Sherman Banned for racial vilification

Started by LF, June 27, 2011, 04:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopps

is it a bulldogs suspension? would of thought he wouldnt be playing football all together

Bazinga

I'm not sure Chopps, maybe it is a doggies imposed suspension. But I don't understand how members of the general public who racially abuse players get suspended from attending AFL games for up to 12 months, yet an AFL player gets 'hidden' in the VFL for the same offence   ???   The players are the ones who should be setting the example.

eski_liddr

Quote from: Bazinga on June 28, 2011, 11:27:14 AM
I'm not sure Chopps, maybe it is a doggies imposed suspension. But I don't understand how members of the general public who racially abuse players get suspended from attending AFL games for up to 12 months, yet an AFL player gets 'hidden' in the VFL for the same offence   ???   The players are the ones who should be setting the example.

Exactly! It's ludicrous that we are even discussing this, in any profession it would be instant dismissal.
I believe he should be given the penalty of NO FOOTY and have to publicly apologize in front of the Australian media. He needs to front up and be fully exposed and shamed.

Regarding the comments "Majority Australians are racist" - I believe there may be more concentrations of racism in country footy but growing up in the southeast (Noble Park) we hardly ever had an issue (bar one game..and the spectator was put in their place immediately) I think it depends on where you are and If the local community is cultured.

LF

eski_liddr

Quote from: luvfooty on June 28, 2011, 04:01:04 PM
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/junior-afl-game-spectator-banned-over-racial-abuse/story-e6frfku0-1226083523201

an example of this kind of thing in junior footy.
but from a spectator.
bloody disgraceful.

Unfortunately that shows exactly what I believe - some country fellas are still a fair way back from progressing like us "city folk" haha... all puns aside though

It's real unfortunate as I've had acquaintances through employment in country W.A (and I've lived there) and that type of attitude is still thriving amoung small communities without much multicultural influence... It may be time where we need to adopt an anti-racism campaign in underage footy! focusing on country leagues as that seems to be a big problem!
At the end of the day it will shy away people of different ethnicities if this continues... Even the bloody NRL dosent have this much of a problem..at look at some of the bad publicity going on in that sport!