Lessons Learnt

Started by Junktimer, July 11, 2011, 11:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junktimer

Around this time of the year is where one could reflect on how they have gone so far.  What went right, what went wrong.  I think that a game like Supercoach is all about identifying your mistakes and learning from them.  I did something similar to this last year, and it has improved my rank yonks.  (2010: 21,710, 2011: 963).  So this thread is for us to write down some lessons we have learnt by mentioning the mistakes we made, to help us not only for the rest of this year, but for 2012 and beyond.

Ill start.

When in doubt, always choose a mature age rookie over a kid.  (Chose Atley over Curnow.)

When in doubt, always go the proven performer over an unproven.  (Chose Everitt over Adcock)

With the new sub rule implemented and the subsequent rise of ruckman, look for a cheap #1 ruckman at a club.  (2010 Shane Mumford, 2011 Todd Goldstein, 2012 Hamish McIntosh at Tigers?)

Utilise the F/R MPP.  (Many would have had Sandilands and Smith out in Rd 13, as well as Sandi and Cox in Rd 15, Petrie to switch with Joel Tippett would have been perfect.)

MPP everywhere!  (Can't guess how many donuts i would have been eating had I not had it.)

Add your own, lets see how much more knowledge we can acquire.

Cheers, JT

Macman5005

Go Premiums and Rookies not many midpricers work out!

Junktimer

Interesting point.  Though Fyfe, Adcock, Cotchin, Yarran and many more have been good.

They are a risk, but they can pay off.

I think in 2012 they may be even more important as we will be strapped for cash with the MN rising.  We were spoiled this year.

jabroni

First year SC and i am playing DT concurrently and have to say money in SC is so much more vital as prices can fluctuate quite wildy in the blink of an eye

agree with all the other points - premiums and rookies for me next year, no more foleys

Edge

ive learnt to go with my first instinct instead of second guessing myself and asking people on these forums what they suggest

a) i would have traded sandi when he first got injured
b) wouldnt have picked atley/gaff/richardson

last year i learnt not to trade to early as more injuries happen later in the year and also more players get rested if their team is no chance of playing finals

and next year i plan on choosing a premium midfield, and backline and choose rookies/midprice players in rucks and forwards... and with 20 + trades ? next year, it will be plenty to upgrade by the end of the year

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Edge on July 12, 2011, 01:04:43 AM
and next year i plan on choosing a premium midfield, and backline and choose rookies/midprice players in rucks and forwards... and with 20 + trades ? next year, it will be plenty to upgrade by the end of the year
I went a 5 premium midfield and did quite well. Selwood, Pendles, Murphy, Boyd and A. Swallow which worked a treat :D. When the multi bye came around, all of them fired which pushed me up quite a bit overall :D.

Went with Ryder in the Ruck and in hindsight, too much time up forward hurt his scoring :(. Probably go 1 Premium and 1 up and comer next season in the ruck. Will save the cash for that little extra risk.

Research deeper into rookies than this season :P. Didn't get on Curnow as well as maybe another 2-3. Not to mention some trade down targets not panning out (especially in DT).

*Peace Out Pplz.

BillyPil

Pay attention to pre-season media in terms of who they are talking up, especially if it's a kid training a lot stronger after only one or two seasons. It helped that I had the WA media to follow, but they were talking up Fyfe in a big way before the season started.
Remember - they are looking for a breakout star just as much as we are.

ronl

No matter how much you try to rationalize it, do not choose anyone who has not had a full and successful pre-season - Didak and Chapman are two good examples this year.  The same holds true for selecting injury prone players - the likes of Higgins, Adcock, Drummond, Rioli - yes, they can all be matchwinners on their day but is it really worth wasting trades on them?

Junktimer

Some great points there guys

BillyBass

Don't trade in Jack Riewoldt at R6 thinking that he will end up being a premium scorer!!

nathan11

dont take risks on flashy forwards :)  and as it is my first year i have learnt how fast you can run out of trades

PICCOLLO

Always look to upgrade your midfield first as these are the players that score the most points.  Be patient and dont be afraid to spend money to get top players. Anyone without ablett and pendles by now is at a distinct disadvantage.  Mid price players are high risk but high reward.  In sc, teams that heavily rely on players are the ones to pick.  Stk, coll, geel and carlton rely heavily on a top 4-6 and they get all the points.  Not to mention they win a lot of games.

jasonweare

McEvoy having a streak of lower scoring rounds and been dropped. upgrading him to sandi, usually guarantee of 100+ every week, then hurting his toe that same week. And McEvoy having break out rounds ever since. Pretty much sums it all up

Locinator

Quote from: jasonweare on July 12, 2011, 10:43:30 PM
McEvoy having a streak of lower scoring rounds and been dropped. upgrading him to sandi, usually guarantee of 100+ every week, then hurting his toe that same week. And McEvoy having break out rounds ever since. Pretty much sums it all up
Happened to Me too! :(

dons95

Just because a player had a dud week (Yarran's round 1) do not immedietely offload him (got J.Riewoldt, Riewoldt followed up with his solid 0 and Yarran got 100 something)

When someone is having an absolute blinder of a year DO NOT DOUBT HIM (Pendlebury) You should generally keep your captain as someone who can churn out consistent 120+ or who seldom goes under triple digits.  i chose a risky option by making sandy captain the week he returned, injured his toe, got 40 something and i lost the match by 20 points.