Broughton 2012?

Started by grant17, September 16, 2011, 10:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grant17

How will being under a new coach in Ross Lyon effect broughtons scores this year? Will he get more midfield time ? Could he average 100 or more if he does?

penskifile

I got the same questions Grant. Only thing we can do is watch pre season, and see what role he will play.

maccar86

definite option. i think mark harvey is the only person in the football world who cannot see that broughton has much more value in the midfield than stuck in the back pocket.

also with palmer gone, maybe there is a spot open for him

Cicjose

everyone thinks he struggled this year yet by the end of the season he was the most expensive backman ahead of

Gibbs Enright and Goddard.....

dale93

Its going to be a intersting option to look at and with Palmer gone but Barlow and Mundy to back into the midfield lets just hope he changes from the Backlines to Midfield then will be a lock...at $350k why wouldnt u take the punt?

maccar86

cicjose only because he had that 5-6 week run when we was at 250k and had a low BE.

he was a rollercoaster who wasnt worth the money he ended up being.

jobeth2

Avoid like the plague how many freo players are honestly going to score over 100 sandi pav mundy barlow fyfe

There is usually only two or three 100's in a game so avoid taking him and many freo players i think max two players from the one club

Cicjose

Quote from: maccar86 on September 16, 2011, 02:49:31 PM
cicjose only because he had that 5-6 week run when we was at 250k and had a low BE.

he was a rollercoaster who wasnt worth the money he ended up being.

so what you think that his scores tanked that was why he became the most expensive backman in the game.......

maccar86

to be honest yes.

he was scoring 50's and 60's and dropped to like 250k

at that price his BE was super low and he had that run of 5-6 games where he scored big 100s (due to midfield time only)

and become super expensive.

but he was no way worth the money he ended up being worth when we couldnt break 60 on a regular basis

Grazz

Definitely a wait and see proposition. Im 60/40 against getting him at the minute. See what Lyon's does with him and where he lines up before i even begin to think about him.

thatguy

Lyon has already flagged a few position changes in a recent interview. will be interesting to see what they are

Grazz

Im hoping that Pav will spend more time up forward next year with Lyon at the helm and a healthy Freo squad, ive got a gut felling Lyon might want to turn Broughton into a Gilbert/Fisher type player, have heard a bit of chat in the media regarding that but he would have a few players to choose from for that roll and Freo supporters would have a better idea about that.

SydneyRox

I have heard Lyon or Pav say he was going to spend more time in the fwd line this year, so a midfield spot for broughts is not totally out the equation, i would be happier for DT to see him on the wandering round half back role, racking up the touches though... we will see

Matty411

Was burnt by him early last year only for him to then turn around and kill it in mid season... glad I didn't pick him back up tho coz he faded when it counted towards the end. His scores largely depend on his role.

It would take a very clear statement from Lyon that he will be in midfield for me to take him... but if his role does change... he could be the best defender in DT...

Wait and see proposition for me.

valkorum

Quote from: maccar86 on September 16, 2011, 02:29:54 PM
definite option. i think mark harvey is the only person in the football world who cannot see that broughton has much more value in the midfield than stuck in the back pocket.

also with palmer gone, maybe there is a spot open for him

Wrong. 

Broughton only has better DT value in the midfield - lets not confuse that with where he should play on the field

I thought Harvey was the only one who understand how important Broughton is in the back 6.  Broughton is an average to good midfielder but is elite as a shutdown defender on the smalls.  He has taken on Stevie J and beat him 1 on 1 on many occasions (as an example I can think of straight away).  2010 against Geelong when we won by a few points - the ball was kicked to Stevie J one out with Broughton and Broughts won the contest and brought the ball out both times.

His SC scores last year prove how important he is as a shutdown defender (ie back pocket)

Broughton only went in to the midfield last year because we had no other options.