4 trades per week during finals

Started by karicta, August 23, 2011, 05:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karicta

It happens every year

Multiple stars out during the final few weeks of the year and it kills sc and dt finals.

Why not have more trades per week available during the finals to allow for this?

I dabble with 4 as the number because it seems there are approx double the stars out by this time.

I would not increase total trades for the year.  This means you are unlikely to have had a good year and still have the trades available to actually trade 4 times each week.  You would use it for, say this week only.  Maybe you only get to use the double trade feature once?

I apologise if this has been done before

Thoughts?

CrowsFan

I don't like it.
If you are a good team you should have some decent bench cover in my opinion. Unfortunately I was not a good team this season and am already out of all my finals :( But it had nothing to do with not enough players playing, they just played poorly...

karicta

Quote from: CrowsFan on August 23, 2011, 08:05:13 PM
I don't like it.
If you are a good team you should have some decent bench cover in my opinion. Unfortunately I was not a good team this season and am already out of all my finals :( But it had nothing to do with not enough players playing, they just played poorly...

Only partially true.  Cover should not have to be extensively relied upon (ie 2 plus).

If someone has, say 6 out then their 'cover' is unlikely to get them over the line and this through no fault of the coach.

Saving trades would become more important and the better overall team/coach is more likely to win.

Torress

you tend to see threads like these when things go pear shaped! these are times when unique picks stand up. I dont get it why ppl want to make things easier when times get tough! I think this is great, its exciting! dont get me wrong, I've got Sylvia,pav, Broughton but only Gibbs. pendles and Cox have doubts.  dont rate the idea personally m8, SC has and dare I say will always have 2 trades max per week, full stop.

North Melbournes Finest

How about the season just started when the AFL season starts and the finals are from round 16 or whatever? Sick of players getting rested during what's meant to be the most intense part of SC time.

Marstar

Quote from: Torress on August 24, 2011, 12:10:50 AM
you tend to see threads like these when things go pear shaped! these are times when unique picks stand up. I dont get it why ppl want to make things easier when times get tough! I think this is great, its exciting! dont get me wrong, I've got Sylvia,pav, Broughton but only Gibbs. pendles and Cox have doubts.  dont rate the idea personally m8, SC has and dare I say will always have 2 trades max per week, full stop.

Actually it's times like this when uniques DONT stand up. If a unique is out then it only affect you, not your opponent.
When it's some1 most ppl in finals have e.g. Dane Swan (55% of total teams), then every1 has to use their cover. If it's some1 more unique who is rested e.g. Dal Santo (8% of total teams), then it will hurt you alot more.

Ringo

Whilst I do not like this idea I like the idea that was previously raised in that you have a wild cardtrade to use at your discretion if required any time during the season.  Basically there are no more trades but the wildcard allows you to use three trades for one week once during the season. So if this was in force and you hade 3 or more trades left and had not used the discretion previously you would be allowed to use three trades this week.

Torress

fair call marstar but throw in the Carlton bye m8. Judd Gibbs Murphy Scotland. all popular picks, Pav, Broughton, speculation that priddis, Cox, pendles, Mitchel may get the week off as well. you are right tho get one of your uniques out it hurts u more. but this week popular picks are out! and could get worse, late withdrawals could be nasty :-[

karicta

Marstar - exactly

Ringo - fine, I mooted 4 in th op, but 3 would be better than 2

Given you have to have banked the trades and still be in finals... Partic as deep as this week... What is the downside to extra trades in finals so long as the total trades for the year remains static?

If the game is supposed to mimic in some way the real thing then I guarantee I would not be resting multiple stars for a final... Injuries are different, but there is a real risk that luck plays too much of a part in fantasy footy finals as things stand

For the record, and I don't think it's relevant, but I probably gained from the mass loss of players last year and may do so again this year (haven't compared me v opponent/s yet). I thought my opponent was hard done by in the gf last year and think there must be a better way...

ossie85

Quote from: Torress on August 24, 2011, 11:04:41 AM
fair call marstar but throw in the Carlton bye m8. Judd Gibbs Murphy Scotland. all popular picks, Pav, Broughton, speculation that priddis, Cox, pendles, Mitchel may get the week off as well. you are right tho get one of your uniques out it hurts u more. but this week popular picks are out! and could get worse, late withdrawals could be nasty :-[

Byes only a problem this year though

Ringo

Quote from: karicta on August 24, 2011, 11:09:10 AM
Marstar - exactly

Ringo - fine, I mooted 4 in th op, but 3 would be better than 2

Given you have to have banked the trades and still be in finals... Partic as deep as this week... What is the downside to extra trades in finals so long as the total trades for the year remains static?

If the game is supposed to mimic in some way the real thing then I guarantee I would not be resting multiple stars for a final... Injuries are different, but there is a real risk that luck plays too much of a part in fantasy footy finals as things stand

For the record, and I don't think it's relevant, but I probably gained from the mass loss of players last year and may do so again this year (haven't compared me v opponent/s yet). I thought my opponent was hard done by in the gf last year and think there must be a better way...
I was only reprising a suggestion put forward about mid season that I read and I agree with most of what you are saying and for the record I have no trades left and playing finals due mainly to LTI's.  This subject usually gets mooted at this time due to clubs resting players. Personally I would prefer the option of three trades for prelim and grand final if you have the trades available (I think 4 may be a bit much but just my opinion) and this should be easy to institute. Last year I lost out due to resting of players and with no byes will no doubt occur next year.  On the con side it may take away some of the strategies coaches develop for these situations.

karicta

I ain't sold on 4, nor the option being available more than once, but I see good argument for either

As for strategies, I don't think you can anticipate all the resting and injured players specifically. I have no sympathy for those that didn't plan for the byes. Extra trades per week merely adds another strategy to be considered - a greater benefit to holding trades until the end.