Main Menu

Trade Talk

Started by The return, June 27, 2011, 09:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The return

This is a thread were all you can talk bout Essendon's trade talk.

Paddy Ryder i heard but dont no much of?

I also saw that Bernie Vince might come to essendon

Steven Selopek to come back to Melbourne? wouldnt mind seeing him in a Essendon top! great player

Hawka

i think bellchambers or ryder will go
and brett prismall will prob go to gws or another club

Jas 13

Wondering if Spike (30) and Welsh (28) would be worth anything to GWS?
Wouldn’t think they’d be there when our window ‘opens’ so is it time to offload?????
Vince would be a good addition to our midfield.
Rich worth looking at?

pothead

Quote from: hawka26 on June 28, 2011, 08:37:29 AM
i think bellchambers or ryder will go
and brett prismall will prob go to gws or another club
I thought bellchambers had already resigned but i reckon ryder could go.

AFEV

If they don't start playing Ryder in the ruck/down back he is as good as gone. You can tell he doesn't like it there and playing there has shattered his confidence.
I'd be OK with Welsh hasn't been the same since that ankle, I reckon Spike can offer something to the team for another year or 2, I'd want something for him and I'd doubt Jimmy would want him to leave the club.
Prismall has been shafted for a second time, I reckon he'll go to GWS where he is just about guaranteed to get a run. So much talent and ability but doesn't really seem to fit into our midfield :\

I'd love to pick up Vince, if he could get back to his '09 form with us it would be a HUGE help, we really need someone other than Jobe & Heath so that we can start to build a core midfield.

Salopek would certainly be a good addition as well.
Rich would be a dream, him kicking long onto Hurleys chest would help us a lot. I'd love to get him but I doubt it.

Jas 13

Quote from: Sid on June 28, 2011, 01:13:54 PM
If they don't start playing Ryder in the ruck/down back he is as good as gone. You can tell he doesn't like it there and playing there has shattered his confidence.
I'd be OK with Welsh hasn't been the same since that ankle, I reckon Spike can offer something to the team for another year or 2, I'd want something for him and I'd doubt Jimmy would want him to leave the club.
Prismall has been shafted for a second time, I reckon he'll go to GWS where he is just about guaranteed to get a run. So much talent and ability but doesn't really seem to fit into our midfield :\

I'd love to pick up Vince, if he could get back to his '09 form with us it would be a HUGE help, we really need someone other than Jobe & Heath so that we can start to build a core midfield.

Rich would be a dream, him kicking long onto Hurleys chest would help us a lot. I'd love to get him but I doubt it.

The biggest problem with pris is that he is not quick enough - leg speed or decision making.
With Howlett, Jobe, Hocking, Lonergan, Melksham, Pris through the guts we are too one-dimensional and don’t have any one of a decent build with genuine pace to break the lines.

Pris will go for sure

AFEV

Quote from: Jas 13 on June 28, 2011, 01:38:20 PM
The biggest problem with pris is that he is not quick enough - leg speed or decision making.
With Howlett, Jobe, Hocking, Lonergan, Melksham, Pris through the guts we are too one-dimensional and don’t have any one of a decent build with genuine pace to break the lines.

Pris will go for sure
Agreed. That is one of the big reasons Winderlich/Dempsey were 2 of the worst players we could have lost. We aren't as quick as people seem to think, so when we lost 2 of our best outside runners things were looking pretty grim.

eski_liddr

Quote from: Sid on June 28, 2011, 01:13:54 PM

exactly, although there's a few players that are not showing heart, although I love spike I believe that we may be better off trading him to GWS for future opportunities..he just doesnt look the same and the way hird is playing him I dont see many positives.

also I used to play with Steven and know that he does want to return to Melbourne but its a 50/50.

With the set back of his parents passing away has made him regret not moving back sooner and I'm sure a little hesitant to come back and have the memories come back when traveling through the ol neighbourhood... Really hurt him hard... but his a top player and I'm sure would do very well at essendon.

GWS - has had their eye on some of our vfl players too! bit worried about that! (scout been spotted at a Bendigo game a few weeks ago)

Luigi197

We need more premium depth.
More people who opponents can be scared of and worried to tag.

Though, i guess this is good and bad, we have lots of emerging and improving players, but atm they are not at their prime, and in the future they will be.

Jas 13

Before I start, let me say I am as passionate about the dons as anybody but I tried to look at our list objectively.
Here are my thoughts.

Trade Bait:
Stanton
Monfries
Lonergan

Happy to give up any of these guys if it meant getting an A-Grade midfielder or 2.
Just as happy if they remain.

Trade:
Prismall (GWS)
H.Slattery â€" One dimensional, does a “fair” job on the small forward, doesn’t offer much running off his man
M. Williams â€" not justifying his salary
Lovett-Murray â€" doesn’t seem to have the impact he once had, still holds currency on the trade table I believe
McVeigh â€" Seems a bit disinterested, Might have something to offer GWS in a leadership role

Cut:
Dyson â€" Works hard but is a bit of a list clogger
Welsh â€" Game has passed him
Neagle
T.Slattery
Quinn

Retire:
Fletcher â€" Gadget has been such a great servant over the years but it’s time he passed his spot onto a younger player at the end of the season. Having said that he should go out on his own terms, don’t want him “pushed”.

These are just my thoughts of course â€" no one can deny that our list needs some work!

Justin Bieber

I actually don't mind your suggestions Jas!

Agree with the trade bait although reckon Lonergan is a pretty good player for us. He's our tagger along with Hocking, and he provides good support to Watson when the ruckman is tapping it down.
Stanton, I'm not sure what's happened to him but could get quite a bit for him. Same with Monfries, although he is probably near the top of our performing forwards.

Agree with the Trade/Cuts. Welsh could be traded off maybe although doesn't hold much currency. Quinn is suppose to be touted highly by those at Essendon so doubt he'd get cut, although he hasn't shown a whole lot at AFL level. Henry Slattery gets so much flack :P. He isn't a skillful player but he is a hard worker and that's why he remains in the team, he can do his job most weeks.

Boomz

Agree with most of that and if you had asked me last year I would've agreed about Lonergan but no way should we be putting him on the table... Monfries I agree with.

I'm not a massive fan of Stanton but he is a very important player to the team structure & will never get traded unless he asks to be... I disagree about T Slattery... Thought it was a harsh call to cut him last year after he had a pretty good debut and got dropped straight away. Has been in good form for bendigo & with feltch likely to retire he's a handy player to have in the wings.

Jas 13

Quote from: Hellopplz on June 29, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

Agree with the trade bait although reckon Lonergan is a pretty good player for us. He's our tagger along with Hocking, and he provides good support to Watson when the ruckman is tapping it down.
Stanton, I'm not sure what's happened to him but could get quite a bit for him. Same with Monfries, although he is probably near the top of our performing forwards.

Agree with the Trade/Cuts. Welsh could be traded off maybe although doesn't hold much currency. Quinn is suppose to be touted highly by those at Essendon so doubt he'd get cut, although he hasn't shown a whole lot at AFL level. Henry Slattery gets so much flack :P. He isn't a skillful player but he is a hard worker and that's why he remains in the team, he can do his job most weeks.

As I stated would be happy to keep Lonergan but if it meant the difference between getting an A Grade mid - I think he's expendable cause howlett and hocking can play a similar role.

I know Slattery cops a lot of flack and he works hard but i could see a kid, trained properly in the position, do a better job.
I wonder if Port Adelaide would be keen on him as part of a deal for Salopek.....

Boomz

Quote from: Jas 13 on June 29, 2011, 03:42:34 PM
Quote from: Hellopplz on June 29, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

As I stated would be happy to keep Lonergan but if it meant the difference between getting an A Grade mid - I think he's expendable cause howlett and hocking can play a similar role.

I know Slattery cops a lot of flack and he works hard but i could see a kid, trained properly in the position, do a better job.
I wonder if Port Adelaide would be keen on him as part of a deal for Salopek.....

Think Browne could do that role quite well. Would he want to go back to Adelaide though?  :-X I'm not really a big fan of Salopek tbh... overrated.

Justin Bieber

I kinda think Salopek is kinda like a Stanton type player. Can kick but has something holding him back (Stants has his confidence while Salopek his injuries). Agree Stanton won't be traded but he HAS to play midfield rather than back pocket where he can't have as big of an impact.

Howlett I like :D. Hocking though, along with Lonergan, are our taggers. We don't really have anybody else with shot down ability, with these two not being shut down players but rather run with players. Could even throw Henry Slatery into the tagging category/shut down role which may be another reason he's kept in.

We really need to recruit a tagger as well as some runners :-\.