Main Menu

Bellchambers Talk

Started by Luigi197, June 26, 2011, 10:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maca24

I dont mind the faith in Ryder, as we all know what he is capable of plus he is young.
Its just why keep Hille who has been doing nothing and is old. Great clubman who has had a great career but Hirdy needs to make the hard calls.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Cruiseon on July 01, 2011, 01:18:33 PM
Back on topic I went to the game for a couple of quarters last Friday and I can tell you, its official Essendon now have  genuine problems as a club. It has nothing to do with the players (young list, learning etc) but with Hird himself - the first genuine crack I've seen. He continues to back Ryder on all fronts, saying he will play him all year, that it is not about desire but running to the right spots (?) which again is fine BUT....... Bellchambers was one of the Bombers best in a losing side last week, he is only 22, and his effort was 3 times better than Hille and 4 times better than Ryder. I thought he was very good.

Hird now seems to have favourites who he backs unconditionally, whilst one of the emerging young guys who gave his all finds himself back in the VFL. To me that is genuine problem. Juggling 3 big men may not be a problem soon down at Essendon.
I think you're right Cruis. I rate Big Bell highly this season and if he had played throughout, could be a potential top 5 B&F this season. I can understand backing Ryder but surely not as a forward. That experiment is just killing him as a player. Hille can play forward instead as he's been known to have a better sense in the 50 than Ryder. Bell is just a machine and see no point in dropping him back to the VFL if he's able to perform well at AFL level.

Don't think Hird wants to change his views on where his players SHOULD play under him :-\.

AFEV

HELL NO!
I think you are right Cruis, this is showing a little bit too much loyalty to his players, and is no doubt favoring players he knew and liked through his playing career.

bunyip

Hirdy is doing exactly the right thing by his players. David is first ruck unless injured, Patrick is second ruck, or forward pocket, and Bells is third in line.
If Hirdy doesn't want to play 3 rucks, (and who would) then Bells is the one that misses out.
You don't drop veterans like David Hille to the twos on form, they either play or they don't. Ryder is an established senior player and has earn't the respect of the coaches.
Ryder's form and confidence is low at the moment, but the coaches will help him through it, not by dropping him, but by looking at what he's doing wrong and getting it right. He only needs one good quarter and his confidence will be back. I think you guys worry too much.

AFEV

Thing is though, he had no grounds to drop Belly.

bunyip

Quote from: bunyip on July 01, 2011, 06:34:44 PM
Hirdy is doing exactly the right thing by his players. David is first ruck unless injured, Patrick is second ruck, or forward pocket, and Bells is third in line.
If Hirdy doesn't want to play 3 rucks, (and who would) then Bells is the one that misses out.

AFEV

David is no our first ruck though, not any more. Our first, best, youngest and most in form ruckman has been dropped.

Maca24

Quote from: Sid on July 01, 2011, 07:26:12 PM
David is no our first ruck though, not any more. Our first, best, youngest and most in form ruckman has been dropped.
Exactly. He has no grounds to play Hille.
belly > Ryder > Hille. Thats the way it should be.

bunyip

What is and what should be. I they dropped Hilley and replaced him with Belly because Hilley has hit a patch of bad form, what does that say for the clubs loyalty.
If Ottens had a bad run, do you really think they would drop him to the reserves and replace him with Dawson Simpson?
Bomber said 1 or 2 seasons ago, I just forget now who he was referring to, "You don't play veterans in the reserves".
Hilley will come good, and if he doesn't, you OWE it to him to finish the season and retire gracefully. He deserves at least that.

AFEV

Hille is not really of use any more. Even in form I think Belly is as good as Hille, but he is 7-8 years younger.
Playing Hille at this point is purely because of what he has done, and ultimately this will be detrimental to the team.

Boomz

Quote from: bunyip on July 02, 2011, 02:45:20 PM
What is and what should be. I they dropped Hilley and replaced him with Belly because Hilley has hit a patch of bad form, what does that say for the clubs loyalty.
If Ottens had a bad run, do you really think they would drop him to the reserves and replace him with Dawson Simpson?
Bomber said 1 or 2 seasons ago, I just forget now who he was referring to, "You don't play veterans in the reserves".
Hilley will come good, and if he doesn't, you OWE it to him to finish the season and retire gracefully. He deserves at least that.

Don't agree with this at all. We have played favourites/veterans for far too long when they're out of form. Where has it gotten us?... No where. He's out of from and should have been dropped.

Perfect example -  Welsh, Hadn't played a game in months but came straight in and was shower then he got dropped/rested whatever they want to call it and didn't even play in the reserves and comes straight back in again the next week...

You can say all you want about loyalty etc but it's gotten us no where the last 10 years or so... I wasn't a Knights fan but at least he made some tough calls on some of our older players.

AFEV

For Sheedy brutality was the key to his success. In the years following the 84/85/93 wins he started to prepare for the next one instead of sharing drinks for the next decade, his mistake after 2000 was just this.

Luigi197

Quote from: Sid on July 02, 2011, 05:57:50 PM
For Sheedy brutality was the key to his success. In the years following the 84/85/93 wins he started to prepare for the next one instead of sharing drinks for the next decade, his mistake after 2000 was just this.

I very much like and agree with this analysis right here Alex :)

Maca24

Quote from: Luigi197 on July 02, 2011, 07:43:54 PM
Quote from: Sid on July 02, 2011, 05:57:50 PM

I very much like and agree with this analysis right here Alex :)
Yep. Sheedy was a knob at the trade table after 2000.
PS: Dyson Heppell, Great work mate hard work pays off.
Watch out for his brother Aaron in 2 years. Star forward pocket/on baller.  8)

Maca24

Quote from: Maca24 on July 01, 2011, 02:36:56 PM
I dont mind the faith in Ryder, as we all know what he is capable of plus he is young.
Its just why keep Hille who has been doing nothing and is old. Great clubman who has had a great career but Hirdy needs to make the hard calls.
Thats why you keep the faith in him. Was instrumental last night.
Hille did nothing, just another reason to get Bellchambers in.