Main Menu

John Elliot - A Pigs Arse

Started by McRooster, July 19, 2011, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McRooster

Anyone catch last nights new show on Ten 'Can of Worms' ?

I won't repeat verbatim what was spoken by John but fair to say it was met with an uncomfortable silence from the panel and studio audience. He brokenly apologised but dug the hole deeper by saying that it was how he was brought up and how he used to speak.

I wonder how you never became Prime Minister with ideals like that John  ::)

The edgy show continued on (yes, it could have been edited out - Ten erring by going for topical impact) but misfired due to the uncomfortable taste left after Elliot's comment.

No wonder John when we read today of stories like http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8274472/dad-says-son-called-nigger-in-footy-game because it's troglodites like you that haven't learned to embrace all cultures. How do we expect our kids to learn acceptance  when they are fed brain farts like yours.

Forgiveness not hatred, equality not racism.

McRooster

A bit late I see  :-[

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,41199.msg519748.html#msg519748

For my family, for yours, for everyone's - grow the flower up you racist pricks. >:(

elephants

First time I've missed a can of worms since it started and it might not have been an all bad thing...?

Justin Bieber

Quote from: elephants on July 19, 2011, 09:53:40 PM
First time I've missed a can of worms since it started and it might not have been an all bad thing...?
It was the second time it was showed :P.

Indeed it was the wrong thing to say and he only realised that after it's left his mouth. The show was made for controversy so I think more should be expected while it runs. Think 10 allowed for it to be unedited as controversy = $$$. Their ratings will surely spike next week to see all the interest in it so probably why they left it in.

Although I didn't feel it had any malice behind it, it has been blown out of proportions. You hear so many names for a certain culture going around (at my high school it's common and nobody takes offence to it). I don't see where they get he's a racist for referring the Indigenous people that word but I may think differently to others. I don't think it was used to offend so it depends on the context behind the word. If he meant to spite it, he should get the flasking he deserves. However, on a show that brings up issues, I'd leave it more to a slip of the tongue and not getting with the times really.

Just my thoughts on the matter but I may have had different experiences to many others out there.

Fireballz

I think there is polite terms and impolite terms for each race or genotype and what came out of John Elliott's mouth was impolite. He may not have meant it with any malice, but nor do people who use words like b***g, c**n, etc.
"Its what we called them in my day"
Well wake up mate coz it's not 1960 anymore and words like this are dying a slow painful death for a very good reason.

bomberboy0618

Ah but hp as kids we take it in our stride. I know that I swear at people all the time but people know there is no harm behind it.
Any clips on YouTube of what he said?

Zarts

Quote from: Hellopplz on July 19, 2011, 10:36:00 PM
Quote from: elephants on July 19, 2011, 09:53:40 PM
It was the second time it was showed :P.

Indeed it was the wrong thing to say and he only realised that after it's left his mouth. The show was made for controversy so I think more should be expected while it runs. Think 10 allowed for it to be unedited as controversy = $$$. Their ratings will surely spike next week to see all the interest in it so probably why they left it in.

Although I didn't feel it had any malice behind it, it has been blown out of proportions. You hear so many names for a certain culture going around (at my high school it's common and nobody takes offence to it). I don't see where they get he's a racist for referring the Indigenous people that word but I may think differently to others. I don't think it was used to offend so it depends on the context behind the word. If he meant to spite it, he should get the flasking he deserves. However, on a show that brings up issues, I'd leave it more to a slip of the tongue and not getting with the times really.

Just my thoughts on the matter but I may have had different experiences to many others out there.

Same with my year... we basically spent all of highschool conditioning ourselves against any insults, racial or otherwise.

RiOtChEsS

he is a blight on our proud club >:(

hawk_88

Personally I avoid saying such things, but I do have some thoughts on it.

First, I don't think there was any malice behind what he said. I don't think it was said with any derogatory intent. It is certainly not the said thing in polite society any more. but for years it was.

The second aspect is was any offence taken, intended or otherwise? I think this is important as if certain terms do carry offence to a particular subset of society, whilst I don't believe that we have a right to be not offended, it is at the very least civil to avoid terms should they offend.

My experience tells me that such politically incorrect terms generally only offend those who advocate for a subset of society, and not the subset of society itself. To put it simply, political correctness gone made. I'm am not sure if that is the case with this particular term as I have never discussed it with an Aboriginal person.

Fireballz

Quote from: hawk_88 on July 20, 2011, 09:41:52 AM
Personally I avoid saying such things, but I do have some thoughts on it.

First, I don't think there was any malice behind what he said. I don't think it was said with any derogatory intent. It is certainly not the said thing in polite society any more. but for years it was.

The second aspect is was any offence taken, intended or otherwise? I think this is important as if certain terms do carry offence to a particular subset of society, whilst I don't believe that we have a right to be not offended, it is at the very least civil to avoid terms should they offend.

My experience tells me that such politically incorrect terms generally only offend those who advocate for a subset of society, and not the subset of society itself. To put it simply, political correctness gone made. I'm am not sure if that is the case with this particular term as I have never discussed it with an Aboriginal person.
Yeh a very good point there actually. But I think it's more about getting on the front foot and making an example of people to show that it's best to err on the side of caution whne using terms with any sort of racial connotations. You can see the flow-on effect from the racial issues that footy has had this year with the reports of that kid racially abused in the u/11's.
I think the word itself is condescending, and maybe nobody did get offended but next time when it's said with malicious intent then you don't want someone to say "nobody kicked up a fuss when dinosaur elliot said it on tv!"

hawk_88

That is very true. Also a term by itself may not carry offensive, but in certain contexts it may. How it is intended and how it is interpreted and taken can be different so it certainly pays to be cautious in these circumstances.

Australia is amongst the most racially cautious countries in the world and I think on the whole that is a very good thing. The only fear I have is that in doing so we don't go too far to the point where we are blind to race. That might sound like a good thing, but it can be very dangerous.

We have to acknowledge and be aware of other cultures, especially with the rate of migration to this country. To celebrate it, but also to be able to help deal with any clashes in culture. As an example, DHS (that is the Victorian department, not sure of other state's equivalents) has had a great deal of issues with the recent migrations from Ghana, Somalia and Sudan. In the cultures they have come from, it is common for families to share a single (as in one) bed and corporal punishment is common when dealing with children. Obviously it can be quite distressing for parents, particularly fathers, when they are levelled with claims of child abuse, particularly sexual abuse, simply for sharing a bed or smacking their children.

The above situation can't be solved simply by "treat everyone the same", or "these are the Australian customs and social expectations, deal with it".

Zarts

the issue is in the actual meaning of the word. If you stop teaching kids that words like 'coon' and 'nigger' etc. have horrible undertones of racial slander, but instead teach all children (of all races) that these words aren't offensive, then they stop becoming offensive.

Words only have the power you give and allow them to have. If you strip them of that power, then they just slide into the language as harmless nouns.

hawk_88

That is nice in principle, however these words tend to have that meaning due to history. You can't simply erase people's memories of the past. The process has to be organic, I don't think you can un any way engineer it.

Often words will naturally lose the negative connotation through generations as the immediacy of the historic events are lost. Sometimes though, this doesn't happen, and that is often because the historic event(s) still have a significant impact on the current generation.

Holz

if he hadnt of said that word and still said the rest do you still think people will be up in arms about the rest.

Zarts

honestly, I don't even know what he said :P