Main Menu

Zac Clarke - Rd 20 Rising Star

Started by valkorum, August 09, 2011, 10:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valkorum

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/120521/default.aspx

QuoteFremantle's Zac Clarke is the latest emerging star to step off the court and on to the footy field and admits he is still learning the game after coming to it relatively late.

ossie85

Well done Zac, been around the traps a bit.

Cicjose

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on August 09, 2011, 12:22:31 PM
didn't think he was eligible

Turned 21 this season and only played 9 games before this year.  He just qualifies :)

Cicjose

if he seriously wants to be number 1 at the dockers he needs to play ruck and rover, get his aerobic capacity up to play like an elite midfielder

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on August 09, 2011, 02:29:13 PM
if he seriously wants to be number 1 at the dockers he needs to play ruck and rover, get his aerobic capacity up to play like an elite midfielder

Have you been actually been watching him play?  When Griff was in the side, Zac was playing on ball and wing and only giving a chop out in the ruck when Griff needed a rest.  Zac has a massive tank already and has had a big tank since we drafted him.  Why do you think we picked up as a mid 30's pick - he had a big tank and lots of raw ability and skil.  He played bball as a junior so was late to the game but he shows plenty of potential. 

If we can hang on to him and not lose him to another club (re: Warnock) then I believe he will be part of our ruck division moving forward.  I can see a lot more benefit in having Sandi and Zac over Sandi and Griff.  But I do like the idea of Zac and Griff when Sandi retires (hopefully after our maiden premiership).

Keep in the back of your mind another young ruckman which will hopefully make our senior list in a couple years (NSW Scholarship player Craig Moller).  He turns 17 later this month and is already 203cm.  He has been scholarship listed since he was 14.  He played 4 out 5 games for NSW/ACT in the U-18 championships.  With limited minutes and starting off the bench he averaged 12 disposals and 16 hitouts per game.

Cicjose

i don't concentrate on Zac's game too much but will pay more attention to it in the remaining games

but as you say he has raw ability which is nice, to me tho he does seem all arms and legs at this stage.

but i didn't realise we were looking into Moller,

its always good to be looking into very tall athletic ruckmen which fremantle has always done well with recruiting

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on August 09, 2011, 04:46:11 PM
i don't concentrate on Zac's game too much but will pay more attention to it in the remaining games

but as you say he has raw ability which is nice, to me tho he does seem all arms and legs at this stage.

but i didn't realise we were looking into Moller,

its always good to be looking into very tall athletic ruckmen which fremantle has always done well with recruiting

Well then don't make a comment about him if you haven't been watching his game. 

Cicjose

i have seen him play, i said that i don't concentrate on his involvement a great deal. its more his around the ground ruck work

elephants

A heated debate between Freo fans... must be the whole 9th place thing..? Just stirring. Hope your lads win vs carlton, it'd really help us ;D

Cruiseon

You two are like a married couple - and of course that comes from a married man.  ;)

valkorum

Quote from: Cruiseon on August 09, 2011, 06:36:26 PM
You two are like a married couple - and of course that comes from a married man.  ;)

No way I would marry him, always so negative - I only want positive people in my life

Quote from: Cicjose on August 09, 2011, 06:25:02 PM
i have seen him play, i said that i don't concentrate on his involvement a great deal. its more his around the ground ruck work

If you had of paid attention you would have noticed that when he was in the team with Griff that he wasnt playing ruck.  Griff was rucking all over the ground and Zac was playing on ball and wing.  Zac would only ruck for about 3 - 5 mins a quarter so if you were only watching him for his ruck work you wouldnt see him.

But......

If you were watching the ruck work you would have noticed that when he was on ball at a stoppage he was going 3rd man up a lot, which is a good tactic IMO.  No other on-baller is going to match him for height or jump so he has a clear (easy) jump at the ball.

I kinda hate to admit this but I think Harves is going to model Zac's game to be the same as the other funny-haired-dude up the road.  I think Zac has the ability to play that role - see his mark on the weekend ;)

Cicjose

do you believe that Clarke can ruck a whole game on his own yet?

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on August 09, 2011, 11:05:26 PM
do you believe that Clarke can ruck a whole game on his own yet?

What do you think he did last week against the Saints - and won the rd 20 rising star award for (this thread :P)