All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomz

I'll take the talented Peake... Brian Peake >:D

One of the great midfielders of the WAFL.

WAFL representative team 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
East Fremantle premiership side 1974, 1979, 1985
East Fremantle best and fairest 1976â€"80, 1987
Sandover Medal 1977
WA State of Origin team 1978â€"82, 1984â€"87
WA State of Origin captain 1979, 1980, 1986, 1987
All-Australian team 1979, 1980, 1986
All-Australian captain 1979, 1986
Tassie Medal 1979
Geelong captain 1982
West Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee 2004

FB: Kelvin Moore, Jack Regan, Darren Glass
HB: Shine Hosking, Dan Moriarty, Francis Bourke
C: Tim Watson, Jack Clarke, James Hird
HF: Barrie Robran, Wayne Carey, Bob Hank
FF: George Doig, Ken Farmer, Mark Ricciuto
R: John Nicholls, Haydn Bunton Sr, Bob Rose

INT: Tom Leahy, Brian Peake, Robert Harvey, Stephen Michael

EME: Matthew Pavlich, Mark Tandy,

DazBurg

well for my next pick i just can't leave this guy don't really need him that much but just can't leave him

Jason Dunstall

FL/AFL career

Dunstall was recruited by the Melbourne-based Hawthorn Football Club who were looking for a "stay at home" type full-forward and he made his VFL/AFL debut in the league in 1985.

Nicknamed Piggy due to his stocky physique, Jason Dunstall took no time to start kicking goals for the club. He kicked 100 goals in a season a record six times and won the Coleman Medal in 1988, 1989 and 1992.[1] In May 1992, he kicked a career best of 17 goals in a game against the Richmond Football Club, just one goal short of the all time record.[1]

At 188 cm, Dunstall was not an overly tall full-forward and was not known for taking overhead marks. Instead, he often used his explosive pace off the mark to lead into space, which enabled him to take trademark chest marks and diving marks. Other times, he used his stocky 100+ kilogram frame to outbody opponents.

Dunstall had an extremely high accuracy in kicking goals from set shots. These techniques, as well as his ability to shrug tackles and snap goals more than made up for his lack of height.[citation needed]

One of the most admired aspects of Dunstall's play was not only his own prolific scoring rate, but also his capacity to set up or unselfishly assist goals by handing the ball off to team mates in better position â€" handpassing, or shepherding and using his body well to position other players, on some regular basis, to also score goals. This capacity to contribute to the team's overall performance and its victory via both â€" the efforts of his own personal boot and that of other team mates kicking goals partly from his assistance to them â€" made him one of the greatest full-forwards to ever pull on a boot.

Dunstall played in premiership sides in 1986, 1988, 1989 and 1991.[1] He also played in five night premierships.[1] From 1995â€"98, he captained the Hawks.[4] Dunstall narrowly missed winning the prestigious Brownlow Medal on several occasions, twice finishing second,[5] and twice third in voting (Tony Lockett is the only player of Dunstall's field position to have won the medal). Dunstall was renowned for being a fair player and despite his intimidating size in an era when the game was notorious for behind-the-play incidents, he was well respected by umpires.

Dunstall qualified for the prestigious All-Australian side in 1992 and 1994,[1] and was also part of the Hawthorn Team of the Century.[1] He retired at the end of season 1998 after 269 games

Playing career1
Years    Club    Games (Goals)    
1985â€"1998    Hawthorn    269 (1254)    
1 Playing statistics to end of 1998 season .
Career highlights

Peter Crimmins Medal 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993
    Hawthorn Premiership Team 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991
    Hawthorn Leading Goalkicker 1986â€"1996, 1998
    Hawthorn Captain 1995â€"1998
    All-Australian 1992, 1994
    Represented both Victoria and the All-Stars in State of Origin
    Coleman Medal 1988, 1989, 1992
    Hawthorn Team of the Century

ossie85

Scott Pendlebury

B: Matthew Scarlett, David Dench, Wels Eicke
HB: Jock McHale, Paul Roos, Ron Clegg
C: Keith Greig, Ian Stewart, Greg Williams
HF: Nathan Buckley, Jonathan Brown, Des Forthergil
F: Lou Richards, Bob Pratt, Dick Lee
Foll: Roy Cazaly, Ron Barrasi jnr, Joel Selwood
Inter: Jack Sheedy, Dean Cox, Scott Pendlebury, Harry Collier
Emerg: Doug Wade, Colin Watson

c4v3m4n

Wow...can't believe he came back to me.

I choose Peter Carey.

Playing Record

Playing Career: 1971 - 1988 (Glenelg)
Games: 448
Goals: 521

Achievements

Glenelg Captain for 6 years
Glenelg Premiership player 1973, 1986, 1987
Glenelg Best and Fairest 1975, 1979, 1981
Glenelg Leading Goalkicker 1973
All-Australian 1979, 1980
Fos Williams Medallist 1981
19 interstate matches for South Australia

c4v3m4n's Titans

FB: Bernie Smith, Vic Thorp, Syd Coventry
HB: Ted Whitten, Glen Jakovich, Geof Motley
C: Craig Bradley, Barry Cable, Peter Matera
HF: Albert Thurgood, Stephan Kernahan, Bernie Quinlan
FF: Jack Titus, Austin Robertson Jnr., Jack Dyer
R: Gary Dempsey, Leigh Matthews, Horrie Gorringe
INT: Jim Stynes, Jack Mueller, Stan Heal, Gary Ablett Jnr.

EMG: Vic Cumberland, Peter Carey, ____________

BratPack

Hmmmm the final two selections....I think I need a forward first

Harry "Soapy" Vallence

After a stuttering start to his league career with Carlton Harry 'Soapy' Vallence developed into arguably the greatest full forward in the club's history.  Deceptively awkward looking, he was actually very agile when the ball hit the deck, while his overhead marking ability was second to none.  Early in his career, however, the Carlton brains trust found it hard to decide where best to place him, and it was only when he was shifted to the goalfront in 1929, his fourth league season, that he began to blossom.  Vallence, who used the punt kick almost exclusively when kicking for goal, registered 64 goals that year to finish second on the VFL list to Collingwood's Gordon Coventry; it was also the first of eight occasions on which he would win Carlton's top goalkicker award.  The presence in the league of numerous other full forwards of the highest quality meant that Vallence's interstate opportunities were somewhat limited; nevertheless, he represented the Big V on 5 occasions, booting 8 goals against South Australia in 1931, the same year that saw him top the VFL's goalkicking table for the first and only time.
'Soapy' Vallence's greatness was not merely a matter of statistics, however.  Perhaps more than any other full forward of his time, he habitually reserved his best displays for important occasions, such as the 1st semi final of 1931, and the following season's preliminary final, in both of which he booted 11 goals. 
Vallence's last game in a Carlton jumper was almost certainly the most rewarding.  In 1938, after more than a decade of almost perennial, but fruitless, finals participation, the Blues finally broke through for a flag, beating arch rivals Collingwood in a tensely fought grand final by 15 points.  Lining up on a half forward flank, Harry Vallence had a quiet game, but he had consistently proved over the course of the whole season that he still had plenty to offer.  It would not be the Blues though who would benefit.
In 1939, Vallence became one of the first big name VFL stars in many years to transfer to the VFA when he signed for Williamstown.  In his debut season with the Seagulls he kicked 133, and the following season he embarked on a prolific, though brief, partnership with former Collingwood sharpshooter Ron Todd, who had followed Vallence to the Association.  In one match against Sandringham in 1941, Vallence booted 20 goals, to add to bags of 18 and 15 kicked against Oakleigh and Yarraville in 1939 and 1940 respectively.  With such firepower in its armoury, the only surprise was that Williamstown was unable to procure a premiership before the VFA ceased operations, owing to the war, in 1942.
When the VFA competition resumed in 1945, Harry Vallence joined Brighton as captain-coach, where he continued to display great skill, intelligence and goalkicking prowess for the remaining two seasons of his senior career.  This was particularly the case in 1946, his last year, when his tally of 77 goals was good enough to top the club's list, and was fourth highest in the VFA.  In his final senior match, aged forty-one, Vallence booted 11 goals.
Vallence's importance in the history of the Carlton Football Club was endorsed with his selection in the club's official 'Team of the Century' - the only pre-World War Two player to be so honoured.
Playing career:

• Carlton 1926â€"1938 (Games: 204 Goals: 722)
Player honors:

• VFL Leading goalkicker Medal 1931 (86 goals)
  • Carlton leading goalkicker 1929, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938
  • Carlton premiership 1938
  • Carlton Team of the Century
  • Victorian representative (4 games, 17 goals)
As for the final pick.....I need a player who can hit out in a pinch.....and I need someone who knows tactics...

Kevin Sheedy

When the VFA broke its permit agreement with the VFL in 1965 it unwittingly created a double edged sword which was to see it lose a large number of promising young players to its rival.  One such was Kevin Sheedy, a nineteen year old centreman who had starred in Prahran's 1966 2nd division premiership win, and who crossed to Richmond without a clearance the following year.  Never the most elegant or poised of footballers, his gutsy, hard-as-nails approach disguised a masterful football brain which would later be put to supreme use as coach of Essendon.  As a player, it was evidenced in his uncanny ability to achieve the wood on ostensibly more talented opponents, often by the application of psychological methods which were not immediately susceptible to scrutiny. Kevin Sheedy played 251 VFL games for Richmond between 1967 and 1979, kicking 91 goals; he won a best and fairest award in 1976, and was the Tigers' captain in 1978.  A member of premiership teams in 1969, 1973 and 1974, Sheedy helped literally revolutionise the game by perfecting the use of back-spin with handball, effectively inventing the technique that all modern players use by default.  It was obvious that he was a coach in the making, and in 1981 he took over from Barry Davis at the helm of the club he had supported as a boy, Essendon.
In just over a quarter of a century in charge of one of Australian football's bona fide power clubs Kevin Sheedy achieved everything the game has to offer, overseeing four premierships and being selected as All Australian or AFL All Australian coach on three occasions.  In 2007, however, the powers that be at Essendon decided that it was time for a change, and at season's end Sheedy was replaced as coach by Matthew Knights
Notwithstanding the somewhat disappointing climax to his career with the Bombers, Kevin Sheedy remains one of the the greatest and most influential figures in the history of the game, a status unlikely to be diminished no matter what the future may bring.
Years Club Games (Goals) 1967â€"1979 Richmond 251 (91) International team honours Years Team Games (Goals) 2005â€"2006 Australia (coach) 4 Coaching career3 Years Club Games (Wâ€"Lâ€"D) 1981â€"2007
2012â€"
Total Essendon
Greater Western Sydney 634 (386â€"242â€"6)
0 (0â€"0â€"0)
634 (386â€"242â€"6)
1 Playing statistics to end of 1979 season .
3 Coaching statistics correct as of 2007. Career highlights

So behold the Final team of The Brat Pack

FB: Geoff Southby, Peter Burns, Gavin Wanganeen
HB:Andrew McLeod, Glenn Archer, Walter Scott
C: Bill Hutchinson, Russell Ebert , Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn
HF: Alex Jesaulenko (vc), Dermott Brereton, George "Specka" Moloney
FF:Matthew Lloyd , Tony Lockett, Harry "Soapy" Vallence
R: Graham "Polly" Farmer (c), Dane Swan, Kevin Bartlett
INT: Merv McIntosh, Graham Arthur, John D. Daly, William "Nipper" Truscott
EMG: Tom Fitzmaurice, Jack Moriarty, Kevin Sheedy (Coach)

ossie85

LANCE FRANKLIN

All done :)

B: Matthew Scarlett, David Dench, Wels Eicke
HB: Jock McHale, Paul Roos, Ron Clegg
C: Keith Greig, Ian Stewart, Greg Williams
HF: Nathan Buckley, Jonathan Brown, Des Forthergil
F: Lou Richards, Bob Pratt, Dick Lee
Foll: Roy Cazaly, Ron Barrasi jnr, Joel Selwood
Inter: Jack Sheedy, Dean Cox, Scott Pendlebury, Harry Collier
Emerg: Doug Wade, Colin Watson, Lance Franklin

c4v3m4n

Wow, a lot of modern players still going...  :o

ossie85

Quote from: c4v3m4n on November 20, 2011, 06:48:35 PM
Wow, a lot of modern players still going...  :o

My team was trying to extend to the "2010s" era, and those 3 (Selwood, Pendles, Buddy) seemed the best candidates

c4v3m4n

Actually...

...am I able to change my last pick?  :-\

DazBurg

*waits to do my pick till C4's question is cleared up*

ossie85

As long as he doesn't pick Buddy, I'm fine with it...

AFEV

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Sid on November 21, 2011, 08:47:37 AM
Quote from: c4v3m4n on November 20, 2011, 11:46:14 PM
Actually...

...am I able to change my last pick?  :-\
For sure C4 :)

Thanks guys. And no, it's not Buddy.

I choose instead...

Bill Walker

Playing Career

Career: 1961 - 1976 (Swan Districts)
Games: 305
Goals: 457

Player Achievements

• Swan Districts leading goalkicker 1961
  • Swan Districts premiership side 1961, 1962, 1963
  • Sandover Medal 1965, 1966, 1967, 1970
  • Swan Districts best and fairest 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970
  • Simpson Medal 1967 (best WA player in a State of Origin match)
  • Australian Football World Tour 1968
  • All-Australian team 1969
  • Swan Districts captain 1969â€"75
  • WAFL life member 1985
  • Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee 1996
  • West Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee 2004

c4v3m4n's Titans Final Team

FB: Bernie Smith, Vic Thorp, Syd Coventry
HB: Ted Whitten (captain), Glen Jakovich, Geof Motley
C: Craig Bradley, Barry Cable, Peter Matera
HF: Albert Thurgood, Stephan Kernahan, Bernie Quinlan
FF: Jack Titus, Austin Robertson Jnr., Horrie Gorringe
R: Gary Dempsey, Leigh Matthews (coach), Bill Walker
INT: Jim Stynes, Jack Dyer, Jack Mueller, Gary Ablett Jnr.

EMG: Vic Cumberland, Peter Carey, Stan Heal

DazBurg

last pick for me is

Robert DiPierdomeraco

AFL career

Beginning his career with the Hawthorn Football Club in 1975, DiPierdomenico, or the "Big Dipper" as he is affectionately known, kick-started his career in 1978, culminating in a best-on-ground performance in the 1978 VFL Grand Final. He went on to play 240 games and kick 130 goals with the Hawks, retiring in 1991, including 5 day and 5 night premierships with one of the most successful eras of domination a club has ever seen.

DiPierdomenico was initially assigned guernsey number #53, but subsequently wore number #9.

He was known for his toughness (which led to many trips to the Tribunal), and the moustachioed Dipper was one of the much-loved, and most media-covered characters in the VFL during the 1980s.

DiPierdomenico somehow managed to avoid the Tribunal in 1986 to win the Brownlow Medal, tying with Greg Williams, who was playing for Sydney at the time. Later in the week, he would win his third Premiership medallion as the Hawks defeated Carlton by 42 points.

Late in the first quarter of the 1989 VFL Grand Final, DiPierdomenico was running backwards to take a mark when he was met solidly from behind by Geelong star Gary Ablett. The force of the collision broke several of DiPierdomenico's ribs and punctured one of his lungs. Despite the pain and unaware of the extent of the damage, DiPierdomenico continued to play until the final siren. Typically, he featured among Hawthorn's best players and also got reported. He collapsed shortly after the game and was rushed to the casualty ward of St. Vincent's Hospital, where doctors found out that Dipper had punctured a lung. He recounted the gravity of the situation years later:

"By this time I'd been shifted into intensive care. The doctor came in and said if they didn't gag me I was gone... So there you are. I had eight days in hospital to think about what might have happened. To tell you the truth, it scared me."[1]

Playing career1
Years    Club    Games (Goals)    
1975â€"1991    Hawthorn    240 (130)    
1 Playing statistics to end of 1991 season .
Career highlights

Hawthorn premiership player
        1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989
    Brownlow Medal 1986

so my final team looks like

FB.   Jack Tredrea   Dustin Fletcher      Wally Buttsworth
HB.   Len Fitzgerald   Dan Minogue      Bruce Doull
C...   Allan Ruthven   Ivor Warne Smith   Edward ‘Carji’ Greeves
HF.   Darrel Baldock   Paul Salmon      Malcolm Blight
FF.   Gorden Coventry Gary Ablett Snr      Jason Dunstall
Foll   Simon Madden   Michael Tuck      Bob Skilton      
Inter   Adam Goodes   James Bartel   Simon Black   John Platten
Emerg:   Henry Young   Robert DiPierdomeraco   Norm Smith (Coach)

Boomz

I'll take a HBF in Denis Marshall... Great pace & skills. Exactly what I needed with my last pick.

FB: Kelvin Moore, Jack Regan, Darren Glass
HB: Denis Marshall, Dan Moriarty, Francis Bourke
C: Tim Watson, Jack Clarke, James Hird
HF: Barrie Robran, Wayne Carey, Bob Hank
FF: George Doig, Ken Farmer, Mark Ricciuto
R: John Nicholls, Haydn Bunton Sr, Bob Rose

INT: Tom Leahy, Brian Peake, Robert Harvey, Stephen Michael

EME: Matthew Pavlich, Mark Tandy, Sampson Hosking