Main Menu

Toovs exit?

Started by 8-6 Suited, October 07, 2011, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-6 Suited

Read in the paper today that Toovs is being greedy wanting more money when everyone else is taing pay cuts to play in the team... Potential trade coming up to Perth looming?

ossie85

Seriously?!?

As much as I love Toovs, he has a very specific role, and doesn't really demand a pay rise...

8-6 Suited

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/return-to-wa-a-possibility-for-collingwood-premiership-defender-alan-toovey/story-e6frf9io-1226160792679

As you said, he doesn't really demand a pay rise for what he does nor should he get one. I could really careless if we trade him having him grab for money, even though I do like Toovs. When the rest of the team are taking less money for themselves to stay together, this sort of thing is pretty poor form.

Cruiseon

This is one of the problems that good sides have keeping their players particularly those around 18-25 in your list happy when they perceive they can get much more money elsewhere. Makes it tougher when you have a GWS waving money around.

He would be a loss, mainly because I am not convinced our depth is as strong as it has been previously. Is he essential? Probably not but one would prefer he stayed.

DG

not sure its fair singling toovey out, pretty sure we arent going to have a NAB cup as they all want a pay rise.

8-6 Suited

Quote from: DG on October 07, 2011, 11:09:38 AM
not sure its fair singling toovey out, pretty sure we arent going to have a NAB cup as they all want a pay rise.

I think you are missing the point. I'm singling Toovs out because unlike the rest of the Pies players who have signed this season to lower deals, he is asking for a bigger one from the club or he's going to nominate for the draft. Pretty low when everyone else is on below what they are worth to keep the stars and the club together.

DG

fair enough, but id be surprised if most of the rest of the team have taken pay cuts to keep the team together. happy to be proved wrong though.

dont get me wrong, players chasing money annoys me too, but the way that players (and coaches for that matter) switch and change and break contracts etc, i think toovey's is at the lower end of the 'loyalty' scale. i do think he'll end up staying though.

ossie85

In fairness, Toovs would be on considerably less pay than Swan, Daisy, Pendles, Cloke and co.

But, that's because those players are much better than him....

valkorum

Quote from: ossie85 on October 07, 2011, 11:50:21 AM

In fairness, Toovs would be on considerably less pay than Swan, Daisy, Pendles, Cloke and co.

But, that's because those players are much better than him....

But it's still ok for them to ask for a pay rise and Toovey is not allowed to.  Pfft

Cruiseon

But guys like Thomas and Pendles have accepted around about half of what they could get on the open market albeit on short contracts. Toovey is asking for what he thinks he is worth on the open market which is a different kettle of fish.

There could be some wheeling and dealing after all for Bucks and the team.

Master Q

I don't think you can blame him for wanting a pay rise. It's different if you move clubs purely for money. But he's not, he's moving because Collingwood are moving backwards  ;)

8-6 Suited

Quote from: Master Q on October 07, 2011, 12:53:48 PM
I don't think you can blame him for wanting a pay rise. It's different if you move clubs purely for money. But he's not, he's moving because Collingwood are moving backwards  ;)

If you honestly believe that, you are thicker than ever thought at any stage Q. :P

valkorum

Quote from: Cruiseon on October 07, 2011, 12:41:38 PM

But guys like Thomas and Pendles have accepted around about half of what they could get on the open market albeit on short contracts. Toovey is asking for what he thinks he is worth on the open market which is a different kettle of fish.

There could be some wheeling and dealing after all for Bucks and the team.

Thomas and Pendles are getting what they would get at any normal club (top end).  The open market is highly inflated at the moment because of GC and GWS.  So I will say again, its ok for Pendles, Thomas and Swan to ask for more money but not Toovey

Master Q

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on October 07, 2011, 12:58:22 PM
Quote from: Master Q on October 07, 2011, 12:53:48 PM

If you honestly believe that, you are thicker than ever thought at any stage Q. :P
Haha  ;D

Cruiseon

Fair call Q - it's a bit like Grigg going to Richmond to a club on the rise rather than one which talks it up every year and fails to deliver anything.  ;)