Main Menu

Top 10 AFL players in 2011

Started by bensomerford, June 22, 2011, 01:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3m4n

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on June 22, 2011, 05:24:23 PM
You have Daniel Wells ahead of Dustin Martin which is a terrible, terrible call. Sure he has had a great year but the impact he has made definitely isn't in the same degree as Dustin Martin. Martin has also put a decent amount of goals, quite a lot for a midfielder.

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Plus, there's no way Cloke belongs in the top 10.

AFEV

Cloke shouldn't be that high IMHO. He is a great player but putting him ahead of Watson, Mitchell, Wells, Selwood, Deledio, Franklin etc. is a bit much.

8-6 Suited

The leading contested mark in the league, and probably the best centre half forward right now by current form shouldn't be that high?

And actually he was supposed to be 10th and Dusty 9th but I mucked it up. :p

ossie85

Franklin and Cloke are the most influential key forwards in the AFL right now. Swear it wasn't bias! Otherwise I'd have Pendles at #1 and Heater in the top 10 lol

Cloke's on track to break the contested marks record this year....

MTTY

10. Scott Thompson
9. Brent Harvey
8. Steve Johnson
7. Dale Thomas
6. Gary Ablett
5. Travis Cloke
4. Matthew Boyd
3. Dean Cox
2. Scott Pendlebury
1. Marc Murphy

RiOtChEsS

Dustin Martin has won atleast 3 games off his own boot this year... easily top 10

ossie85

Quote from: Marcz on June 23, 2011, 02:08:23 AM
Dustin Martin has won atleast 3 games off his own boot this year... easily top 10

He won't make the All-Aus team. Pendles, Thomas, Murphy, Ablett, Priddis, Thompson, Judd, Boyd, Mitchell, Griffen, Dal Santo, Watson are all ahead of him IMO.

Martin is an absolute star though, but is still young :)

RiOtChEsS

they could squeeze him in on a flank being they did that for Swan a few year ago and he hadnt even played flank where Martin has...

even if he doesnt make AA his impact has been as great as any 8)

8-6 Suited

Martin is easily ahead of Watson at this point of the season. Remember, Watson missed a few weeks with his hamstring(?) so he dropped off a bit there, while Martin flourished in the last month.

AA selections can't look past this one stat though. 21.8 from a midfielder, the highest on the goal kicking list.

Holz

Quote from: Marcz on June 22, 2011, 03:27:22 PM
pretty solid list, difficult to dissect really... Dustin Martin anyone?

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on June 22, 2011, 03:03:23 PM
Marc Murphy should be higher than Judd. The way people suck on his pole astounds me.
if Judd doesnt take the number 1 tag Murph isnt as effective

much the same way Swan and Pendles r freeing up Daisy...

he handled the number 1 tag well didnt he  ;D

murphy is certainly underated gbut judd is the best player in his comp, not just for how he plays but more importantly what he gives to the team. Very few players can lift a team based on a solo peformance, i would say murphy cant do that, he still a top 10 player though.

i would disagree with a few picks, cloke i think would be a push for me to rate in the top 50. Showing my roos bias i would have to say swallow a top 10 player this year.

7 in possesions and 4th in contested , 14th in tackles and 71% effective disposal ( ahead of Boyd, Judd, Ablett, Swan etc..)
I cant find clearances but he would bu the top if not top of that list.

Boomz

Quote from: Holzman on June 23, 2011, 04:16:58 PM

Marc Murphy should be higher than Judd. The way people suck on his pole astounds me.

murphy is certainly underated gbut judd is the best player in his comp, not just for how he plays but more importantly what he gives to the team. Very few players can lift a team based on a solo peformance, i would say murphy cant do that, he still a top 10 player though.

i would disagree with a few picks, cloke i think would be a push for me to rate in the top 50. Showing my roos bias i would have to say swallow a top 10 player this year.

7 in possesions and 4th in contested , 14th in tackles and 71% effective disposal ( ahead of Boyd, Judd, Ablett, Swan etc..)

You lost me when u said that... As much as I hate Collingwood he is one of the best CHF's in the comp...

ossie85

I can accept if people think Cloke isn't top 10, but top 50 this year FOR SURE. At the very worst, he is in the top 4 key forwards this year (Buddy, JRoo, Kennedy, Cloke). Clearly automatic top 50.

Swallow is a great player, no doubt. But won't be top 10 until he wins/influences matches more IMO. In fairness, I haven't seen that many Roo games, so happy for poeple to disagree.

AFEV

Quote from: BOOMZ on June 23, 2011, 04:20:33 PM
Quote from: Holzman on June 23, 2011, 04:16:58 PM

You lost me when u said that... As much as I hate Collingwood he is one of the best CHF's in the comp...
I agree he is in my top 20 maybe top 15 for the year not my top 10 though.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: ossie85 on June 23, 2011, 04:22:31 PM
I can accept if people think Cloke isn't top 10, but top 50 this year FOR SURE. At the very worst, he is in the top 4 key forwards this year (Buddy, JRoo, Kennedy, Cloke). Clearly automatic top 50.

Swallow is a great player, no doubt. But won't be top 10 until he wins/influences matches more IMO. In fairness, I haven't seen that many Roo games, so happy for poeple to disagree.
I'd put Cloke top 20 easily, as he's probably the 2nd best Key Forward this season. But to have 2 Collingwood players in the top 10, yet only 1 Geelong player may be a bit much for me considering they are undefeated.

Martin I agree will be pushing strongly for AA selection. If Fyfe made the top 10 (original article), I reckon Martin has probably done the same as him, if not more for his team.

Holz

sorry i should have stated my point more clearly i would put cloke in my top 50 this year, but i still don't rate him as an easily top 50 player. maybee around 40-60.

He does take alot of contested marks but many of them are not inside 50. Kennedy and Franklin take more marks inside 50 and Jack has around the same inside 50 marks but with more goals. So i would put him probably 3-4 best key forward this season. going over his stats he has clearly lifted his game this season and is probably in the 20-30 range this season. But he is a player that has been overatted his whole career. Not even close to the top 10 this year, top 10 forward yes, player no.