Main Menu

Just How Good IS Collingwood?

Started by bunyip, July 10, 2011, 06:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

It looks to me that Collingwood have reached a point where pretenders draw a line through Collingwood when it's their turn to play them and say "OK, we'll lose this one, but we'll try REAL hard the following week"
In Geelongs best years, EVERY team gave themselves a chance of beating us. I'm sick of it. Have Collingwood intimidated the other teams to such an extent that they give up before they even run out onto the ground?

ossie85

I seem to remember 2008 that Geelong had this invisibility about them for most games!

The roos have proven again and again they fail against top teams, wouldn't read into it too much.

In fact, there is a very big gap in quality between teams this year. 5 teams can win the flag, don't worry about that. Can't believe one of them is the spooner from last year

AFEV

Quote from: ossie85 on July 10, 2011, 06:22:20 PM
In fact, there is a very big gap in quality between teams this year. 5 teams can win the flag, don't worry about that. Can't believe one of them is the spooner from last year
I really want the Eagles to do it.
Would be an unbelievable turn around :P

Similar to the way Collingwood won the spoon and the flag in the same year ;)

ossie85

That was Fitzroy! But, it would be cool

AFEV

Quote from: ossie85 on July 10, 2011, 09:33:03 PM

That was Fitzroy! But, it would be cool
*facepalm
Sorry Os.
12 hours of sleep in the last 96 hours doesn't agree with me X_X

Cruiseon

We came close Sid, bottom in 1976 and then drawn GF in 1977, just couldn't pull off the replay.

If the Grand Final was played today the Pies would be unbelievably short price to win, probably because we are amongst the most dominant machines the game has seen in awhile BUT ....... it's July.

Anything can happen and that is why every Collingwood supporter will remain nervous until the season is over. Dawes out, ok no problem for now, if Jolly went down that would hurt, if Cloke or Reid got in trouble then there are serious issues.  Loving the team we have got, appreciating every moment mainly because, like anything in life, it can all disappear in a second.

Go Pies!

bunyip

The Pies have already proved that they have enough depth to cover most scenarios. What disappoints me about this season is the chasm that exists between Collingwood and all the other teams (including Geelong).
They aren't just beating everyone, they are belting them. It REALLY cheeses me off when teams and supporters run around, thumping their chests saying look at us, look at us, we beat Geelong. Fellas, sorry but Geelong have not been the bench mark for 2 years now.
I think we get to play the Pies in the last round, and believe me, I have never looked forward to a game as much. Both of us should be in top form, so, no excuses. I guarantee you one thing, the Cats will leave nothing on the ground after the game, they at least will have a red hot go.

Cruiseon

Bunyip I'm not so sure. By round 24 the Pies & Geelong are likely to have sewed up the top two positions (not being arrogant, just think this will occur) and it could be the case that the game is for moral points only.

You will recall of the two games the Pies have lost in 12 months one was the final round last year against Hawthorn when the Pies had top spot sewn up. We didn't do a mass resting of players, but it is ineviatble with a huge finals series ahead players are conscious of injury and suspension when there is no outcome to the game.

Personally I wish we played 2 or 3 weeks earlier then it would be no holes barred as you suggest. 

PowerBug

Aren't you forgetting the Cats game in Rd 9? Personally i think that the Pies v Cats in Rd 24 will the the decider for the minor premiership, I hope Collingwood win that.

Cruiseon

I've done a slight edit to rectify your correct comment Powerbug. 

PowerBug

I actually do hope Collingwood win. If Pies win and they play in the GF, then on recent history, last 8 years, they will not win. I know you're going to mention last year so, the last time Collingwood v St. Kilda played (prior to GF 1), Pies won. In GF 1, Pies did not win. In GF 2 last time they played was GF 1, draw. Thus GF 2 could go either way and the record is still going.

I hope that was clear coz i suck at english.

bunyip

I wish it was as simple as that. I have to disagree with you Cruis, I have a feeling that, at least in Geelongs case, something will depend on the result of our clash in R24. I believe what it will be is Geelongs position in the top4. I bet we have to win it to avoid playing Collingwood in the first final.
Not that it would worry me that much, but I must admit, I would love it if the Pies had to play Hawthorn in the first final. The fact is though, it doesn't matter how the draw pans out, you still have to win, no matter who you play.