Who do we fear the most in September?

Started by mfc9, July 12, 2011, 10:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfc9

I was sitting at the MCG on Sunday watching us belt the Kangas and there was a feeling of going through the motions until the real stuff begins. I keep reminding myself to enjoy this period because it won't last forever, but I just want to get to Grand Fibal day and take what is ours. My question for everyone is, with all our contenders few and far between, which team do you fear the most? I reckon we have the Cats measure with Jolly playing, but the Hawks with their full list frightens me, and I wouldn't want Carlton in a prelim in front of 100,000 where anything can happen (Essendon 1999)

ossie85

Carlton in any sort of elimination final will freak me the hell out. I'll take them in the QF thank you!

But yes, Buddy is my biggest fear. Though Tarrant and co.'s recent performance on him has calmed me down a lot

Eagles could prove interesting...

Cruiseon

Until we win I fear everyone. I thinik we will comfortably account for all of those outside the top 5 but like Os a Carlton elimination type final would have me very nervous. Not beacuse I think they are better than Geelong or WestCoast, just because the thought of losing to them in an important game is too much to bear.

I think we and the likes of Geelong and WC will have Hawthorn's measure. I just dont think their gameplan of short kicking possession football will stand up in a high pressure finals situation - even with a return of the 2 or 3 key players they are missing.

PowerBug

From a Pies point of view i would say Geelong and Hawthorn.

But i'm not a pies fan so i say Carlton and West Coast.

Cruiseon

Quote from: PowerBug on July 13, 2011, 03:12:19 PM

I will come out and say confidently, that Collingwood as a club do not fear Port Adelaide.

AFEV

Quote from: Cruiseon on July 13, 2011, 04:02:00 PM

I will come out and say confidently, that no team in the AFL fears Port Adelaide.
Seconded.

PowerBug

I see two different comments from Cruiseon here.

I will come out and say confidently, that Collingwood as a club do not fear Port Adelaide.
Of course they don't fear Port Adelaide.
But from this comment:

Quote from: Sid on July 13, 2011, 05:38:41 PM

I will come out and say confidently, that no team in the AFL fears Port Adelaide.
Seconded.
That is wrong coz Adelaide are shower scared of us.

roo boys!

I will come out and say confidently, that no team in the AFL/VFL/Local U/10's comp fears Port Adelaide.
Seconded.
I agree with you.

McRooster

Cruiseon

So Roost, you reckon Central Districts would give the Pies a better run than the Crows & Port? Probably almost true.

McRooster

9 out of the last 11 SANFL Premierships proves they are a force to be reckoned with historically.

It is the fact that Roy Laird has managed to instill in his pack that hunger and desire every September that has been severely lacking at West Lakes and Alberton for many years that sets them apart.

Roy Laird is the SANFL equivalent of MM, both have managed to extract the most out of an ordinary group and fired them most when the embers needed prodding.

The difference is that Roy is still smouldering after 7 out of 8 years at the top. (Centrals other two premier Coaches in this era were Peter Jonas and some bloke called Alistair Clarkson)

bomberboy0618

Quote from: roo boys! on July 17, 2011, 10:06:12 PM

I will come out and say confidently, that no team in the AFL/VFL/Local U/10's/ comp fears Port Adelaide.
Seconded.
I agree with you.
Ditto.

Master Q

Is everyone overlooking the inconsistent, highflying, mighty

WEST COAST EAGLES

Holz

Alot of teams pose risky sydney for 1 has played 2 decent games againt them, I also think a smoky like stkilda could worry alot of teams. I would say Gellong with Selwood are the biggest worry followed by carlton.

8-6 Suited

Quote from: Holzman on July 20, 2011, 07:30:11 AM
Alot of teams pose risky sydney for 1 has played 2 decent games againt them, I also think a smoky like stkilda could worry alot of teams. I would say Gellong with Selwood are the biggest worry followed by carlton.

With Dawes in, Carlton don't pose a problem. Plus they don't have the key forwards to threaten us either. Geelong would be the only worry I think.