Main Menu

Your Clubs Top 10: Kangaroos

Started by Maca24, July 01, 2011, 03:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maca24

Hey guys, Here is my opinion of North Melbournes Top 10 players based on this years form and next years potential.
Alot of my decisions are based on stats, so please read my reasoning.
Please share you thoughts and criticisms, as I found it very hard to split this list..  :)

NORTH MELBOURNE

10. Leigh Adams
Adams is the hard nut of the side, who enjoys the inside contest. 0 running bounces this year proves this!
#3 in Inside 50's at the club. Like this bloke, and I think he has the capacity to step it up even more next year.

9. Jack Ziebell
Young star on the rise. Works hard in the middle of the ground and is a good support to his teammates.
Has a lot of potential for next year. #2 at the club in Tackles is great.

8. Aaron Edwards
Big bloke who has struggled at the top level until his breakout season this year.
#2 most goals kicked at the club.  24.2 for the year! Thats some straight kicking. 77% conversion rate.
Reason he isnt higher on my list is because he has only taken 11 contested marks this year.
His a big bloke, so id expect more. He also struggles against the top backman, so if he can find more consistency in his game he will definitely move up. Having a great year.

7. Brady Rawlings
The wily fox still has it. #2 at the club for disposals. #3 at the club in marks taken.
Think Brady provides good leadership, but you would have2 think he would slow down next year.
(He will probably prove me wrong)

6. Todd Goldstein
Number 1 ruckman for the roos this year and has been great in HMacs absence.
He is only young so has alot of potential for next year. His skills arent the best but he works hard around the ground.
Not much else to say really, besides kangas would be in a bit of strife without him.

5. Brent Harvey
Deserves to be higher, but remember this is also based on next years potential.
#4 in Disposals, and #3 in Goals with 21.
35 Running bounces this year  ??? That would have2 be up there in the league.
The old workhorse always proves his critics wrong, and still is playing great footy at 33/34.

4. Scott D Thompson
Underrated player, shuts down the smalls and talls.
Easily #1 at the club in 1 percenters. #2 in Rebound 50's. #3 in Contested Possesions.
I always appreciate the main backman, and Thommo never dissapoints.

3. Daniel Wells
Has always failed to live up to his potential, until now.
#1 in Kicks, #1 in Inside 50's and is finding some consistency in his game and is starting to deal with tags.
Wells IMO is the the 2nd biggest reason why the kangas are on a winning streak.

2. Drew Petrie
And here is the Number 1 reason. Has missed a few games but has still been fantastic.
#1 in Goals with 28. His marking has been unreal.
#1 in Marks, #1 in Contested Marks with 37. #1 in Marks Inside 50 with 30.
Petrie is the real deal.

1. Andrew Swallow
Cant go past Mr.Consistency. Doesn't matter what form the kangas are in cas he always performs.
#1 in Disposals, 182 Contested Possesions! #1 at the club by 80.
#2 in Inside 50s. Still young but so mature. Definitely the core of the kangas midfield for now and the future.

The list is done! Pick it apart :P

ossie85

Lack of defenders in that list! Some aren't half bad.

Would put Goldstein up higher than Rawlings... and Boomer still has to be #1 I think, albeit just

Maca24

Quote from: ossie85 on July 01, 2011, 03:56:02 PM

Lack of defenders in that list! Some aren't half bad.

Would put Goldstein up higher than Rawlings... and Boomer still has to be #1 I think, albeit just
No other defenders are worthy! Yes harsh on Boomer.

LaHug

Would put Wells as number one (if not Boomer). Absolutely killing it and looking like THE reason North is back on the map in terms of football.

Maca24

Quote from: LaHug on July 01, 2011, 04:04:47 PM
Would put Wells as number one (if not Boomer). Absolutely killing it and looking like THE reason North is back on the map in terms of football.
yeh wells and petrie definitely the reason. Swallow is just the man though IMO.

North Melbournes Finest

1. Wells
2. Swallow
3. Todd Goldstein
4. Scott Thompson
5. Drew Petrie
6. Brent Harvey
7. Jack Ziebell
8. Aaron Edwards
9. Leigh Adams
10. Michael Firrito

On the fringe Cameron Pedersen, whenever this guy's played (besides Geelong game) I've been mightly impressed, he's got strong hands and work rate. An ability to win the contested ball when it's around him and atleast bring the ball to ground is fantastic. If the Kangas can keep playing him and getting games into him I'd love to say that for the next couple of years the forwardline trio of

Petrie/Edwards/Pedersen is going to be a great one.

I could not put Brady Rawlings in my list at all, he really has lost the plot. He's got an amazing ability to turn the ball over almost half the time he touches it. He gets so many disposals because Kangaroos always go from one wing, chip it back to full back and try and go across the other, Brady is always the link player and it's so annoying. I heard a stat a few weeks ago, when Brady Rawlings has 30 touches or more we only win something like 20-25% of those games. It just shows home much he stuffs it up.

Maca24

Thanks NMF. Similar to my list minus rawlings.
Petrie at 5 though?

North Melbournes Finest

Quote from: Maca24 on July 01, 2011, 04:22:44 PM
Petrie at 5 though?
Yes, I believe you could make a case for all the 4 before him to be All Australian.

Wells - Will make All Australian
Swallow - Has been amazing
Todd Goldstein - In the absence of Aaron Sandilands has been the 2nd best ruckmen all year only behind Dean Cox
Scott Thompson - I think this guy has almost been North's most influential player all year, he's actually been amazing and overstepped any expectations that I've had. His quick pace, ball winning ability, and ability to shut down an opponent this year has been clearly overlooked by many so called "experts".

While Petrie has been great, I think the top 7 players for the Kangas are all around even, and then after that you see a massive drop off in production for our team. After Ziebell there's a tonne of inconsistency from the rest.

Maca24

Fair enough. I think ill swap Goldy with Rawlings actually in hindsight.

roo boys!

Swallow is a bloody legend.

Yeah Goldy deserves to go before Rawlings. Goldy is right up there (I think he is about 3rd in the league?) for hitouts this season, lots of which are to advantage.

Quote from: North Melbournes Finest on July 01, 2011, 04:27:22 PM
Quote from: Maca24 on July 01, 2011, 04:22:44 PM
Petrie at 5 though?
While Petrie has been great, I think the top 7 players for the Kangas are all around even, and then after that you see a massive drop off in production for our team. After Ziebell there's a tonne of inconsistency from the rest.
Ziebell isn't all that consistent either.

North Melbournes Finest

Yeah I didn't feel Ziebell was consistent through the first maybe 9-10 rounds, but I think he's been amazing around the clearances lately. Also I think that's because we've finally got a consistent midfield rotation.

Our best is:

Goldstein - Ziebell/Swallow/Wells

Our backups are:

Pedersen/Petrie - Cunnington/Adams/Greenwood

So the two sets of midfield groups are getting some consistency and that's helping them gel, I just hope Cunnington gets much better in the next couple of years.

roo boys!

Also Atley with some real dash on the wings. Great outside player.

Cunnington will get heaps better.

Holz

i can see HMAC (if he is still around) and Bati pushing some of these guys out of the top 10 next year, those guys are guns.

North Melbournes Finest

Levi Greenwood wouldn't be far away either.

roo boys!

Quote from: North Melbournes Finest on July 02, 2011, 02:04:00 PM
Levi Greenwood wouldn't be far away either.
For next year? I certainly agree. CRITICAL player.