PANIC! - The Byes ARE back for 2012

Started by ossie85, October 19, 2011, 03:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-grand-final-to-be-played-in-september-in-2012/story-e6frf9jf-1226170679669

QuoteEach team will have one week off during the season, with the rest coming from Rounds 11-13 which will each feature six matches, and six teams with a bye.

Just when you thought the madness will end!!

This is going to be hell for fantasy footballers.

bridge777

hopefully that will be when DT leagues have a bye

ossie85

Quote from: bridge777 on October 19, 2011, 03:41:34 PM
hopefully that will be when DT leagues have a bye

I've been told there will be 18 teams. So, that means only 1 bye.... Not 3.

truBLUE

NOT again ,cant they keep it simple

ossie85

Maybe with this announcement they'll go back to 16 team leagues? Bridge is right, it would make it far more simpler

PowerBug

Yipee!! Another twist in the fixture. I like it :)

c4v3m4n

Quote from: ossie85 on October 19, 2011, 03:38:42 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-grand-final-to-be-played-in-september-in-2012/story-e6frf9jf-1226170679669

QuoteEach team will have one week off during the season, with the rest coming from Rounds 11-13 which will each feature six matches, and six teams with a bye.

Just when you thought the madness will end!!

This is going to be hell for fantasy footballers.

:-\ So does that mean each team gets two rounds off in total?

PowerBug

No. 6 teams off in Round 11, another 6 in Round 12, and the final 6 in round 13. ;)

truBLUE

Just no respect for DT/SC teams ,shame  :P

m0nty

Kinda screws the league set up, doesn't it? If you have 18 teams you need 17 rounds, plus four finals... but there will only be 20 bye-less rounds. Yay AFL. :(

simma1978

No need to panic at all. When there are byes there will most likely no head to head matches.

PowerBug

Quote from: simma1978 on October 19, 2011, 04:03:23 PM
No need to panic at all. When there are byes there will most likely no head to head matches.
But it's unavoidable though, as m0nty said. It'll be tough but we'll do it :)

ossie85

Quote from: m0nty on October 19, 2011, 04:00:05 PM
Kinda screws the league set up, doesn't it? If you have 18 teams you need 17 rounds, plus four finals... but there will only be 20 bye-less rounds. Yay AFL. :(

I suppose it is still possible to get around it.

If Round 11 has the first 6 matches, but then the next 3 matches of Round 12 are entirely unique teams (i.e. didn't play in Round 11...) You could have a 'partial' lock-out that covers Rounds 11 and 12?

So you'd have....

Fantasy Rounds 1 to 10 = AFL Rounds 1-10
Fantasy Round 11 = AFL Round 11 + 3 matches of Round 12
Fantasy Bye = Rest of AFL Round 12
Fantasy Bye = AFL Round 13
Fantasy Rounds 12-17 = AFL Rounds 14-19
Fantasy Finals = AFL Rounds 20-23

? Does that work?

Bazinga

Why didn't the AFL do the logical thing and just have one round go for two weeks??

EG: in round 12, there could be 10 teams (5 matches) play in week 1, and the other 8 teams play in week 2. That way all teams still get to have a bye and there would only need to be a partial lockout for that round.

I honestly thought that this would be what the AFL would do, as fantasy footy is starting to generate a lot of income for the industry through sponsorship and advertising.

Seems logical to me   ???

Ringo

If the AFL go this way Simple Solution will be no FF for rounds 11,12 & 13 Bye Rounds.

That way Integrity of competion is respected for overall.  lThere is merit in Ossies suggestion and it is workable for Round 11 & 12 with the three games to be nominated for round 12 prior to Round 11 with Captains and Vice Captain lock out at start but partial lock out on players for Round 12. Should be able to identify three games early to apply.

Will wait to see draw as my mathematical brain fails to see how this can be accomplished and still have a fair draw but I suppose we do not have a fair draw as it is.  Another interesting paragraph in the announcement is all teams to travel interstate at least 5 times!!