Main Menu

All Australian Squad

Started by valkorum, September 06, 2011, 05:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-6 Suited

Not the point I was making. The first part is justifying his selection, the later comment was why he should be a Flank, Numpty jnr.

Holz

Quote from: North Melbournes Finest on September 20, 2011, 01:20:23 AM
Quote from: 8-6 Suited on September 19, 2011, 11:52:15 PM
2011 Statistical Rankings

Ranked 3rd in Total Inside 50s    
Ranked 8th in Total Goal Assists   
   Ranked 19th in Total Goals Contributed      
Ranked 1st in Total Kicks
   Ranked 16th in Total Handballs      
Ranked 1st in Total Disposals
   Ranked 4th in Inside 50s Per Game      
Ranked 13th in Goal Assists Per Game
   Ranked 1st in Kicks Per Game      
Ranked 1st in Disposals Per Game

31 goals with 22 behinds makes him a valid half forward flank selections, Numpty.
Aside from goals, thanks for providing all stats that would indicates he predominately plays midfield, idiot.

to be fair inside 50s and goal assits could be taken as somewhat forward stats. i do agree he is more of a mid than a forward, but unlike last time when he was listed as a forward you could mount a case for him.

PowerBug

B: Matthew Scarlett (Geelong), Darren Glass (West Coast), Corey Enright (Geelong)
HB: Robert Murphy (Western Bulldogs), Ben Reid (Collingwood), Leon Davis (Collingwood)
C: Dale Thomas (Collingwood), Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn), Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
HF: Marc Murphy (Carlton), Travis Cloke (Collingwood), Dane Swan (Collingwood)
F: Stephen Milne (St Kilda), Lance Franklin (Hawthorn), Adam Goodes (Sydney Swans)
Ruck: Dean Cox (West Coast), Chris Judd (vc) (Carlton), Gary Ablett (c) (Gold Coast)
I/C: Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs), Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda), James Kelly (Geelong), Drew Petrie (North Melbourne)

Six Pies, Ablett as skip, Judd only vice, Cloke gets CHF, Buddy at FF.

Surprise inclusions: Robert Murphy, James Kelly.
Surprise exclusions: Scott Thompson, Todd Goldstein (As there isn't another ruckman), Fyfey.

North Melbournes Finest

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on September 20, 2011, 01:33:00 AM
Not the point I was making. The first part is justifying his selection, the later comment was why he should be a Flank, Numpty jnr.
His selection is fine, in fact he should of made the wing, but if he's not making the wing or mids, surely he has to be on the bench because he's 90% in the midfield and he's taking someones spot who plays 90% in the forwardline. It's call the All Australian team, not the best 22 players in the league.

RiOtChEsS

wont happen, Ablett kicked 44 the year before and wasnt MPP

2 large cokes

the question you have to ask to figure out the swan debate is who would u rather in your forward line? dane swan or steve johnson (probably lost his spot to swan) for me swan is a better player. but stevie is a better forward by a mile.

basically stevie j in for swanny. move swanny to the bench for one of boyd or dal.

ajjewell

Would you be making the same point if he wasn't a pies player? There is no way he should've been named in the forward line, he deserved to get named but it should've been in a position he played in or at least on the bench

8-6 Suited

Quote from: ajjewell on September 20, 2011, 04:18:16 PM
Would you be making the same point if he wasn't a pies player? There is no way he should've been named in the forward line, he deserved to get named but it should've been in a position he played in or at least on the bench

No, I am clearly biased. Of course I would have.

Quote from: 2 large cokes on September 20, 2011, 02:10:57 PM
the question you have to ask to figure out the swan debate is who would u rather in your forward line? dane swan or steve johnson (probably lost his spot to swan) for me swan is a better player. but stevie is a better forward by a mile.

basically stevie j in for swanny. move swanny to the bench for one of boyd or dal.

Stevie J would have lost his spot to Milney, not Swanny. That in itself is a terrible decision as Stevie J had eery right to be in the squad. But he played a hell of a lot of midfield time this season. ;)

Justin Bieber

Quote from: 2 large cokes on September 20, 2011, 12:15:47 AM
absolute joke how Josh Gibson doesn't get in that team. barely any help at all in a depleted defense and dominated more of the year. only glass and reid deserve spots before him. if no equally as good as them. Robert Murphy or Corey Enright very lucky selections.
Quote from: North Melbournes Finest on September 19, 2011, 11:38:19 PM
The awkward moment when Robert Murphy makes the starting squad, when he shouldn't of even made the bench, and Josh Gibson doesn't make it, what a flowered up system.
I would take Gibson over Murphy/Scarlett but guess they wanted more runners in their team ::). Would have much preferred Gibbo but Murphy was kinda a shock selection for me.

Quote from: luvfooty on September 19, 2011, 11:44:36 PM
Milne seriously?????
Milne is the perfect small forward, can sneak in goals whenever you need him to. He's had a great year and had him in mine. I can understand why he was chosen due to this season as they can't have a team without a proper small forward. But Stevie J was certainly stiff to miss out altogether! Would have had him in the other Pocket (Goodes on HF Flank and Swan benched). But even moreso, Fyfe is a big ommission :o. How does he not make the forward flank after his stellar season? Sure his team didn't finish top 8 but can't rob the man of what he deserves.

Quote from: CrowsFan on September 19, 2011, 11:25:28 PM
Thompson didn't make it :(
As above with Fyfe. I would have him over Kelly in the team easily after his consistent season. The lean on the top 4 teams seems a bit too much that it robs out players who performed extremely well in fairly average teams this season. Didn't have Boyd making it despite my obvious biasness towards him :-*.

Quote from: Holzman on September 19, 2011, 11:15:20 PM
Petrie doesnt deserve to make the team, Goldy should have been picked ahead of him. I would rate Petries season 4th after Swallow, Goldy and Wells
The other shock for me :o. I would much prefer Goldy who was in the top tier of Ruckmen this season. But where to fit him in unless it's for Cox :-\.

ossie85

I love this team! Didn't predict it, but with the exception of Ben Reid (who had an outstanding season), the other 21 have been consistent contributors for quite some time.

Well done AA selectors.

fever

rob murphy did not have an all australian year

ajjewell

Quote from: fever on September 21, 2011, 03:17:36 PM
rob murphy did not have an all australian year
He had a pretty good year was easily in their top couple of players, his numbers would stack up very well with players he was in competition for spots with

Memphistopheles

A bit hit and miss from the All-Australian selectors in my opinion.
On one hand they have tried to pick and actual team by including some run off half-back (Murphy) and a player who dominate up forward and pinch hit well in the ruck (Petrie).
This is per the norm in the AFL this season â€" if this team was to play it would need run off halfback and wouldn’t want two proper ruckmen.
However, they have also failed to pick enough forwards. Franklin, Cloke, Milne and Petrie are proper forwards. I guess you could argue that Goodes is also a forward, but with Franklin, Cloke and Petrie there is no room for a fourth tall forward (although arguably Goodes is could be better at Petrie’s ruck/forward role)
They picked six proper defenders so they should have done the same in the forward line.
Alternatively why did they not start some of the extra midfielders on a half-back flank instead of picking them in the forward line?
Steve Johnson in the other forward pocket and Nat Fyfe on the half-forward line should have been included.
My team
B: Scarlett, Glass, Enright
HB: Gibson, Reid, Davis
C: Boyd, Mitchell, Pendlebury
HF: Fyfe, Cloke, Goodes
F: Milne, Franklin, Johnson
R: Cox, Ablett (c), Judd.
I/C: Petrie, Swan, M Murphy, Thomas (sub).