Main Menu

The Grand Final Thread

Started by Cruiseon, September 24, 2011, 06:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Jolly and Reid are far more important to the Pies structure than Stevie J is to Geelong.

Right call on Beams if true

PowerBug

If Jolly wasn't to play then Collingwood would be a tall man short, which should the weather stay wet, might be a good thing. But there is no way that Collingwood would drop Cloke/Dawes/Jolly because of weather. But eing forced to play the extra runner might be good. Although if Jolly doesn't play, Cam Wood will be his replacement.

Stevie J missing would be huge! Byrnes will have to come in and his form/game time has been limited.

bunyip

Don't agree. If Stevie j didn't play, I'd be tempted to play Dasha and put him on Heater as a defensive forward. That might stir the pot a bit. I'd play a few meters in front of heater so if he got the ball he would have to run around me. he would then have to kick from deep in the back half thereby nullifying his running game. And don't think for a second that Dasha is not up to it.

bunyip

Quote from: ossie85 on September 29, 2011, 06:09:53 AM

Reckon Cloke would be far superior to Pods in the wet. Cloke (and Dawes) IMO are much better on ground level, and can work up the ground.
Come ON ossie....Geeeeez. If it rains, Cloke and Dawes just become 2 more lumbering big men. If it pours down, and the forcast says it's possible, they'll be useless. They might as well set up a table at full forward and have a game of cards with Pods and Tommahawk.

Voldemort

rains during the GF would just be ---------  :o :-\

Cruiseon

For those not in Melbourne I can confirm it is not a matter of if the Grand Final is wet but simply how wet it will be. It remains floodlike conditions here, relentless ongoing heavy rain!

As you know I as not overly confident about the Pies chances of back to back but all this talk about the Pies big men being nullified in the rain reminded me of another thing from round 22. I recall being amazed during that thrashing of generally how superior in the air Geelong were to the Pies around the ground, particularly from the mid sized players.

If I'm looking for optimistic (and realistic) angles, there is the liklihood that this could be a skilless slog-fest and that can only bring the Pies back into it. Amazing to think that 6 weeks ago we were unbeatable and now I'm talking like this but I think it's true. Go the underdogs I say!

Windigo

Dayne Beams out.......Bit of a blow for him.

I really don't like this Fasolo bloke. I dunno why.

PowerBug

He's ethnic? Better not be the reason or you DIE!

Cruiseon

Quote from: PowerBug on September 29, 2011, 07:27:37 PM
He's ethnic? Better not be the reason or you DIE!

Talk about drawing a long bow.

pyronerd

Quote from: Windigo on September 29, 2011, 07:24:16 PM
Dayne Beams out.......Bit of a blow for him.

I really don't like this Fasolo bloke. I dunno why.
apparently a groin issue, I say it was just general crapness :P I think Fasolo over Beams is definitely the right decision

ossie85

Agree pyro. Though Fas will be sub I think

bomberboy0618

Geelong for me. However depends on the weather though.

Cruiseon

So here we are Grand Final eve, I was very suprised as I cycled through the streets of North Fitzroy and Fitzroy proper as to how little football fanfare there was on the residential and business properties. Everyone seems excited but the hype seems constrained, is this to do with Collingwood's expectations? I'm sure it's different down in Geelong.

Bunyip even our banter doesn't have the same electric buzz as before last year's prelim, are we all getting used to the big games?

bunyip

it does seem a bit more subdued this year. It may be because in our heart of hearts, we both know that we can lose this GF. I noticed yesterday that the Pies would pay over $2 for a win, thats outrageous, people have short memories. There's no way Geelong should be favs tomorrow.