Main Menu

vs Collingwood

Started by bunyip, August 29, 2011, 11:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

I wonder if anyone really gives us a chance against the magpie machine. After our effort against the Swannys probably not, and with some justification.
Collingwoods only loss for the season was an unlucky loss to us. The thing is though, how did we get so close to them. I think the answer is, you don't try to tag anyone. Who do you try to stop in a team like Collingwood? What you would do as a coach, is charge your players with the challenge of winning your position, beating your opponent.
You just have to believe that your players are as good as theirs, and that at least half of them will win their position. The last game lived up to the hype, hopefully this one will to.

PowerBug

Not this week. That means you'll win the flag if you meet in the GF ;)

Cruiseon

Of course you are in with a chance, a very good chance but we will rightfully go in as favourites.

Geelong have slipped up on three occassions this year whereas the Pies have been very consistent. The main slip-up from the Pies was not against Geelong (that was just a tight game which Geelong should have won by more) but against Adelaide when we were 40 odd points down at 3/4 time.

Not for the first time I think Scarlett will be hugely important and if Geelong are able to generate run off the back line then they are a huge chance. There will be plenty out from both sides, Corey, Thomas, Shaw etc etc but it is just a run out out this week, a good one but unless someone gets thrashed it won't mean much.

bunyip

I agree that it is a dead rubber, so the players may want to have a night off. I don't think it will work that way though. The players will try to win for their own reasons. Both are proud clubs and will want to go into the first final with a win behind them. Winning form is good form.
Trent West, Tommahawk and Moondog should play to give them some game time they need.
Daisy getting 2 weeks will hurt, he's an important player.
Joel Corey may not play, and Dasher Milburn is doubtfull, so both teams have one or two holes to fill.

Cruiseon

Joel Corey will definitely be out, he has been in such good form but really struggles to get through a season these days. He is the kind of player I love (see Budda Hocking, Lenny Hayes, Paul Kelly, Gavin Brown) but I worry how long his career has left to run.

As an aside Bunyip, I leave on Monday and will be out of the country for most of September travelling to the US & Europe. A little presumptuous perhaps but I'll be back in town for the GF and will attend. So no prelim banter this year but I'll be hoping you knock off Hawthorn and the banter is between the two best sides on 2011 leading into the GF.

bunyip

Distance is not an issue in our techno age Cruis, only sobriety. Enjoy yourself. I might start picking on ossie while your gone, just to keep in shape.

Cruiseon

Ironically he too is travlling to Europe for part of September.

8-6 Suited

But I will still be here bunyip, and I'm always up for a bit of banter.

Thomas out will hurt, but with Wellingham coming back, hopefully, it shouldn't be much of a hole to fill.

Cruiseon

Just got the update that Os is currently is France!

bunyip

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on August 30, 2011, 06:59:07 PM
But I will still be here bunyip, and I'm always up for a bit of banter.

Thomas out will hurt, but with Wellingham coming back, hopefully, it shouldn't be much of a hole to fill.
I think my knives are sufficiently sharpened to take you on 8. I so look forward to the finals, it's like the season has been just a preparation for us to battle it out .
Just as an aside, do you put any weight on the game on Friday at all?

Cruiseon

The only impact I see the game on Friday having is if one side gets beaten by more than 6 goals or if any injuries occur.

I even heard Scott this morning using the term it will be a good "run-out".

8-6 Suited

I use butter knives, more annoying than painful. :P

Season has felt like it has gone on too long, with this new 24 week fixture. The finals are going to be awesome. 5 top teams this season, with 2 followers and 1 team that can contend but will they bring it or wont they? That team being St Kilda.

As for Friday's game, a big win could hurt either team slightly, but moreso if Geelong suffer it after last weekends performance.

bunyip

Geelong are an incredibly tough team mentally, but so are Collingwood. To win 20 games or more in a season is an great feat, and a huge win for the teams concentration ability. To maintain a high degree of skill level over 5 months is a tribute to the players. Most teams have form slumps at some stage. Collingwood don't appear to have had one this season, or last for that matter.
This sort of thing is fun to speculate on, but both coaches would be focused on who runs out onto the ground, and how to beat them.
I reckon this game will be won in the coaches box. Collingwood are ahead of us (slightly) in skill level, but it's more about intensity than class. I have no doubt that if the Cats players REALLY want to win it they will do similar to last time we played, and make it a one on one contest all over the ground, and win the clearances. Keep the turnovers to a minimum and pressure the midfielders into long kicks into the forward 50. Having said that, they'll probably do exactly the opposite.
No tricks are going to beat Collingwood, you have to be better than them on the night. Whatever coaching tactics Geelong employs it won't be a surprise.
One things for sure, last time we played our yoinger player stood up, this time I think it will be up to the older heads.

Cruiseon

I notice Collingwood playing very tall tomorrow night with Jolly, Brown, Wood, Dawes, Cloke, Reid - yet another tactical aspects to speculate on.

To me for Geelong to beat Collingwood (especially when it counts) they need great games from BOTH Johnson and Chapman. Its rare they have fired together this year, I'm hoping that continues because they are both unstopable when in form.

Usman

Chapman hasnt had his best year by anymeans and could be the X factor in finals. Johnson however has had easily his best year IMO playing through the midfield more with the departure of GAJ