All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomz

Quote from: ossie85 on October 26, 2011, 02:04:59 PM
Quote from: BOOMZ on October 25, 2011, 01:09:46 PM
C4 is busy so start time will be tomorrow at midnight.

So is that Today? (i.e. a bit less than 11 hours away?)

Yeah  :) unless c4 wants to pick sooner...

Boomz

Not sure where c4 is. Hopefully he picks soon. Has till midnight before he's skipped.

ossie85

Quote from: BOOMZ on October 27, 2011, 12:21:17 PM
Not sure where c4 is. Hopefully he picks soon. Has till midnight before he's skipped.

Correction, he has until I get up tomorrow morning to take the pick!

Boomz

Quote from: ossie85 on October 27, 2011, 01:18:54 PM
Quote from: BOOMZ on October 27, 2011, 12:21:17 PM

Correction, he has until I get up tomorrow morning to take the pick!

haha true  :P

c4v3m4n

Sorry guys, been a little busy these last 48 hours! Phew! Just in the nick of time I see... :P

Anyway, I know you are all anxious for me to take the very first pick for this draft...so without further ado...

I choose... *drum rolls*

...Albert 'The Great' Thurgood.

Mini Bio

Playing Career: 1892 - 1906 (Essendon 1892 - 1894, Fremantle 1895 - 1898, Essendon 1899 - 1902, 1906)
Games: Varies (as low as 46, as high as 163)
Goals: Varies (as low as 89, as high as 625!)

Honors: Champion of the Colony 1893, 1894, 1901, WAFA leading goalkicker 1895-1897, VFL leading goalkicker 1900, Essendon B&F 1901 and club leading goalkicker in 1900, 1902.

Albert 'The Great' Thurgood was football's first 'superstar'. He was a key position player and due to his elite skills, he could play anywhere and win the ball with ease. His greatest asset was his kicking skills; kicking 70m+ drop-punts and 80m+ drop-kicks quite regularly with amazing accuracy.

During an match between Essendon and Carlton in 1893, it was recorded that he kicked the ball 104 yards and 2 feet, or 95.71 metres! This is a record that amazingly still stands today (for a place-kick  :P).

He was also the first player to win the Champion of the Colony medal three times, a medal that is seen as a precursor to the Brownlow Medal.

A fine choice to kick things off. Plus I thought like the last all-time draft, bio's would be a good idea.  :)

Anyway, for the time being, I will slot him in at his usually playing spot, centre-half forward. But that might change later... ;)

c4v3m4n's Titans

FB: __________, __________, __________
HB: __________, __________, __________
C: __________, __________, __________
HF: __________, Albert Thurgood, __________
FF: __________, __________, __________
R: __________, __________, __________
INT: __________, __________, __________, __________

Boomz

Thought you would pick him. Was the clear choice imo.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: BOOMZ on October 28, 2011, 12:03:08 AM

There were two other players that were close...was almost going to pick one of them. But I chose against it for a good reason.

Yep, very happy with my choice.

Now to wait for the last pick of the decade... :S

ossie85

Quote from: BOOMZ on October 28, 2011, 12:03:08 AM

Disagree! Though Thurgood is a pick I must admit looks awesome. This guy was me #1 pick:

Dick Lee

Walter Henry "Dick" Lee (19 March 1889 â€" 11 September 1968)

Lee was one of the first great forwards in Australian Football with an ability to win the ball on the ground or in the air.

Lee won the Leading goalkicking medal (now known as the Coleman) a staggering 8 times. More than any other player history with Gordon Coventry next on the list with 6, and John Coleman with 5.

Debut
Round 7, 1906, Collingwood v. Melbourne, at Victoria Park

Team(s)   
Collingwood (1906â€"22)
230 Games, 707 goals

Career highlights
Collingwood leading goalkicker 1906â€"10, 1914â€"17, 1919, 1921
Leading goalkicker Medal 1907â€"10, 1914, 1916â€"17, 1919
Collingwood Captain 1920â€"21
Collingwood Premiership side 1910, 1917, 1919
Collingwood Team of the Century
Victorian representative 19 games, 60 goals

DazBurg

Well for my first pick

Henry Young

Career: 1897â€"1910    Geelong
Games: 167
Goals: 76
Height: 191 cm
Weight: 90 kg

Henry "Tracker" Young was an outstanding ruckman who was allegedly never beaten in a game. He commanded respect whether it was on the football field, the boxing ring, riding in the Melbourne to Warrnambool road race, or rowing on Corio Bay. A supremely athletic and fit person, it allowed him to ruck for four quarters, often brilliantly and with a dominating effect on his opponents, such was the consistency of his play the opposing rovers tried to feed off his hit outs. Strong and courageous, and a magnificent high mark he displayed a cool temperament and always at the forefront of protecting his teammates with effective shepherding. Tracker's fitness was that impressive that it is well known that he ran 30 plus kilometers along the beach to the game, play four quarters in the ruck and then ran 30 kilometers back home

Career Highlights:     
Geelong Best & Fairest 1905, 1906
Geelong captain 1901â€"1909
Geelong Team of the Century
Victorian representative 7 games, 5 goals

Happy with that pick probably bit short for a ruckman over what we will pick later on but can play him as support ruck/forward role
with that fitness will have no problems competing with the players from the later decades aswell ;)

Boomz

Interesting pick Daz... I rate the ruckman I'm about to pick higher though  :-X

Tom Leahy

151 games and 18 goals for West Adelaide, 1907 - 1909
111 games and 60 goals for North Adelaide, 1910 - 1921
Captain of North Adelaide, 1915, 1919, 1920, 1921
Captain of South Australia, 1919, 1920, 1921
Named as ruckman in South Australia's Team of the Century.
Named as ruckman in North Adelaide's Team of the Century.

Known throughout Australia as 'The Prince of Ruckmen' Tom Leahy was arguably the most widely celebrated footballer produced in South Australia prior to the onset of the television age.  The reasons for his high reputation were legion.  In the first place, he possessed all the skills necessary to succeed as a ruckman in the 'ruck shepherd era', a time when the primary objective of the second player in a ruck combination (the player who would later metamorphose into the ruck rover) was to impede and interfere with the opposition's main ruckman in an effort to prevent him contesting the knock. Leahy's strength, intelligence and athleticism enabled him to counter these tactics better than anyone. He was a consistent matchwinner in 200 home and interstate matches.

FB: __________, __________, __________
HB: __________, __________, __________
C: __________, __________, __________
HF: __________, _________, __________
FF: __________, __________, __________
R: Tom Leahy, __________, __________
INT: __________, __________, __________, __________

BratPack

I have two in mind. I just hope Sid doesn't take one of them  :P

ossie85

DazBurg

Both good Boomzie
can't really compare cause they didn't play against each other ;)

btw all i can see is he played
58 with West Adelaide
111 with North Adelaide
27 for South Australia

thats on wiki and fullpoints footy.....not saying u wrong just wondering what site u got it from cause that seems to have more info on players

Boomz

Quote from: DazBurg on October 28, 2011, 01:36:55 PM
Both good Boomzie

58 with West Adelaide
111 with North Adelaide
27 for South Australia

thats on wiki and fullpoints footy.....not saying u wrong just wondering what site u got it from cause that seems to have more info on players

Got it off the SANFL (HoF section) site but now I look at it ... Doesn't make sense he would've played 151 matches in 2 seasons :-X lol bit strange they have that on there though...

DazBurg

Quote from: BOOMZ on October 28, 2011, 01:46:37 PM
Quote from: DazBurg on October 28, 2011, 01:36:55 PM
Both good Boomzie

58 with West Adelaide
111 with North Adelaide
27 for South Australia

Got it off the SANFL (HoF section) site but now I look at it ... Doesn't make sense he would've played 151 matches in 2 seasons :-X lol bit strange they have that on there though...
maybe they have a typo is all
dunno...lol