Main Menu

2012 Ladder

Started by maanco, October 22, 2011, 12:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Should've quoted the ladder! A rookie mistake ;)

RiOtChEsS

history says the 8 sides havnt remained the same in consecutive years for quite some time...

id expect to be surprised by one or two sides and let down by a couple also :-X

Voldemort

Quote from: Marcz on November 05, 2011, 12:08:41 PM
history says the 8 sides havnt remained the same in consecutive years for quite some time...

Sydney cant stay in the eight. They just dont have the firepower anymore. Saints are gonna fall out of the eight too. The two new ones in the 8 should be Freo and North

TheMailman

Quote from: Voldemort on November 05, 2011, 04:31:27 PM

Sydney cant stay in the eight. They just dont have the firepower anymore. Saints are gonna fall out of the eight too. The two new ones in the 8 should be Freo and North

I'm not really sure about Sydney losing firepower?       
If anything the inclusion of Walsh and Morton along with further experience of Sam Reid/Jesse White/Trent Dennis-Lane would only increase firepower.

Sydney seem to always prove critics wrong about their finals hopes and they looked better than ever at the end of the season.

What makes you think this coming season would be different?

Saints on the other hand......

Voldemort

Quote from: TheMailman on November 05, 2011, 06:44:43 PM

If anything the inclusion of Walsh and Morton along with further experience of Sam Reid/Jesse White/Trent Dennis-Lane would only increase firepower.

Sydney seem to always prove critics wrong about their finals hopes and they looked better than ever at the end of the season.

Yes, yes. It's a Swans supporter. Naturally biased, understandable  ;)  8)  ;D

TheMailman

Quote from: Voldemort on November 05, 2011, 07:06:15 PM

As naturally biased as I am my question still remains

What would make the coming season one that Sydney doesn't make the 8?
If anything I think we could improve seeing as St Kilda is heading down

Voldemort

Quote from: TheMailman on November 05, 2011, 07:13:53 PM
Quote from: Voldemort on November 05, 2011, 07:06:15 PM

As naturally biased as I am my question still remains

What would make the coming season one that Sydney doesn't make the 8?
If anything I think we could improve seeing as St Kilda is heading down

except for Goodes (who is ageing) you dont seem to have another player who can grab the game by the balls and change it. Jack and Hannebery might, but not many atm. If you look at the top 4, their mids, forwards and backs all have players that can change a game, right now Sydney dont have many. They might cling on to 8, but I dont know.

Ziplock

yeah... aging goodes..

who still had his best DT year, and second best sc one after the age of 30 :P

don't write him off. He'll carry the swans.

Voldemort

Quote from: Ziplock on November 05, 2011, 07:38:26 PM
yeah... aging goodes..

who still had his best DT year, and second best sc one after the age of 30 :P

don't write him off. He'll carry the swans.

I'm not, but it will catch up with him is all I'm saying  ::)

TheMailman

Isn't firepower different to X-factor?

Regardless, you'll find that the Swans best games are not when goodes takes 15 marks and has 38-9 possesions but ones where the disposals and goals are spread very evenly.

That's the whole reason I believe they beat the Cats and almost beat the Pies this year.

Ringo

I personally reckon Positions 5 - 10 will be made up of any of 8 to 9 teams and depending which team is on their game.

For the Swans if Grundy and O'Keeffe recapture their 2010 form it will also help the cause. Do not forget Jude Bolton either.

TheMailman

Quote from: Ringo on November 05, 2011, 08:57:52 PM
I personally reckon Positions 5 - 10 will be made up of any of 8 to 9 teams and depending which team is on their game.

For the Swans if Grundy and O'Keeffe recapture their 2010 form it will also help the cause. Do not forget Jude Bolton either.
That is exactly what I wanted to say  ::)
Any of Fremantle, NM, Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide, St. Kilda, WB, WC and even Brisbane could make up the positions 5-8 on the ladder.

Hopefully Sydney does the best though  ;D

Centurions

Brisbane will finish 10-13 and definitely higher than Gold Coast.

Bluke

Quote from: Cicjose on October 22, 2011, 03:35:30 PM
why does everyone think the eagles are top 4?

they fluked it this year

Cic, I direct you to the comments I made in the WCE forum.

QuoteTop Four!

Games:
200+ : 3 Players Glass/Cox/Embley
150+ : 3 Players Lynch/Kerr/Selwood
100+ : 4 Players Nicoski/Rosa/Priddis/Lecras
50+ : 10 Players Hurn/Waters/Kennedy/Butler/Selwood/Hill/Schofield/MacKenzie/Naitainui/Masten
20+ : 8 PlayersSheppard/Darling/Dalziell/Smith/Swift/Shuey/Brown/McGinnity

Of those ten 50+ players, Hurn, Waters, Kennedy, Butler, Selwood and Naitanui are certain starters in every team in the comp. MacKenzie and Schofield had career best seasons last year and we can expect more improvement this year. Hill is a wait and see prospect, but I can see him fitting in well in the wide open spaces of subi, filling the position Ebert vacated on the flank. Masten also showed vast improvement at the end of the season. Maybe he has finally turned the corner? Im not holding my breath, but I can hope.

Then consider players under 50 games like McGinnity, Brown, Shuey, Smith, Sheppard, Darling and Gaff and there is a helluva lot of pressure on players for spots.

Carlton's Spread:
200+ : 2 Players Judd/Scotland
150+ : 2 Players Thornton/Simpsion
100+ : 7 Players Betts/Waite/Carrazzo/Walkers/Murphy/Gibbs/Russell/McLean
50+ : 7 Players Warnock/Garlett/Joseph/Armfield/Bower/Kreuser/Jamison
20+ : 4 Players Laidler/Duigan/Collins/Ellard

Carlton overtake us in terms of development?? I think not! They have a gun midfield no doubt! But until they sort out their spine they haven't a chance of challanging for a premiership. Furthermore, its clear from the above spread of experience that most of Carlton's players hit the pinacle of their performance this season/next season. While there is still some improvement left in the team, I would wager there is much more improvement left in the Eagles. Which can expect massive improvement to come in the midfield, defense and forward line from players like Schofield, MacKenzie, Brown, Smith, Shuey, Gaff, Selwood, Kennedy and Darling. Add Naitanui to that mix and the Eagles look scary.

Also compare the 6 players over 150 games versus the 4 from carlton.

Obviously Judd is a freak and Simpson and Scotland are exceptionnally experienced and reliable players. However, All 6 of West Coast's players are premiership players, Lynch arguably had the best season of his career, Cox is the best ruckmen of the 2000s Glass was AA fullback, we all know how skillful Kerr is when fit and Embley would have been AA wingman if it was picked based on positions. Then add Selwood, arguably the best defensive tagger in the comp and I think we outgun Carlton not just in youth, but experience as well. Once the Eagles midflield improves a bit more, they wont stand a chance.

Apparantly Darling has been hitting the gym big time in the off season. Can't wait to see the big unit in the NAB cup.

I'll be dissapointed with anything lower then 6th next season. Also West Coast can beat every team in the comp at Subi, and they challanged everyone except Collingwood away. Given the number of players starting to peak around 50+ games, you have to expect them to improve more.

my 2cents.

Bluke

Here is my ladder

Collingwood (Premiers)
Hawthorn
Geelong
West Coast

Carlton
Fremantle
Essendon
Sydney

Saint Kilda