James McDonald as 4th Midfielder?

Started by MTTY, September 14, 2011, 01:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTTY

James McDonald returns via GWS Player/Coach. Could be similar to Harris in the value he offers next year.

Holz

Quote from: MTTY on September 14, 2011, 01:57:24 AM
James McDonald returns via GWS Player/Coach. Could be similar to Harris in the value he offers next year.

if he is 120k like harris than i think he is worth picking up for 6-7 games than dump him.

Ringo

We keep hearing about player/coach for GWS but how many will actually play each week or will they rotate.  (Power, Mac Donald, Cornes and maybe Brogan so are we getting a bit too heavy with veterans.

Don Cottagers

There would be two big problems with bringing in Junior when compared with the likes of Harris.

Firstly, while Harris had a year away like McDonald, Harris' averages in his last AFL season were 66/74 (DT/SC), whereas McDonald's were 94/99. You would think that this would make him significantly more expensive, even after his discount.

Secondly, this quote from the Herald Sun, "whether I play eight, 12 or 15 games, who knows?".

The man has been out of the system for a year, will be 35 years old, and thinks that he may play single figure games. Unless he is very cheap, and the GWS young midfield brigade don't look ready to go early, then you would think that a draftee at a struggling club would be a better way to go.

scotty_222

they will do a lot of rotating..
wouldnt be suprised if we see more older players and retirees being signed
on one year deals

Master Q

Quote from: Holzman on September 14, 2011, 06:40:00 AM
Quote from: MTTY on September 14, 2011, 01:57:24 AM

if he is 120k like harris than i think he is worth picking up for 6-7 games than dump him.

Thinking the same...

Linzo

oodmutler

Had forgotten about Little JMac, i'll see how he's travelling in the preseason. If he's going well, i'll definitely look at him.

Talisman

In some respects I struggle to see how this guy is not a lock for most people (that's if he isn't)...

When you consider he once averaged 112ppg (in 2006), the season after he averaged 98.7ppg, and in his last AFL season (2009 - the one before last) he averaged 99.7 - when he wasn't even getting much of a run by the then coach Dean Bailey.

Then think he's had a whole year away from the rigours of AFL footy to rest & re-energise, ready to hit the 2012 season & lead a new team as a senior player with verve & vigour, and that there won't be too many players taking points off him, and he becomes a very interesting propect indeed.

When he only costs $106,600, he only needs to play at least 17-18 games and average about 80ppg & you've had a massive return on investment.

Ask yourselves 3 questions:
1. Solid job security? Check.
2. Potential to score decently-very well? Check.
3. Low competition from teammates to steal points? Check.

Sounds like a reasonable package to me - I'll take him!!

(Especially when I, like many, will be punting on numerous rookies who we really have no idea how they will perform in the AFL, a proven, mature-aged player, with an AFL-ready body, who can score very, very well!)

Linzo

Thanks Talisman, exactly what I thought....surely he'll play most games with GWS teaching the kids and at that price I'm amazed not many people have him either!

batt

I'm pretty sure he said he'd be happy to play a dozen games or so.  Won't have him in my first 30 for the fear he'll get heavily rotated around in midfield of younger talented kids.  Might pick him up on the bubble if he get's some good TOG.

itchytradefinger

I'll take him. The fact is, he's far less risk than some others.  If he doesn't play every game, who cares?  There are no guarantees on the other rookies anyway.  What you are guaranteed with J Mac is a solid return on your paltry investment.  Bring. Him. On.

Ringo

He will be lock and load if he has a good pre season especially at price $106k.

IMO better value at that price than 1st round draft picks with premiums Conglio, Wingrad, Dyson etc,

Talisman

Quote from: batt on December 25, 2011, 08:13:51 PM
I'm pretty sure he said he'd be happy to play a dozen games or so.  Won't have him in my first 30 for the fear he'll get heavily rotated around in midfield of younger talented kids.  Might pick him up on the bubble if he get's some good TOG.

Pretty sure he would have just been being self-depricating. And I reckon all the young kids who have never played AFL football will be more likely to be heavily rotated than JMac.

Quote from: itchytradefinger on December 26, 2011, 12:24:27 AM
I'll take him. The fact is, he's far less risk than some others.  If he doesn't play every game, who cares?  There are no guarantees on the other rookies anyway.  What you are guaranteed with J Mac is a solid return on your paltry investment.  Bring. Him. On.

Could not agree anymore!

I mean, I see the excitement of the unknown of rookies - they could be anything! But that's just the point isn't it? A rookie can get all the hype in the world based on U-18 form, then barely play a game. It's a very inexact science picking which ones will play, let alone which ones will be SC gold. Compare that to the mature-age players of recent years like Barlow, Pods, Duigan, Puopolo, etc., who came in and in their first seasons became integral to their teams, played most games, and - in the case of Barlow & JPod - scored more than you could ever hope a rookie would score!

Best thing I've ever seen written about 18 y.o. rookies vs. mature-age, AFL experienced players is above: (that) there are no guarantees on the rookies anyway. Couldn't have put it better myself!!