Pick one of these guns

Started by Memphistopheles, June 23, 2011, 02:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best captain choice this week?

Ablett
Boyd
Murphy
Mitchell
Swan

Memphistopheles

This week's captain choice is a tough one, but i think it has come down to a choice between Ablett and Boyd in my books.

For arguments sake I have included all five guns in my team in the poll.

They also happen to be Calvin's Captains top 5 - so lets get a consensus here people - who is the #1 captain choice this week?

Ablett
Boyd
Murphy
Mitchell
Swan

Cicjose

ossie85

swishy

i will forgive boyd and put him captain again....

Slap

I can appreciate what Calvin does,  but he claims that he is a genius.  Sure its helpful for those that don't do their research - which is all available on this FF site.  You can find out a player's average here, what there averages are on particular grounds, particular opponents and a group of people here even worked out how each section of the field scores against other teams.

Once again, I think DTT is a good and valuable site,  but there seems like too many people bagging the shower out of each other for my liking.  I stopped using the site this year.  That being said, it also doesn't take too much effort to realise who is performing well, and most of the time they are the players that feature in the Captains picks each week - these players are considered in the upper echelon of players in DT - well known to those in the DT community.

Although this seems like a rant and a bit of a stab at the DTT guys, its not.  My ultimate point is that they do a great job, however, I'd do some additional research and use your gut feeling rather than just pick according to the DTT rankings each week.  Stats don't include where the teams have travelled in the last month, GC have travelled a fair bit lately.  Or whether a player is fighting a niggle, if you know they have one.

Sure, use the Captains picks as a guide (like its meant to be used), but don't take it for gospel and get angry at it for being wrong.  Because it often is, although you forget about it because the spiel each week is how good the captain was with the 3 or 4 out of 5 picks he gets most weeks. 

Sorry for the rant.

I like Murphy this week against WCE.  WCE dont really shut down anyone, and considering Judd was an ex-eagle, I'd picture him getting the brunt of the attention early - allowing murph to get off to a flier.

Memphistopheles

Fair enough Slap.

Just thought as my five capt choices are exactly the same as Calvins Top 5 it would be a good topic/poll for discussion

I also prefer FF to DTT. I read the articles there but that's it.

Ablett is a runaway winner here anyway in the poll.

Interesting about Murphy, I am tempted.

But, as an Eagles fan I am hoping Woosha both Judd and Murphy with Scott and Adam Selwood respectively.

Teams need to shut down both if they want to beat Carlton i think, not just Judd. Sometime an opposition coach has to realise this and i'm hoping John will be that man.

Bedlam

From the choices, Ablett.

If you have him, Pendles.

thanme

Ablett will be my lock in captain until Swanny proves he's better :P

LF

swan defnately not until after a couple of games.
ablett or murphy.

Slap

Quote from: Memphistopheles on June 23, 2011, 02:45:17 PM
Fair enough Slap.

Just thought as my five capt choices are exactly the same as Calvins Top 5 it would be a good topic/poll for discussion

I also prefer FF to DTT. I read the articles there but that's it.

Ablett is a runaway winner here anyway in the poll.

Interesting about Murphy, I am tempted.

But, as an Eagles fan I am hoping Woosha both Judd and Murphy with Scott and Adam Selwood respectively.

Teams need to shut down both if they want to beat Carlton i think, not just Judd. Sometime an opposition coach has to realise this and i'm hoping John will be that man.

Na, it definitely warranted a discussion.  gave me a chance to vent a little haha 8)

I agree with your views.  You can't expect to win a game against a top team by shutting down their best player (Judd) and him only.  You need to be able to shut down 2/3 at least to have a shot, especially if your team isn't as skilful.

Eg.  Carlton, need to shut down Judd, Murphy, Gibbs - even Waite and Yarran to a lesser extent.
Eg. St Kilda, need to shut down Riewoldt, Monty, Goddard, Dal Santo
Eg. Geelong, need to shut down Chap, Stevie, Selwood, Bartel - at least.

If you cant shut down most of these players, others will fill the void like Corey, Enright, Kelly in Geelong do when one of their stars is a tad off.

It's not rocket science, but it often seems that way.  Essentially it just takes a team willing to work as a team, rather than play as individuals - a problem that John Worsfold needs to often address imo.

Chelskiman

Quote from: Slap on June 23, 2011, 03:02:42 PMI agree with your views.  You can't expect to win a game against a top team by shutting down their best player (Judd) and him only.  You need to be able to shut down 2/3 at least to have a shot, especially if your team isn't as skilful.

Eg.  Carlton, need to shut down Judd, Murphy, Gibbs - even Waite and Yarran to a lesser extent.

Eg. Richmond, need to shut down Martin, Cotchin, Deledio

:-X

Slap

Quote from: Chelskiman on June 23, 2011, 03:07:47 PM
Quote from: Slap on June 23, 2011, 03:02:42 PMI agree with your views.  You can't expect to win a game against a top team by shutting down their best player (Judd) and him only.  You need to be able to shut down 2/3 at least to have a shot, especially if your team isn't as skilful.

Yep, although the richmond one seems a little easier. haha.

Much like the WCE one :  you need to shut down ................no one.

plugz19

Quote from: Slap on June 23, 2011, 03:11:00 PM

cox, kennedy and lecras?

Slap

Quote from: plugz19 on June 23, 2011, 04:17:04 PM

cox, kennedy and lecras?

haha yeah bro, I was kidding.  Perhaps Embley and Hurn to a lesser extent.  And priddis flies under the radar a far bit aswell.

Memphistopheles

Quote from: plugz19 on June 23, 2011, 04:17:04 PM

cox, kennedy and lecras?

Against the Eagles you have to stop Cox and Nic Nat from dominating.
Whether this is by shutting down Priddis, Kerr, Embley etc or by your midfielders breaking the Selwood tag and sharking the taps/being first to the ball.
Do this and you have a massive chance of beating the Eagles.
Hurn’s long kicks are also a dangerous, while the Eagles powerful forward line needs negating â€"Kennedy, Lynch, Darling, LeCras, Nicoski and one of Cox/Natanui.
Best way to do this is to stop their supply