"Going for overall"

Started by LaHug, June 30, 2011, 03:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaHug

I see a lot of posts on this site and others about people stopping going for overall and starting to go for league because they're "too far off first" or "out of the race". Now, this is all well and good if you actually just want to focus on a league win, but why does "going for overall" have to mean trying to finish first?
I, for one, have been, and will be, going for overall every year in DT no matter where I'm ranked.
Currently, I'm ranked 5,113 but was 20,058 three weeks ago and as far off the pace as 71,309 after the second round!
Clearly, I'd make to perform a miracle to win the car, but it's not going to stop me trying my best to be ranked as close to number one as possible! I will be taking the multi-bye rounds as seriously as every other round, trying to take advantage and move up in the rankings.
All I'm saying is, "going for overall" doesn't mean giving up the moment you're out of contention for the number one spot. Keep striving for greatness and make every round count!
Just my two cents.

upthemaidens

i think the shift from overall to league focus can be pretty subtle, could be just picking one premium over another because of the multi-bye factor
  going for league start saving trades, going for overall burn trades when needed

i still want the highest rank possible just so i can be in the elite leagues next year :)

Holz

i agree i never expect to win so i when i say going for overall it just menas get my higest rank possible, was looking good when i was 2500 2 weeks ago im now outside the top 5000 due to bartels fantastic score of 2 and a donut this week. Pity he is one of my favourite players, i wll probably get him next year again. My aim this year to beat my 555 of last year, going to be a struggle.

korza

Great reading guys, below is a thread i put up last week or so, things can quickly go your way, even if your ready to quit. 

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,39344.0.html

KORZA

elephants

I've been fixed on overall all year and despite being 20 spots outside the top 1k i'm still going.

Fenno

I think some people have just changed focus. Im still in the Eliminator so all efforts will be on winning that even if it means dropping spots overall. I know what you mean by trying to finish as high as possible overall but I also understand why some people give up on overall position and focus on on the league win.

LaHug

Good responses from everyone, guys!
I love a lively discussion :)

elephants

Also people in cash leagues will just load up on multi bye teams (no league games).
They'll have a forward line with Pav, Fyfe, Sylvia, Callinan, Mzungu, Howe and they'll still be in a good position to win their league despite a poor 'overall' score that week. Definitely different tactics depending on your goals. 

LaHug

I like to do well in both and, after a shocking start, am still in 9th place in my league (even though I'm scoring 100+ more than everyone over the last three weeks). Very few multi-bye players but also shouldn't be in trouble for any single byes other than the Hawks one :S
And who knows? If I pump out a few 2300s in the two multi-bye rounds, my ranking could sky-rocket! ;)

upthemaidens

very different tactics between the two goals,, and this year with the multi-byes its even more so.
  this is the first year i havnt had a cash league,,,  normally just scrape top 20k or so, this year im in the top 0%
no keeping 10 trades for the last 5 weeks this season

Andrew

Quote from: upthemaidens on June 30, 2011, 02:41:41 PM
very different tactics between the two goals,, and this year with the multi-byes its even more so.

+1. People going for League avoided Cartlon & Geelong players like the plague, much to the detriment of their Overall ranking.

Windigo

I could go bermuda all year and come back & after DT has finished and still win my league I made with my mates from school.  :P

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: Windigo on June 30, 2011, 09:52:46 PM
I could go bermuda all year and come back & after DT has finished and still win my league I made with my mates from school.  :P

Do it - for the sake of science of course!

I'll be going for overall but am in a work league that I want to win also will be making my judgement for the remainder of the season based on those goals.

CFC 1979

Quote from: LaHug on June 30, 2011, 03:40:57 AM
I see a lot of posts on this site and others about people stopping going for overall and starting to go for league because they're "too far off first" or "out of the race". Now, this is all well and good if you actually just want to focus on a league win, but why does "going for overall" have to mean trying to finish first?
I, for one, have been, and will be, going for overall every year in DT no matter where I'm ranked.
Currently, I'm ranked 5,113 but was 20,058 three weeks ago and as far off the pace as 71,309 after the second round!
Clearly, I'd make to perform a miracle to win the car, but it's not going to stop me trying my best to be ranked as close to number one as possible! I will be taking the multi-bye rounds as seriously as every other round, trying to take advantage and move up in the rankings.
All I'm saying is, "going for overall" doesn't mean giving up the moment you're out of contention for the number one spot. Keep striving for greatness and make every round count!
Just my two cents.

unfortunatly i've gone the other way

can you go for last :o

chatters24

I play for overall most of the time. And this is ok, because in doing so my score's are usually pretty good and I can manage to do well in the leagues. Now that I have my team set I will just spead my trades out as I won't win the car, but will still look to use them to push my way up the overall standings.