WTF Is With The Name....
8 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Justin Bieber

Name: Chad Wingard
Position: Outside Midfielder
Height: 181cm
Weight: 73kg

Well as it's hard to find any decent stats for Wingard (who plays for Sturt in the SANFL anybody who wants to read up on him), I'll stick to the description this time around. Wingard is arguably the most complete midfielder in the draft and is near certain to go in the first 6 picks depending on how teams play it. He has some Scott Pendlebury/Marc Murphy about him with the way he goes about his footy. He has one of the best kicks in the draft not to mention his ability to gain plenty of clearances. Wingard seems to be in the top few Outside Midfielders in the draft and with his kick, he'll certainly get alot of the ball coming his way even if he is a rookie. He's quite the athletic as well with his speed and jump pretty decent. He captained South Australia in the U18 Carnival where he was named in The AA U18 team to cap off his great season.

Wingard also has the ability to move up forward and play on the flank and kick goals. He can play more than just midfield which can certainly work in his favor come time for the draft and choosing a fantasy team ;). Despite only being 73kg he has shown many times he will put his body on the lin at any cost. He has the heart of a True AFL player, not fearing away from the ball and his attitude on field has the ability to lift teammates around him.

Fantasy Relevant? For me, Absolutely! He could very well be the best player to come out of this draft, better than Patton and Coniglio. The way he plays his game has me tempted and his talent is undeniable. I'd certainly be considering him for a starting midfield spot as he's likely to go early, meaning he'll end up at either GWS, Suns or Port. He won't slip past Port (#6) I can gurantee you that. He was touted as a top 3 pick but the emergence of other great players (Tyson, Buntine and Longer) may see him pushed down to #6. I wouldn't mind that as we all know Port need some help in the midfield BAD. Wingard is a South Australian so don't think he'd mind staying in SA even if it is with Port :P. I hope he'll slip down to them although they'll be EXTREMELY lucky if he does.

MajorLazer

roo boys!

With the review you've given him, I have to pick him up! ;)

j959

definite SC rookie consideration from what i've read of his kicking skills also ...

Ringo

Again good work HP.  Just a question do you have access to the stats and data from the NEAFL the 2nd Tier for QLD, NT, NSW and ACT. There were a couple of good prospects that looked good in the Northern Conference Final. A Standout was an 18 year old Peter Yagmoor a back man who continually put the ball onto the chest of team mates. Good kicking skills which are required in todays game.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Ringo on September 26, 2011, 06:07:06 PM
Again good work HP.  Just a question do you have access to the stats and data from the NEAFL the 2nd Tier for QLD, NT, NSW and ACT. There were a couple of good prospects that looked good in the Northern Conference Final. A Standout was an 18 year old Peter Yagmoor a back man who continually put the ball onto the chest of team mates. Good kicking skills which are required in todays game.
Sadly it's hard to find stats on some leagues. I was lucky with Congilio but will see if I can find some stats for interstate leagues a bit later. There is talent around the country (Especially if we look at some 17 y.o's this season who can nominate next year), so hopefully can find some good sites for the League stats.

Justin Bieber

For NEAFL stats, can only find good stats for Goalkicking but nothing much else at the following:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-8334-0-153926-0&a=STATS&sgroup=possessions
http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-8334-0-153927-0&a=STATS&sgroup=possessions (Yagmoor in here but says he's already playing for Suns early in the year).

WAFL Stats (all players though) at http://www.wafl.com.au/rankings

Can't find anything on SANFL although there are stats if people don't mind going through each individual match/round:
http://www.sanfl.com.au/league/statistics/2011_league_statistics/

Ringo

Thanks HP That is interesting because he was definitely playing for Morningside in the Final so whether Suns released him do not know.   Went out and had a look as it was just down the road. He was the one that took my eye in a badly beaten side.  Northern Thunder have quite a few looking prospects as well.,

Justin Bieber

In Vic we rarely get any news on other state leagues and all :(. The media is basically solely focused on Victorian matters instead of interstate unless it's GWS (because they are poaching players). Have to only go over the stats that I can find on the net which is sometimes hard to come by.

Maca24

I'll strongly consider Wingard, but unsure whether I could fit both him and Dom Tyson in my team!
Think one of these guys will go to Gold Coast, and that might decide for me..

j959

Quote from: Maca24 on October 02, 2011, 04:36:07 PM
I'll strongly consider Wingard, but unsure whether I could fit both him and Dom Tyson in my team!
Think one of these guys will go to Gold Coast, and that might decide for me..
I might just be second guessing but I saw this photo ...

from afl.com.au and he looks a bit scrawny - I know you've mentioned his toughness in the profile HP but is he really going to be durable enough??

I had similar doubts about Polec this year and shied away which was good ... just wondering if it might be similar for Wingard?  :-\

Justin Bieber

If I may quote myself here:
Quote from: Hellopplz on September 24, 2011, 11:57:01 PM
Despite only being 73kg he has shown many times he will put his body on the lin at any cost. He has the heart of a True AFL player, not fearing away from the ball and his attitude on field has the ability to lift teammates around him.

Although he is pretty slim for an AFL player, he's a tough player. The only problem that I can see about him is apparently he gets concussed alot! Blame his frame but that won't stop him going in, head over the ball. This attitude he has should make him durable enough as he isn't afraid of getting in and under. Only downside is he may get a concussion or two during the season :P. His durability could be in question although be hearing he's been hitting the gym to bulk up a bit.

Saying this, if he plays as an outside midfielder, his kicking ability makes him a tasty prospect for SC. But his contested footy helps a bit as well in SC.

Might need to update some of my profiles after a bit. Wingard expected to go to GWS which will have alot of quality young midfielders. Shame he probably won't slip to 6 for Port, who would have gladly snapped him up if he had fell. Only chance is if GWS go after say Buntine/HE-Man so Wingard has a chance to slide.

Maca24

With the rumour that he could drop to pick 6, I am very keen.
I will definitely get him if he doesn't get snagged by GWS.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Maca24 on November 04, 2011, 06:55:21 PM
With the rumour that he could drop to pick 6, I am very keen.
I will definitely get him if he doesn't get snagged by GWS.
It's a rumour, although GWS would be crazy to let him fall! I wish he did fall to Port as would many other Fantasy coaches would want the same ;). Lets hope GWS don't need another midfielder early as many are pencilling in Tyson & Wingard at 3 and 4 :(.

Maca24

If GWS take Tyson, Wingard and Hoskin-Elliot then that destroys my year of fantasy haha.