Norwood (1887-1898)

• 132 games (approx)
West Adelaide (1899-1904)

• 72 games (approx)
Coaching career¹
Team(s) West Adelaide (1899-1904)

Career highlights

• Norwood captain 1893-1895
  • Norwood leading goalkicker 1887
  • Norwood best and fairest 7 seasons
  • Norwood premiership player 4 times (1887-1889, 1894)
  • West Adelaide captain-coach 1899-1903
  • Represented South Australia (7 games)

So The Brat Pack at the moment (Subject to change)

FB: __________, Peter Burns, __________
HB: __________, __________, __________
C: __________, __________, __________
HF: __________, _________, __________
FF: __________, __________, __________
R: _________, __________, John D. Daly
INT: __________, __________, __________, __________

AFEV

My second pick...Boy I am going to regret this...

Charles H. Pannamopoulos...Although you may know him as Collingwood legend Charlie Pannam ;)

I er...don't have time to write something up myself as I have 15s...so...
Copy + Paste :P

Had great vision, pace and cheekiness and set the prototype for the Collingwood rover.

Playing career: 1897-1908 (Coll 1897-1907, Rich 1908)

Games: 193 (Coll 179, Rich 14) Goals: 133 (Coll 111, Rich 22)

Player honors: Leading goalkicker Medal 1905; Coll leading goalkicker 1904, 1905; Coll captain 1905; Coll premierships 1902, 1903; Victoria (5 games, 2 goals).
- AFL Hall of Fame Bio.
A wingman and a rover, he was the first VFL player to reach the 100 game milestone, he was the VFL Leading Goalkicker in 1905, the last Captain and Coach of Richmond in the VFA and that club's first captain in its inaugural VFL season.
In 1996 Pannam was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame.
- Wikipedia

DazBurg

meh Ax i think pretty much everyone is doing the old copy and paste
me included

AFEV

Quote from: DazBurg on October 28, 2011, 09:32:36 PM
me included
I'll always avoid it if  I can, because I enjoy learning more about the guys I pick and I like writing about how awesome they are/were.

Problem is I'm without a laptop at the moment so I don't have a lot of time to do write-ups :-\

Boomz

I'll take dual magarey medallist Sampson "Shine" Hosking. Quick & had great skills but was a very dirty player apparently :-X Can't be stuffed doing a proper write up but will later.

FB: __________, __________, __________
HB: __________, __________, __________
C: Shine Hosking, __________, __________
HF: __________, _________, __________
FF: __________, __________, __________
R: Tom Leahy, __________, __________
INT: __________, __________, __________, __________

DazBurg

Quote from: Sid on October 28, 2011, 09:34:08 PM
Quote from: DazBurg on October 28, 2011, 09:32:36 PM
me included
I'll always avoid it if  I can, because I enjoy learning more about the guys I pick and I like writing about how awesome they are/were.

Problem is I'm without a laptop at the moment so I don't have a lot of time to do write-ups :-\
well i look up as much as i can of my guys i'm picking and then usually take a bit from each

DazBurg

my next pick

Jack Tredrea

Between 1903 and 1922, Jack Tredrea played a total of 191 league games - no mean feat considering that his club, South Adelaide, only played an average of 12 games per season for most of his career, which began in 1903 and ended nineteen years later, with the period 1916-18 being lost owing to World War One. 

A tough, team-orientated player, Tredrea was invaluable to both his club and state in that he was sufficiently versatile to succeed in almost any position on the field.  Tredrea was also supremely fit and could maintain the same high levels of pace and vigour throughout a game.  A highly proficient exponent of the stab pass, he rarely wasted a possession, and his fearless attack on the ball even won the admiration of notoriously hard to impress Victorians in the interstate arena, a type of football in which Tredrea excelled for over 30 games (sources vary as to the precise number).

nice little back pocket for me  :)

AFEV

Both very nice players.
Picked Tredrea in the All Time, rate him highly.