All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3m4n

Ah, didn't realise it was my pick!  :o

I'll do some quick research and then take my pick.

c4v3m4n

After much due consideration...

...I know there are probably plenty of players ahead of him, but he is a favourite of mine. Plus I need him to fix up the team a little.

I choose the Superboot, Bernie Quinlan.

FB: Bernie Smith, Vic Thorp, Syd Coventry
HB: Ted Whitten, Glen Jakovich, Geof Motley
C: Craig Bradley, Barry Cable, Peter Matera
HF: Albert Thurgood, Stephan Kernahan, Bernie Quinlan
FF: Jack Titus, Austin Robertson Jnr., Jack Dyer
R: Gary Dempsey, Leigh Matthews, Horrie Gorringe
INT: Jim Stynes, Jack Mueller, Stan Heal, Gary Ablett Jnr.

EMG: Vic Cumberland, ____________, ____________

Yep, I'm happy having two of the longest kickers ever.  ;D

Got my eye on three other players, here's hoping they all don't get picked up! Something tells me they will...though one may slip through....hopefully. :(

ossie85

With players in my team over 100 years old, I need some youth.

JOEL SELWOOD

B: Matthew Scarlett, David Dench, Wels Eicke
HB: Jock McHale, Paul Roos, Ron Clegg
C: Keith Greig, Ian Stewart, Greg Williams
HF: Nathan Buckley, Jonathan Brown, Des Forthergil
F: Lou Richards, Bob Pratt, Dick Lee
Foll: Roy Cazaly, Ron Barrasi jnr, Joel Selwood
Inter: Jack Sheedy, Dean Cox, Colin Watson, Harry Collier
Emerg: Doug Wade

Also, I'm glad someone picked Quinlan, one of my favourites from yesteryear

DazBurg

ok now i can pick this guy properly this time lol

John Platten

Career

Platten began (and ended) his career with the Central District Bulldogs in the SANFL competition. A junior with Centrals, he commenced in the junior ranks in 1979 and made his league debut in 1981. Platten immediately made an impact with Centrals, becoming a full State Representative in 1982 and continued to be a regular in the State Team throughout his career. Platten's greatest achievement at Centrals was his 1984 Magarey Medal triumph along with two best and fairest awards.

Platten was recruited to the Hawthorn Football Club for the 1986 season. He went on to play for the Hawks between 1986 and 1997, playing 258 games and kicking 228 goals. He was a gutsy rover who won a Brownlow Medal in 1987, tying with Tony Lockett. He won All-Australian selection in 1985 (with Centrals), 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1992 (with Hawthorn), as well as playing in the Hawks' premiership sides in 1986, 1988, 1989, and 1991.

In 1998, Platten retired from the Hawthorn Football Club, and made a dramatic return to Central District along with Gilbert McAdam, another of the Bulldogs' all-time greats. Platten kicked the match winning goal of his comeback match against Glenelg at Elizabeth Oval, however injury plagued his long-awaited comeback and he retired from football altogether after sustaining a knee injury mid-season. His return to Elizabeth Oval wasn't the success it was hoped for, but was a joyous event for long-time Centrals fans regardless. Platten has been a notable attendee at Centrals recent premiership successes, an achievement he was unfortunately never to enjoy with his boyhood club.

Platten now coaches country football in South Australia. He played 113 games for Central District in the SANFL and was the club's best and fairest in 1984 and 1985, and its leading goalkicker in 1981 and 1985.

Playing career¹
Team(s)    

Central District (1981-85, 1998)

113 games

Hawthorn (1986â€"1997)

258 games, 228 goals

South Australia

15 games

¹ Statistics to end of 1998 season
Career highlights

Magarey Medal 1984
    Central District Best & Fairest 1984, 1985
    Brownlow Medal 1987 (tie with Tony Lockett)
    5 time All-Australian 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1992
    Premiership player in 1986, 1988, 1989, and 1991
    Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee
    Peter Crimmins Medal 1987 and 1994
    Hawthorn Team of the Century member

c4v3m4n

Quote from: ossie85 on November 19, 2011, 07:24:07 AM
Also, I'm glad someone picked Quinlan, one of my favourites from yesteryear

I just couldn't pass him up. :)

It also allowed me to throw Whitten back to the half-back line, where he played his best football.

Got some good uniques lined up, though I've got a feeling Sid/Boomz will take them before I do.  :(

FisherSaints

How come  are picking Joel Selwood and some are picking Bearnie Quinlan, the aren't in the same era

ossie85

Quote from: FisherSaints on November 19, 2011, 11:46:23 AM
How come  are picking Joel Selwood and some are picking Bearnie Quinlan, the aren't in the same era

We've finished our 22 :) Now we have 3 free choices :)

Boomz

Sid will hate me for picking him but... Stephen Michael 8)

Dominated the WAFL through the 70's & 80's playing mainly as a ruckman/fwd with great pace & skills.  He won the Sandover Medal in 1980 and 1981. His 37 votes in 1981 (with nine best-on-grounds and receiving votes in 15 of the 21 games played) was a record tally under the 3-2-1 voting system in place at the time. He represented Western Australia in State or State of Origin football on 17 occasions, captaining the side 3 times. In 1983 he won the Simpson Medal for the best player in the WA vs SA game and the Tassie Medal as the best player in Australia in State of Origin football and was named captain in the 1983 All-Australian Team. He won the South Fremantle's fairest and best in 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981 and 1983.

FB: Kelvin Moore, Jack Regan, Darren Glass
HB: Shine Hosking, Dan Moriarty, Francis Bourke
C: Tim Watson, Jack Clarke, James Hird
HF: Barrie Robran, Wayne Carey, Bob Hank
FF: George Doig, Ken Farmer, Mark Ricciuto
R: John Nicholls, Haydn Bunton Sr, Bob Rose

INT: Tom Leahy, Mark Tandy, Robert Harvey, Stephen Michael

EME: Matthew Pavlich

c4v3m4n

AFEV

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :'(

One of my favourite players :-[

AFEV

Nothing I can do about it though.
Ross Glendinning for me.
No time for the write-up.

Boomz

Pretty sure it's a double pick ;) So when you get back you can still get the guy you wanted :P

FisherSaints

c4v3m4n

Quote from: FisherSaints on November 19, 2011, 01:28:35 PM
How much longer does this go for

Almost finished FS. Only 12 more players to be picked, 2 more each, then its all over.

AFEV

Oh right. Messed up there. Sorry everyone :-[

Was going to pick a midfielder but decided I should get somebody to support Thompson...

Roy Wright.

• Brownlow Medal (1952, 1954)
• Richmond Best & Fairest (1951, 1952, 1954, 1957)
• Richmond Captain (1958-59)
• All Australian (1956)
• Victorian Representative (18 appearances)
• AFL Hall of Fame
• Richmond Hall of Fame
• Richmond Team of the Century

QuoteDespite managing just 21 senior games in his first four seasons with Richmond, Roy Wright ultimately developed into one of the all time greats of the game, with two Brownlow Medals, and numerous other awards and accolades, to his credit.  He always used his formidable 102kg weight with consummate fairness, but with ever increasing effectiveness as well.

FB: Reg Hickey, Stephen Silvagni, Tom Mackenzie
HB: Kevin Murray, Albert Collier, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, Lindsay Head, Robert Flower
HF: Michael Voss, Royce Hart, Darren Jarman
FF: Laurie Nash, Peter Hudson, Peter Daicos
FOLL: Len Thompson, Dick Reynolds, Chris Judd

I/C: Harold Oliver, John Coleman, Steve Marsh, Roy Wright

EMG: Matthew Richardson, Ross Glendinning, _______