PANIC! - The Byes ARE back for 2012

Started by ossie85, October 19, 2011, 03:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torpedo10

The reason this has happened is because the players want more rest. It's going to be hard to get around. I think the only way is head to head mathes have to go ahead for one of the three byes. :( I guess we will just have to live with it.

PowerBug

Quote from: Torpedo10 on October 19, 2011, 05:09:51 PM
The reason this has happened is because the players want more rest. It's going to be hard to get around. I think the only way is head to head mathes have to go ahead for one of the three byes. :( I guess we will just have to live with it.
I think you'll find the rest is the same as it was 2 years ago ;)

Cruiseon

I do like the fact that SC & DT again starts in round 1 though. Those first three rounds used to hurt like hell waiting, waiting, waiting.

It's definately fairer that all clubs get a rest around the same time of year. So mindless that GWS had a bye in round one last year, just when their young bodies needed it. I also wasn't overly excited seeing Geelong get the bye in round 21 just to freshen up for the finals.

McRooster

Quote from: Cruiseon on October 19, 2011, 06:54:26 PM

I do like the fact that SC & DT again starts in round 1 though. Those first three rounds used to hurt like hell waiting, waiting, waiting.

It's definately fairer that all clubs get a rest around the same time of year. So mindless that Gold Coast had a bye in round one last year, just when their young bodies needed it. I also wasn't overly excited seeing Geelong get the bye in round 21 just to freshen up for the finals.
Fixed that for you Cruise  ;)

I also agree with what you said.

Spite

Does this mean we will get 3 bench slots again then?

Surely with 6 teams out per round for 3 rounds, 2 bench spots just won't cut it.

Oh ho. Here we go agaiiiinnnnnn!!!!!!!

Maca24

No big deal. SC will most likely just have 16 teams, with Rounds 11, 12 and 13 league byes?

Cruiseon

Quote from: McRooster on October 19, 2011, 07:49:01 PM
Quote from: Cruiseon on October 19, 2011, 06:54:26 PM

It's definately fairer that all clubs get a rest around the same time of year. So mindless that Gold Coast had a bye in round one last year, just when their young bodies needed it. I also wasn't overly excited seeing Geelong get the bye in round 21 just to freshen up for the finals.
Fixed that for you Cruise  ;)

I also agree with what you said.

Thanks on both fronts Roost.

pothead

Quote from: Maca24 on October 19, 2011, 09:07:22 PM
No big deal. SC will most likely just have 16 teams, with Rounds 11, 12 and 13 league byes?
i hope it does, that will be hell with 6 teams with the bye each of those rounds

Cicjose

the afl has crossed the final frontier now as the game has become too soft

Ziplock

I've seen a couple of suggestions which could work to fix this. My favourite one is basically this:

In the multi bye rounds, you basically get a free trade period, where you ca ntrade away any player who has a bye that round without it counting towards your trade score, but still limited depending on how much money you have in the bank. Then at the end of the round, all your trades are reverted and your money is returned.

It sounds dodgy, but, with a 18 person league, I think that's the best option.

It's either that or make DT GF on the first week of actual AFL finals. Which wouldn't be too bad- would certainly stop people sweating over players being rested in the DT GF.

Holz

Quote from: Ziplock on October 20, 2011, 05:35:18 AM
I've seen a couple of suggestions which could work to fix this. My favourite one is basically this:

In the multi bye rounds, you basically get a free trade period, where you ca ntrade away any player who has a bye that round without it counting towards your trade score, but still limited depending on how much money you have in the bank. Then at the end of the round, all your trades are reverted and your money is returned.

It sounds dodgy, but, with a 18 person league, I think that's the best option.

It's either that or make DT GF on the first week of actual AFL finals. Which wouldn't be too bad- would certainly stop people sweating over players being rested in the DT GF.

i like your idea, the league thing is easy to sort out but if you go for overall you will need to work your whole season around these 3 weeks. The idea would solve both the league and overall issue.

Wouldn't it be great if during the byes the gun teams play GWS, i can imagine trading in a whole bunch of collingwood guys for the massacre walking away with 800 from 6 than getting all your guns back the week after.

PowerBug

Maybe we can just work around it. But i think that's impossible to do, as if you only have 4 players missing from the first 2 weeks, you'll have 22 missing the next, people will cop zero's.

I suppose we have to wait for the fixture to come out first, then see what is needed for fantasy football.

m0nty

Interesting idea. Though it would make teams even more similar as everyone who was in contention for fantasy finals would drop players from the teams not in contention for AFL finals.

There is only one solution that will solve all the problems: UNLIMITED TRADES. You know it makes sense.  :-X

PowerBug

Quote from: m0nty on October 20, 2011, 04:45:43 PM

Interesting idea. Though it would make teams even more similar as everyone who was in contention for fantasy finals would drop players from the teams not in contention for AFL finals.

There is only one solution that will solve all the problems: UNLIMITED TRADES. You know it makes sense.  :-X
No!!! Not unlimited trades. It takes out all the skill, if there ever was any. :D

newfreofan

I agree it will be likely they'll have 16 teams with the 3 league byes in those rounds. I mean if they move DT and SC leagues to 18 teams to match the AFL it'll screw up the top 8 / bottom 8 finals system they have. Move along people, nothing to see here...