Main Menu

Positives from a solid win

Started by Cruiseon, July 04, 2011, 10:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiseon

I know the Hawks weren't at full strengh, and I know it's only July but I thought it was a really impressive win on Sunday. The Pies pulled up massively & whilst the Hawks fought it out the margin could easily have blown out hugely.

There were a heap of positives out of the game so thought I'd throw it out there, what were the main ones?

Let me start with a couple:

• The Pies really worked through the Hawks gameplan, were disciplined early and gradually picked it off piece by piece
  • Good to get Jolly back in. He needed to run but will be all the better for it.

ossie85

Key players playing in sinc.

Ben Reid and Travis Cloke were simply outstanding. Cloke providing a constant threat, while the Hawks could not get the ball past Reid (why was he allowed to roam free by the Hawks?!).

Jolly hugely important for structure. And when you have Cloke, Dawes (who had an off day), L Brown and Jolly rotating through the forward line, but are flexible enough to play other roles, the Hawks small defence simply had no chance.

Chris Tarrant, with help from Reid, Maxwell and O'Brien, contained Franklin superbly.

Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas and Ball played exceptionally well, again.

Davis and Shaw provided constant run out of defense...

Concerns? Simon Buckley's efficiency was way down, Andy K was down. In fact, some of the decision making wasn't great. Third quarters are still an issue for Collingwood also, let's not hide that fact.

bunyip

Come on guys, you were just lucky. The umpy kicked 10 goals for you.

Cruiseon

Sound like Bunyip is uncharacteristically a bit rattled - fair enough, I would be too given Friday night.  ;)

You are of course welcome to add to the topic at hand though Bunyip.

bunyip

Collingwood have yet to beat anyone above them on the ladder.

AFEV

Quote from: bunyip on July 04, 2011, 08:18:00 PM
They only had 1 shot and if you wanna bring umps into it ... ;)

bunyip

hey..........I completely agree with that decision. it was our turn to beat you anyway. Geeez guys, you can't win EVERY game, how boring would that be. Tell you what, if you like, you only have to lose 1 more game this year. There, I can't be fairer than that, can I.

Cruiseon

Quote from: bunyip on July 04, 2011, 08:18:00 PM

It's a good point Bunyip except the same can be said of Geelong. ;)

The main difference is that Collingwood are yet to lose to anyone below them on the ladder!

bunyip

You're argument would be valid Cruis if you were talking about anyone else. Since Geelong are on top of the ladder, it is possible only to lose to teams BELOW us. Until such time as we lose top position, you're statement is both obvious and, dare I say, pointless.
By the way, does that cat walking across the top of the screen annoy anyone else?

PowerBug

Two things. One bunyip is right. Two, ossie mentioned S.Bckley's efficiency was down. Big whoop, he scored 91 DT pts, that's all i care about.

Cruiseon

That's why DT is inferior to SC - I strongly suspect he'll be dropped for Ben Johnson this week.

bunyip

PowerBug

Quote from: Cruiseon on July 06, 2011, 02:51:00 PM

That's why DT is inferior to SC - I strongly suspect he'll be dropped for Ben Johnson this week.
Nah, his name is Buckley.