James McDonald as 4th Midfielder?

Started by MTTY, September 14, 2011, 01:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oodmutler

Quote from: tferrier18 on January 02, 2012, 06:19:13 PM
I don't feel as confident picking mcdonald as I did Harris, as I don't think McDonald will play as many away games.

By round 6 they'll have travelled to Hobart, Adelaide and Melbourne to play and I don't see him going to all of these matches. At 35 I reckon they'll be pretty sparing with how they use him.

Not doubting his scoring potential, because he could easily avg 80 and if he played 8 games in a row then you could cash him in for a good return but I just don't think he'll be able to stay on the park.

Will definitely have to see how he goes in NAB.

Why would you draft a 35yo to play him sparingly?

Surely himself plus the likes of Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan and Luke Power will be played as much as possible to help lead and protect the younger players...

jamesalex

Not taking him. There's some great cheap options in midfield this year, and I think Kavanagh, Shiel and Mitchell are better options.

Watch his NAB cup though...

Kuruki

Quote from: jamesalex on January 02, 2012, 06:28:22 PM
Not taking him. There's some great cheap options in midfield this year, and I think Kavanagh, Shiel and Mitchell are better options.

Watch his NAB cup though...

He is a great cheap option. Even guys like Scully and Palmer dont have the exp these kids need around them. McDonald will be a figure they look to and i can see him getting stuck in and leading the way for these young kids. Even if he breaks down 8 or 9 rounds into the season he would have done more then enough, as im planning on getting rid of him by then anyway.

tferrier18

Quote from: oodmutler on January 02, 2012, 06:23:55 PM
Why would you draft a 35yo to play him sparingly?

Surely himself plus the likes of Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan and Luke Power will be played as much as possible to help lead and protect the younger players...
I dunno, since he was signed as a player/coach - that just indicates to me that they're not overly fussed if he doesn't play every game/not expecting him to play every game. I think I read somewhere that he said himself he wasn't sure how many games he was going to play and said something like I'm not sure if I'm just going to play games near home - but thats a very vague memory.

They'll definitely want cornes, brogan etc to play as much as possible but i'm just not as confident with mcdonald that he'll be able to get himself up for every game. I dunno, I guess we'll see

Locinator

Just looking through the Fanplanner and saw this ex-gun for 106,600!! 2 years ago he averaged 99.7 and that was in a weak Melbourne side. Just wondering on your thoughts on this guy and would you risk having him in your side??

SydneyRox

Will depend on the NAB and where they play him (hopefully floating across the backline), but he is most certainly on my radar. If he plays round 1 then he should outscore most of the players priced around him.

picker_man

he's a 95% lock in my team, gws need the stronger bodies to protect the younger kids and they wouldnt of recruited him at his age to just sit on the bench,cash cow!!!

Manbearpig

He's a gift from the SC gods. 

pavs nose

Quote from: Manbearpig on January 17, 2012, 09:44:55 PM
He's a gift from the SC gods. 

bahahbaha 'manbearpig'! i havent seen that southpark episode for ages. genius name mate ;D

Colliwobblers

yep lock him in he may not play 22 but hopefully he'll play the first 8 or 9 and i'll cash that $150K cheque thanks very much :)

pavs nose

by the way yes has to be locked if selected for round one. so much scoring potential and so cheap. i dont care how old he is, at that price you would have to give him a go.

itchytradefinger

scotty_222

will he play every game though?
i mean he hasnt played for over a year
he is 36..
what is everyone hoping his avg will be.
youd be dirty if you picked me and he plays games here and there.

Purple 77

Oh Jimmy Mac, why did we get rid of you so?

Love my previous melb capatin, absolute gun that does his task, week in, week out.

If named in side, %100 LOCK

Grazz

At that price he's certainly on my radar, as Syd said Nab form will mean alot.