8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Justin Bieber

Name: Stephen Coniglio
Position: Inside Midfielder
Age (by draft day): 17
Height: 182cm
Weight: 76kg

Coniglio has probably been the most talked about draft prospect this season, mainly because he was yet to decide between AFL and Cricket. Luckily for us, he chose AFL 8). But why so much fuss over him? Well he managed to win the Larke Medal as the best player in Division One of the 2011 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships playing as the Captain of Western Australia. He is probably in the top tier of players in this draft which is why he'll most likely go in the top 2 to GWS.

As a midfielder, he gains plenty of Clearances and Tackles with his inside work. Not only that but he has some speed in his legs to break away from the pack which makes him quite a midfielder to help build a team around for the future. As shown by his Larke Medal, Coniglio has the potential to be a future captain for his club with his leadership qualities as well as his on-field workrate through his solid endurance. He has played 6 games for Swans District in the WAFL this season (U18 duties took him away for quite a while) in which he managed to average over 18 disposals a game. He does have a tendency to give away free kicks but manages to balance it out with free kicks for. Not to mention his ability to play Half Forward flank, setting up goals for teammates. He may not kick alot of goals regularly but he can kick goals and attack if forward. Although wouldn't expect too much of him goal-scoring wise in his first season.

Fantasy Relevant? I'd like to think he is a very capable player. He'll more than likely turn out into a David Swallow type scorer first season, a solid scorer in his first season. Swallow had Ablett while Coniglio has a few more midfielders around him to help him out which makes me think he could go for a little more. His ability to play forward flank is tempting as who doesn't like a midfielder who can push up for some goals here and there, especially if GWS need attacking players (More than likely to go to GWS). Yet being a top 3 pick (99.8% certain) will mean he comes with a little more hefty price tag. This price tag will make me question him especially with the midfield this talent this season where you could save anywhere from 20-50k on the downgrade from Coniglio. No doubt he has talent but if he goes to GWS, I think Dylan Shiels or Adam Treloar could be just as tempting at a lower price.

Master Q

maanco

another good article HP but, you dont have me convinced yet :)

Justin Bieber

Quote from: maanco on September 24, 2011, 08:07:58 PM
another good article HP but, you dont have me convinced yet :)
Nor am I fully convinced even with his hype. I have other midfielders in mind over him for price effectiveness (hopefully). Still, he should be very popular fantasy pick nonetheless due to be a high draft pick :P.

bundyboy

will certainly be a very popular pick, and probably give good service too ..

but...is he worth  $30-40k more than others who are likely to score about the same...

maybe?  but not quite sure yet....

browny_wce

Stevo has a knee injury and is sitting out the running parts of the draft

might help him to slip past GWS's grasp and lower the price of this gun
....come to WCE buddy

j959

Quote from: browny_wce on October 04, 2011, 09:13:45 PM
Stevo has a knee injury and is sitting out the running parts of the draft COMBINE

might help him to slip past GWS's grasp and lower the price of this gun
....come to WCE buddy
FIXED!  ;)
fix the topic subject title browny!!!   ;)

you'll have people thinking he's gone and pulled himself from the AFL draft again!!  :o    ;)

Torpedo10

As much as I hope he will drop GWS will probably pick him anyway. We all know he is a gun so even with his injury he is highly likely to got to GWS.

browny_wce

mate its the end of the season, be good to still have a few hearts racing

Torpedo10

L.Shuey13

You never know browny, with the Brad Ebert trade that is highly likely to happen with port, we may end up getting pick #6. If some other draftees stand out during the fitness/agility/whatever testing, coniglio may possibly slip to West Coast :D. Maybe I'm just too hopeful, but it is a possibility

Torpedo10

@ L.Shuey13. You are right about that. I doubt Port will give their No.6 pick.

Justin Bieber

Well a little injury won't stop him being picked, especially by GWS who have years before they start to challenge. It's highly unlikely but not a definite!

Kavanagh has been injured most of the year and is still expected to be going in the first round (some phantoms have him going top 10 despite this :o) so any injury now shouldn't see Coniglio drop too much, if at all! If he slips through to 4, got to think Suns will snap him up!

popedelio

Imagine it
Eagles trade Ebert and pick 23 for pick 6 from Port Adelaide hahahaha.
I'm dreaming and if they get Coniglio hahahaha life will be amazing on draft day hahaha

browny_wce

nearly as amazing as getting Darling at 25 haha