Main Menu

Heath Shaw

Started by RiOtChEsS, July 15, 2011, 04:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTK

Quote from: Master Q on August 03, 2011, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: MTK on August 03, 2011, 09:00:26 PM
Heath Shaw (quite rightly) copped a decent whack for betting on footy....it's now come to light that last weekend that the Melbourne players 'protested' against how their club was being run by essentially not trying down at Geelong. In my mind this is a FAR more serious charge than Shaw's....each player involved in that shameful display down at Geelong should be suspended by the AFL for the rest of the year for bringing the game into disrepute.........Discuss......
Rubbish. Do you have any evidence?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/player-revolt-preceded-humiliation-20110731-1i6r1.html

8-6 Suited

Caroline Wilson

All that matters in that entire story is who it was done by.

Master Q

Rule No.1: Caro is rubbish

Cruiseon

Q they are wise words.

I think you omitted Rule no 2: refer to rule 1.

PowerBug

Cruiseon

PowerBug

The url says enough. It should be for rehab, not altitude training.

BGK

ossie85

Indeed. I'm expecting a Norm Smith

8-6 Suited

I was stunned, no surprise that he was either.

MTK

A couple of interesting points to make re Dean Wallis......

He lied through his teeth (Heath Shaw was open and honest from the start, and the AFL made the point that had a significant impact on the length of his sentence)

He bet on AT LEAST 3 games (Heath Shaw only one)

His bets (that we know of) are for $400 (Heath Shaw was for $10)

How did he only get 14 weeks???????? Should have got at least 12 months............

Grumen

For whats its worth this is my 2 cents on Gambling.

I'd hate to be the next Player, Coach or Adminastrator of an AFL Club to be caught gambling on the game.
The AFL has clearly made a strong stance againgt betting on games and rightly so.
In the buisness world people are jailed for insider trading. Whats the difference between that and profiteering form
betting on a game with inside information? Heath Shaw & Dean Wallis are definetley 100% not the only palyer,
coach & adminastrator of a club that have betted on a game this year or in past years. (the only two caught so far)
Gambling is an addiction and the Clubs and AFL have a duty of care to help players and its adminastrators with this
problem. Unfortunately gambling has been a large part of Australian culture. Most of us enjoy a bet but some go to far.
Finally. Lets hope lessons have been learnt and the punishment fits the crime.

GT

PowerBug

Quote from: MTK on September 08, 2011, 07:06:18 PM

He lied through his teeth (Heath Shaw was open and honest from the start, and the AFL made the point that had a significant impact on the length of his sentence)

How did he only get 14 weeks???????? Should have got at least 12 months............
True, but i think the AFL is saying gambling is gambling, regardless of the amount.

BGK

Quote from: MTK on September 08, 2011, 07:06:18 PM

I think the difference is in the actual bet placed. Shaw used inside knowledge and bet on Maxwell to kick the first goal. Wallis bet on multi leg teams to win. So he only bet on the bombers and other teams to win. There was no inside knowledge. The amount doesn't really matter. A $3 bet is no different to $100 bet in this situation.