Main Menu

Great Wall

Started by BGK, September 15, 2011, 09:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGK

I'm in the market to buy a couple of new cars at the moment and I test drove the Great Wall's yesterday. In their range I'm looking at the 4x4 wagon and the 4x4 Dual Cab. I can pick up both for about $45k on road before I add a few extras like tow bars, bull bars etc. They felt pretty good for what they were. The wagon has truck loads of extras like, reversing cameras, sensors, DVD player, climate control, bluetooth, rain sensitive wipers, auto headlights and a heap more. The ute doesn't have as much. They come with 3 year warranty and 3 years roadside assist.

So basically what I want to know is have you or anyone you know had one? Do you know anything about them? Or should I just spend the extra coin and buy a Hilux/Triton?

Let me know what you think thanks guys.

valkorum

My biggest concern with them is that they are a 2.4litre 4-cyl car so if you want them for towing they wont have the guts.  I had a look at one a while ago but the 4-cyl turned me off.  All the features that you get seem really good value.  I dont know anyone who has one or driven one so cant comment on that.

BGK

Im in the same boat as you valk although i wouldn't be doing a massive amount of heavy towing, just a tinny and a trailer to the dump. I really wish I knew someone with one.

Nails

I know someone who had a great wall...

Not sure if she has the 4x4 or what...

Might not be the exact kind you're after... hmmm.

8-6 Suited

Honestly, I have no idea about the great wall but they sound pretty dodgy imo.

BGK

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on September 15, 2011, 02:41:30 PM

What gives you that opinion mate?

Master Q

Why not go with a trusted brand?

pyronerd

Quote from: bestguykai on September 15, 2011, 02:54:31 PM
Quote from: 8-6 Suited on September 15, 2011, 02:41:30 PM

What gives you that opinion mate?
$$$$... and that they seem too much like Kia :P

8-6 Suited

Too cheap. Plus they are China made. :P Oh and they look terrible. I do know someone who has the ute, not really friends but.

BGK

Quote from: Master Q on September 15, 2011, 05:53:12 PM
Why not go with a trusted brand?

Well for one the trusted brands are at least 1.5 times the price.

BGK

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on September 15, 2011, 06:19:18 PM
Too cheap. Plus they are China made. :P Oh and they look terrible. I do know someone who has the ute, not really friends but.

They are cheap, but I only ever keep my cars for between 3 to 5 years. So do I spend more coin on a car I'm only going to get rid if in a couple of years.

They are Chinese but so are most things on the planet, if not there Taiwan, Thailand, India, Korea etc. Even the more trusted brands are made in Asia these days.

On the looks side of things the old model was horrible. The new one isn't to bad at all. Google it and check it out.

Master Q

I'm not aware of prices, but I wouldn't take the Great Wall unless you really need to... I'd stick to Toyota's, they are the most reliable car in the world, honestly I don't have one but they are great...

BGK

Quote from: Master Q on September 15, 2011, 06:29:03 PM
I'm not aware of prices, but I wouldn't take the Great Wall unless you really need to... I'd stick to Toyota's, they are the most reliable car in the world, honestly I don't have one but they are great...

Price is a big part of purchasing a new car. For the great wall I'm looking at 25k but a Hilux is 50k + it's easy to say they are the best (and I agree with this) but when it comes time to fork out the cash it's not so simple.

Master Q

Well then it's obvious... If you can't afford a Hillux or something in that range then settle for the Great Wall?

BGK

Quote from: Master Q on September 15, 2011, 08:32:40 PM
Well then it's obvious... If you can't afford a Hillux or something in that range then settle for the Great Wall?

Lol. It's not so much wether we can afford it but more I'm a tight ass. I can't decide wether I can bring myself to spend that much. Hahaha.