2012 squad sizes / trades

Started by Spinking, July 07, 2011, 10:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinking

Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion on whether we will return to the 30 man squad and lose the additional trades for 2012?

While it's been nice to have the extra coverage / more opportunity to increase $ with cash cows, I think generally it has meant that most people have been able to develop better teams than previously, and led to some very similar lineups. Nearly everyone in my league has a similar midfield - Swan, Pendles, Boyd, Ablett, Mitchell, Murphy etc. where in the past only the best strategic coaches could afford all the premiums. 

Not sure whether it's a good or bad thing, but I think I preferred the old system...

ossie85

Yeah, I think it will be back to the old system.

Assuming 22 rounds, I think it will be 20 trades, 30 squad member.

What I think will change is that there will be 18 people in a league, to match the AFL. That way there will only be 1 "bye" round.

i too would like to see the trades back to 20.  stops the imposter to constantly trade to make there team better if they start with a crappy one.

but i like to see the squad size at 33.  with the stupid sub rule, clubs are resting players and players are getting injured more frequently.  need that extra coverage.

thatguy

Quote from: ossie85 on July 07, 2011, 12:24:11 PM

What I think will change is that there will be 18 people in a league, to match the AFL. That way there will only be 1 "bye" round.
why would there be a bye round?  ??? even amount of teams. last year there was no bye, will just be maybe a couple of split rounds so teams get a mid-season rest.

league matches will just go back to normal... first 3 weeks of season are not included then rounds 4-22 are for DT/SC matches

thatguy

Quote from: 709394 on July 07, 2011, 12:45:21 PM
i too would like to see the trades back to 20.  stops the imposter to constantly trade to make there team better if they start with a crappy one.

but i like to see the squad size at 33.  with the stupid sub rule, clubs are resting players and players are getting injured more frequently.  need that extra coverage.
i do agree with this. sub rule has changed the game!

daisycrazy

@thatguy - There will be 1 bye round because if there is 18 teams in your league, then you will have 17 opponents.  So 17 games + 4 weeks of fantasy league finals = 21 rounds.  So there is 1 round left over in a 22 round home and away fixture.

If they are going to revert to the old system, then chances are Round 1 will be the bye.

ossie85

Quote from: thatguy on July 07, 2011, 12:45:52 PM

why would there be a bye round?  ??? even amount of teams. last year there was no bye, will just be maybe a couple of split rounds so teams get a mid-season rest.

league matches will just go back to normal... first 3 weeks of season are not included then rounds 4-22 are for DT/SC matches

As daisycrazy said. I was a bit vague though. The old format had three 'bye' rounds at the start of the year.

Holz

Quote from: ossie85 on July 07, 2011, 01:30:34 PM
Quote from: thatguy on July 07, 2011, 12:45:52 PM

As daisycrazy said. I was a bit vague though. The old format had three 'bye' rounds at the start of the year.

could do something like grandfinal round 21 and 22 that could be fun. For me the sub rule has taken alot of the fun out of DT, its abit like just having mass injuries everyweek.

PowerBug

I hope it's a 24 round season with 20 trades, 16 people per league and 3 bye rounds at the start, and 2 before the finals, So 1,2,3,19,20. The sub rule might be scrapped end of year aswell.

ossie85

If the sub rule isn't scrapped at the end of the year, I'd like to see it added into DT/SC.

Where you select your 22 players like before, except you designate one as a sub. You can choose to activate this sub during the weekend (if he hasn't played) and replace him with anyone who has played already. You lose the score that the player your subbing off scored, and gain the score the player your subbing on does. So it is a bit of risk. I.e. the player you subbed off scored 50, but there is no guarantee the player you sub on will score above 50.

PowerBug

Quote from: ossie85 on July 08, 2011, 09:53:58 AM

If the sub rule isn't scrapped at the end of the year, I'd like to see it added into DT/SC.

Where you select your 22 players like before, except you designate one as a sub. You can choose to activate this sub during the weekend (if he hasn't played) and replace him with anyone who has played already. You lose the score that the player your subbing off scored, and gain the score the player your subbing on does. So it is a bit of risk. I.e. the player you subbed off scored 50, but there is no guarantee the player you sub on will score above 50.
That could work, so your sub would have to be a player from a Sunday team, or you should be allowed to activate the sub even if he's played.

ossie85

I don't think you should be able to activate the sub if he's played, it eliminates the risk IMO. It is tricky though. I guess everyone would just select Ablett as sub though.... so, needs some work I agree

This at least helps when you have a premium go down on 2 points.

Holz

Quote from: ossie85 on July 08, 2011, 11:17:55 AM

I don't think you should be able to activate the sub if he's played, it eliminates the risk IMO. It is tricky though. I guess everyone would just select Ablett as sub though.... so, needs some work I agree

This at least helps when you have a premium go down on 2 points.

i doubt they will do something like that, however at any time subbing a pler for a player who isnt playing wouldnt be too bad to cover late withdrawals. However i doubt they will do anything like this as DT is catered for the noobs who check their team for 5 minutes every week and pump out 1500s. I would love to see more emphasis on the DT gold or whatever it is where people pick players based on draft can do all crazy stuff like sub during games i.e jimmy is being tagged to death and hibberd is flying sub them at half time and get hibberds second half score. Make a game that people pay but is much more in depth for the serious players.

bundyboy

maybe i'm in the minority, but I actually like the sub rule.....not for DT, but for the game itself...

I'm hoping that DT accept the fact that subs are a killer for DT and real coaches don't give a rats about SC or DT.  so for purposes of fantasy footy, I hope we get the score of both your sub and the subbed player.....

33 I think with Subs still alive in AFL, more mpp classifications, and back to 20 trades.

Zarts

I prefer the sub rule, I've said it before and I'll say it again.

keeps things interesting :P