c4's 2012 Bargains: Lenny Hayes

Started by c4v3m4n, October 03, 2011, 09:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you be selecting Lenny Hayes in 2012?

Locked and loaded.
10 (20%)
He's on the shortlist.
20 (40%)
Jeez, it's a 50/50 call.
10 (20%)
Very unlikely for me.
3 (6%)
No, too risky.
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 7

c4v3m4n

I thought it'd be interesting if I brought the bargains and left-field choices to the table... ;)

First off is one of the biggest bargains for season 2012...Lenny Hayes.

Lenny Hayes

Statistics

2011 Games: 2
2011 Total Score: 173
2011 Average: 86.5
2011 High: 124
2011 Low: 49 (was subbed off in Q3 with ACL injury)
2011 Price: $503,500

2010 Games: 21
2010 Total Score: 2173
2010 Average: 103.5
2010 High: 167
2010 Low: 62
2010 Standard Deviation: 24.17
2010 Centuries: 11 out of 21 (17 out of 21 were over 90+)
2010 Starting Price: $629,800 (was also highest price)
2010 Lowest Price: $468,700 (Round 17)

Summary

Unfortunately Lenny Hayes ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) during the Round 2 game against Richmond earlier this year; which ruled him out for the entire 2011 season. Prior to his injury, he did register a score of 124 against Geelong in Round 1. Not much to take away from season 2011...

However, we all know that Lenny Hayes is a prolific ball winner...he's averaged more than 24 possessions a game since 2003! His kicking and handballing efficiency has slipped in recent years, but is still considerably high at 71% (2010).

Also for reference, in 2010, he ranked 2nd in the competition for disposals per minute, was 2nd in overall tackles, 6th in the number of clearances and 8th in centre clearances. Big ticks in the SuperCoach box.

The Crystal Ball

According to m0nty's Fanplanner he is priced at $459,500. This is however NOT taken into account the discount he will most likely receive.

Since he only played 2 games last season, he is eligible for a 20% discount, which will take his price to a handsome $367,600.

Decision

Lenny Hayes will 32 next season, he hasn't played for several months, and ACL's are tough to come back from.

But at that price, it's hard not to lock him in already.

IMO, watch his pre-season before committing to the champion midfielder.

Thoughts?

Have you already locked Lenny Hayes in for 2012? Or are his best days behind him thanks to the ACL injury?

pyronerd

On the shortlist for me, would like to see how he goes in the pre-season first

Torpedo10

I think it is a 50/50 call. I'm questioning his age and coming back from an ACL. His price is tempting but if he falls and averages  less than 80 we would have to waste one or two trades later in the season when we need to use trades carefully. If it works out he could be averaging more than 105. I'm not going to take a risk on him.

meow meow

@ 367K he is locked for me. His body wouldn't have shrunk, and he wins points by winning contested footy. Has never been super quick so the knee won't be an issue. He'll have a full preseason into him, as he knee is almost good to go right now. I doubt Armitage will keep him out of his rightful position as number 1 inside mid at the Saints either, so he'll have opportunites galore.

roo boys!

Locked and Loaded, he's a pure champion. One of my favourite players in the AFL.

ossie85

Quote from: roo boys! on October 05, 2011, 12:40:20 PM
Locked and Loaded, he's a pure champion. One of my favourite players in the AFL.

Too old :(

roo boys!

He may be old, but I still think he has it in him.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: ossie85 on October 05, 2011, 12:50:24 PM
Quote from: roo boys! on October 05, 2011, 12:40:20 PM

Too old :(

People keep saying the same things about Dustin Fletcher, yet he still manages to impress each and every week.  8)

Torpedo10

@ossie85. People said the same thing about Geelong at the start of the year. Geelong now hold the premiership cup for 2011.

ossie85

Quote from: Torpedo10 on October 05, 2011, 02:38:51 PM
@ossie85. People said the same thing about Geelong at the start of the year. Geelong now hold the premiership cup for 2011.

:(

I love Lenny. One of my favourite players. But I just don't think he is going to get up easily to his 100+ best.

Whoever the Saints new coach might be could start pushing him out in favour of youngsters.

pothead

i will definitely be thinknig about him but am just not sure how well he will go after the injury and whether he will get back to his old best

Cruiseon

I love Lenny, had him in my side in 2011 as a bit of a unique and when his knee went I felt the pain. I would take the risk on Lenny in 2012 if he has a proper pre-season except for the fact I rarely believe in having mid-tiered midfielders.

If he was a defender or forward it would be a no brainer but in the mids I like to have either Premiums (alas at 32 Lenny can no longer be compared to Ablett, Swan, Judd, Pendles etc) or rookies who traditionally provide good value in the mids.

I'll be watching him closely & either way hoping he comes back strongly.

Holz

If he gets the proper discount he is a lock if not i probably wont pick him up. I don't see stkilda pulling a gellong next year. Gellong is a champion team stkilda have just been a good team over the last few years. It all depends on the new coach, im tossing up between not starting with any stkilda players or loading up with hayes, montagna,goddard and voldt.

Voldemort

how can 6 people vote too risky? He's never had huge injuries except for this year .... locked and loaded for me

ossie85

Quote from: Voldemort on October 27, 2011, 12:10:26 PM
how can 6 people vote too risky? He's never had huge injuries except for this year .... locked and loaded for me

30+ year old midfielders returning from a knee injury? Yeah, too risky for me!