DT/SC Betting - Who thinks m0nty should give FF an gambling element

Started by eski_liddr, June 23, 2011, 05:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eski_liddr

Alota money to be made in footy gambling and what better place than here!

Im on sportsbet at the moment but would love to see DT/SC betting...or the ability to bet your team vs another... anyway just an idea..

Who's keen for something like that? 

I've tried on sportsbet for SC but their shower odds and options..

Cheers!

m0nty

We've gone through this, I'm not in favour. Too many kids under 18 on this site for that.

Ziplock

Quote from: eski_liddr on June 23, 2011, 05:06:14 PM
Alota money to be made in footy gambling and what better place than here!

Im on sportsbet at the moment but would love to see DT/SC betting...or the ability to bet your team vs another... anyway just an idea..

Who's keen for something like that? 

I've tried on sportsbet for SC but their shower odds and options..

Cheers!

one of the things I think monty is aiming for is a site that is child, or minor, friendly. Unfortunately, a gambling element would detract from that goal.

Prospector_1

Quote from: m0nty on June 23, 2011, 06:22:15 PM
We've gone through this, I'm not in favour. Too many kids under 18 on this site for that.

It's true - there's other places that talk the bets. I get grumped about the amount of betting talk on the live chat!

This place, for better or worse, appeals to the kids. That's why it's so important for the more mature to be a bit understanding, to make an effort to be decent role-models.

Fenno

I agree I love a bet and will always have footy bets on but its not for FF and I never ever talk about my bets in chat no matter how much I have won. Many kids are in chat and its just not the place for gambling talk. I honestly think gambling talk should be bannable.

Ziplock

I don't think it should be bannable. It should be discouraged, but apart from that, doesn't really do any harm. It doesn't come up *that* often from what I've seen anyway...

Nails

I've seen on some forums 18+ sections where only 18 year olds can access...

What about one here? (similar to the coaches section) where registered users (if registered over 18) can access it and talk about bets there if they must and whatever else

BoredSaint

but no one can verify the actual age of users.. so that doesnt really work either.

ossie85

No more betting.

The government is cracking down on it, wouldn't start now

Holz

if you want to do that stuff maybee it would work on the DT talk site, they are sponsored by a beer company and a betting agency. Plus i would think a majority of users will just fake their age to get onto a 18+ section.

McRooster

I like a punt, but this is not the place for it  ;)

While your at it lads click on a couple of ads and help m0nty pay for this site  ;)

korza

Quote from: McRooster on June 25, 2011, 02:29:18 AM
I like a punt, but this is not the place for it  ;)

While your at it lads click on a couple of ads and help m0nty pay for this site  ;)

Just looked at the life insurance might sign up.

eski_liddr

Quote from: ossie85 on June 24, 2011, 11:20:25 AM

No more betting.

Cracking down on it???? Gosh it's plastered all over the place...including the advertising all over the grounds!...the footy show is absolutely blatant about it (which im sure is beefing up all bank accounts of those involved)...commentary comments on the odds all the time... if anything THIS YEAR its saturated the AFL... I'm all for it but on certain terms

Quote from: BoredSaint on June 24, 2011, 11:18:33 AM
but no one can verify the actual age of users.. so that doesnt really work either.
Quote from: Holzman on June 24, 2011, 01:41:27 PM
if you want to do that stuff maybee it would work on the DT talk site, they are sponsored by a beer company and a betting agency. Plus i would think a majority of users will just fake their age to get onto a 18+ section.

You would just have to go through the same process that you would on any other online gambling site. (which has age verification)

....BUT I now understand now that FF is targeted to the underage footy enthusiasts (as well as us adults) and that it could never work, appreciate the info provided...
As for the betting talk on live chat? Why not make it a bannable offense then? if its child friendly stuff we're looking for... do it!
But realize that the kids are already subjected to it 24/7 - if anything the language and "PUNS" are more vile then any gambling problem we have on live chat..

ossie85

Quote from: eski_liddr on June 28, 2011, 03:53:43 PM

No more betting.

Cracking down on it???? Gosh it's plastered all over the place...including the advertising all over the grounds!...the footy show is absolutely blatant about it (which im sure is beefing up all bank accounts of those involved)...commentary comments on the odds all the time... if anything THIS YEAR its saturated the AFL... I'm all for it but on certain terms

I agree that there is heaps of saturation, but the Government has said it will ban betting, if the media don't stop doing it by June 2012. If they don't do it, they'll backdate the laws to today, and they'll be fined.

So by June 2012 next year, you won't see it. Because atm it is disgusting

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/27/3228975.htm?site=adelaide

hawk_88

Quote from: ossie85 on June 28, 2011, 04:19:46 PM
Quote from: eski_liddr on June 28, 2011, 03:53:43 PM

No more betting.

I agree that there is heaps of saturation, but the Government has said it will ban betting, if the media don't stop doing it by June 2012. If they don't do it, they'll backdate the laws to today, and they'll be fined.

So by June 2012 next year, you won't see it. Because atm it is disgusting

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/27/3228975.htm?site=adelaide

Specifically it is live odds within programming that the government wants scaled back. Displaying odds on magazine shows mid week and pre-match is still on, and companies can still buy ad time and present live odds, but they can't integrate it with programming.