Main Menu

Maxy, Shaw and our best FINALS 22!!!

Started by BGK, August 16, 2011, 01:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGK

With news of Maxwell suffering a broken thumb and possibly being unavailable for 4 weeks, does he still fit in our team come finals time? Same question for Shaw, can we bring him straight back? Can we carry both into a Grand Final?

I think Shaw will play. He isn't injured and is in Arizona getting a good fitness base.

I'm not so certain about Maxy. His form this year has been ordinary and being that he may not be available until the third week of finals, I can see him missing out. But he is our captain.

My best finals 22

FB:   O'brien, Tarrant, Toovey
HB:   Shaw, Reid, Davis
C:   Thomas, Pendlebury, Wellingham
HF:   Didak, Cloke, Beams
FF:   Krakouer, Dawes, Sidebottom
F:   Jolly, Swan, Ball
I:    Brown, Blair, Goldsack, Fasolo

E:   Johnson, Maxwell, Buckley

My big toss up would be does a combination of 2 Blair, Goldsack or Fasolo miss out for Johnson and Maxwell?

What's everyone's thoughts?

ossie85

Johnson simply has to be in the side! He's been great recently IMO. But geez...

From your side...

Out: Goldsack, Fasolo, In: Maxwell, Johnson

Goldsack and fas have been playing quality football.... but Johnson has to find a spot. Moneybags and Maxwell is a much tougher decision... but think Maxwell has proved himself in big games before, and I'll back him in. Nobody will want it more.

Emergency: Buckley, Fasolo, Goldsack

As much as I love Toov... he might struggle depending on form.

BGK

I think that's our best 25 and any combination of them would make a very nice team.

BGK

On current form do you think Blair is going better than Fasolo? Or is it based on Blair has been there and done that before? I've been pretty bloody impressed with Fasolo.

ossie85

As have I (what a bargain pick!), but have also been impressed with Blair...

I know stats aren't everything, but Blair's last 6 SC scores:

125, 64, 64, 79, 152, 35

And Fasolo's

33, 22, 74, 123, 79, 55

So not that much difference really (realising subs are part of that equation).

And like you pointed our, Blair's been there before.

Cruiseon

A lovely conversation to be having.

One thing we can be guaranteed is that due to injury or suspension unfortunately someone in that 25 will not be available to play all finals. Again it seems we have enough depth to cover 1 or 2 injuries in most (not all) positions.

So on the assumption that everyone is available I agree that Blair and Fasolo are competeing for one spot which is strange as they are such different players. It might come down to opposition or weather especially given that Beams has come back in great form. Johnson's inclusion is a must - Goldsack might be unlucky on that front.

Maxwell is tough, so many dimensions to consider. It's a good position to be in. 

BGK

It is a nice problem to have.

At the end of last year when all the older guys retired I wasn't sure we had enough depth. With guys like Fasolo, Rounds, Keeffe and co, my worries are gone.

Johnson bothers me at times. He can really get into a bang it long rhythm. His form of late has been awesome. But I really rate Goldsack and think it would be rough for him to miss out. But someone has too.

Spite

Out: Fasolo
In: Johnson

(In your team)

Blair's finals experience will be worth more than fasolo's form come finals time even though fasolo is playing better footy than Blair.

Goldsack will lose his spot to Maxwell (unfortunately!). I rate moneybags but sometimes he does have bad games, or really really average ones. At least with Maxwell you get consistency. Consistently bad games.

Seriously maxwell is our 23rd-24th best player but since he is the captain, he will have to have a spot in our team (think Tom Harley ish) but I am hoping that this injury does in fact rule him out of the finals series, or the pies use it as an excuse not to play him, because he is not in our best 22 and we should be playing the best 22 in the finals.

Cruiseon

Does beg the difficult question "who will be Captain next year?".

New coach, new Captain? Pendles perhaps?

Ruckus

You have named 4 interchange players. Should be 3 and a sub. That does change things a little. Maxy sub in first game back?

Ruckus

Re captain, I'd love to see Daisy get the gig. His work rate and tackling this year have been inspirational. Pendles is great (of course), but IMO Daisy is the best fit (looking from the outside). Displaying desire and hunger on the field is a key quality of Collingwood captains.

ossie85

Interesting thought Ruckus.. making him captain could make him sign on :)

Perhaps it should be Luke Ball? Outstanding season and has Captain experience. But I'd still back Pendles, and maybe Harry O as a smokie.

Ruckus

Luke Ball would be a great asset for Daisy (captain) in the leadership group (mentor), but leave Ball away from the scrutiny of the media, and let him play footy.

Ruckus

All been said and done, I dont necessarily believe Maxy is gone yet. He is a very impressive man. Form not great, but he'll bounce back.

BGK

Quote from: Ruckus on August 18, 2011, 10:06:34 AM
You have named 4 interchange players. Should be 3 and a sub. That does change things a little. Maxy sub in first game back?

Teams don't name the sub until 90 mins before a game, so I don't think it matters if we name one here. I'm not sure it changes anything for me, I wouldn't like to see him as the sub. IMO the sub needs to be a running player who can really impact the game late. Maxy will probably play but I'm not sure he's in our best 22 at the moment.