Broughton 2012?

Started by grant17, September 16, 2011, 10:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatters24

Quote from: valkorum on December 19, 2011, 04:43:49 PM
Quote from: maccar86 on September 16, 2011, 02:29:54 PM
definite option. i think mark harvey is the only person in the football world who cannot see that broughton has much more value in the midfield than stuck in the back pocket.

also with palmer gone, maybe there is a spot open for him

Wrong. 

Broughton only has better DT value in the midfield - lets not confuse that with where he should play on the field

I thought Harvey was the only one who understand how important Broughton is in the back 6.  Broughton is an average to good midfielder but is elite as a shutdown defender on the smalls.  He has taken on Stevie J and beat him 1 on 1 on many occasions (as an example I can think of straight away).  2010 against Geelong when we won by a few points - the ball was kicked to Stevie J one out with Broughton and Broughts won the contest and brought the ball out both times.

His SC scores last year prove how important he is as a shutdown defender (ie back pocket)

Broughton only went in to the midfield last year because we had no other options.

Solid feedback Valk!! Who's still keen to pick him now?

valkorum

Quote from: chatters24 on December 20, 2011, 04:26:44 PM

In SC I think he is a lock.

Speculator

He is well and truly in my plans at this point

Barlow 21

Quote from: valkorum on December 20, 2011, 04:33:49 PM
Quote from: chatters24 on December 20, 2011, 04:26:44 PM

In SC I think he is a lock.
SC Yes, but a very risky pick for DT.

Fyfe_gun

Im on board but like others am worried about Harvey. I look at it this way. If Lee Spurr gets promoted off rookie list he will slot into back pocket and then Broughton will run in mids/half back. If Spurr doesn't get promtoed then Broughton will play pocket rocket role

DT Gun

Quote from: Cicjose on September 16, 2011, 08:06:24 PM
Quote from: maccar86 on September 16, 2011, 02:49:31 PM
cicjose only because he had that 5-6 week run when we was at 250k and had a low BE.

he was a rollercoaster who wasnt worth the money he ended up being.

so what you think that his scores tanked that was why he became the most expensive backman in the game.......

Dunno where your going with that stupid comment Maccar is absolutely right.
Your point makes absolutely no sence at all.... haha
You want a number to follow to compare one player to another, try average? bahahaha most expensive what a load of rubbish

chaosAD

Anyone think he could play midfield all year ? If so he might be worth giving a go, he burnt me last year is my only concern

itchytradefinger

Morabito's back, Barlow's right.  Not sure if Broughton will play midfield all year. If he did we'd all lock him in. Doubt I'll be taking him.

Colliwobblers

yeah agrred with barlow and co. I don't think broughton will be in the mids not to say he cant score well off hb but will he, still in any case it's not like he is super cheap

popedelio

I can see broughton improving easily to an average of 90+, and also being consistent.

STATS
2009-Avg:87.6 SD:29.5
2010-Avg:89.3 SD:18.9
2011-Avg:84.1 SD:30.45

Broughton had a bad year because of role changes from his first 2 seasons from fremantles ridiculously large injury list. We know when he plays midfield he tears it up, between rds 9-19 he averaged 106.5 a standard deviation of 28.84 with a high of 149 and a low of 46 in 2011.

Though in his first 2 seasons he was a rebounding defender, 2009, which was his rookie season, he performed quite well. Continuing onto his second year in 2010 he slightly increased his average but at a far more consistent rate.

Now I believe Broughton will be returning to his rebounding role, like in 2010, if Freo have a healthy list.
There most probable starting defenders are below:

FB:       Paul Duffield            Zac Dawson          Alex Silvagni
HB:      Greg Broughton       Luke McPharlin     Nick Suban

the 3 main KPD will be Dawson, Silvagni and McPharlin, and therefore my guess of him returning to his 2010 role of rebounding defender, who cheekily collects those +6s in defense.

Overall he is a lock 'n' load for me

Colliwobblers

So does spurr get a run in that back line? not sure now they have room for him?? You seem to know your FREO  :-\

newfreofan

Gut feeling is G-Bro will flourish under Lyon. He's in my team.

valkorum

Quote from: popedelio on December 28, 2011, 02:44:41 AM
Now I believe Broughton will be returning to his rebounding role, like in 2010, if Freo have a healthy list.

the 3 main KPD will be Dawson, Silvagni and McPharlin, and therefore my guess of him returning to his 2010 role of rebounding defender, who cheekily collects those +6s in defense.

Except that Duffield has been training for the "Quarterback" role.  Broughton I think will play the lockdown small defender role.  SC he is a lock, DT I am unsure.

popedelio

Quote from: valkorum on December 28, 2011, 02:51:56 PM
Quote from: popedelio on December 28, 2011, 02:44:41 AM

Except that Duffield has been training for the "Quarterback" role.  Broughton I think will play the lockdown small defender role.  SC he is a lock, DT I am unsure.
I know that you are a freo supporter and that you may know more then me, but weren't both duff and broughton rebounding in 2010, It was freos stellar year. In 2011 there whole list was injured, hence finishing in the bottom 8 and role changes for some of the remaining starters like broughton and duff. For Freo to return to a top 4 side, which i believe they will, they need a healthy list and return to the form they were playing in 2010, which hopefully returns broughton back to his role. Also Lyons implements a defensive strategy and likes to hold the ball, meaning cheap stats for defenders.

valkorum

Broughts does rebound out of 50 but he mainly plays on the dangerous small forward (Stevie J, Cyril, Milne, LeCras types)